Alex Mateas on Remington Watch List... | The Boneyard

Alex Mateas on Remington Watch List...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 10:56am via Twitter for iPhone
#UConn's Alex Mateas one of 66 centers named to @rimingtontrophy watch list runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/07/uconns…

>>UConn senior center Alex Mateas, who along with Geremy Davis is the only returning offensive player to start all 12 games during the 2013 season, was one of 66 centers named to the watch list for the Rimington Trophy.

Mateas had played in 20 games at UConn over the last two seasons after transferring from Penn State, starting 17 times and he is one of the few experienced players on an offensive line which lost four starters to graduation.

He has drawn praise from new UConn coach Bob Diaco for being one of the best leaders among the returning Huskies and it would be a surprise to nobody if he were to be named as one of UConn's team captains.

The list of candidates looks very much like the one put out a few months ago as the committee went from having 64 candidates on the spring watch list to 66 on the most current roll call.<<

Reaction Score
I think this is awesome. Gives some hope for our OL. However, 66 names...might as well just pick names out of hats.

Reaction Score
My hope for the OL is that Mateas has a very good year. Cruz comes back healthy and ready to go, and Gifford can be solid at one of the tackle spots. Then we need a couple of the youngsters to step up. That sounds serviceable to me. Foley will really earn his pay this season cleaning up GDL's mess.

Reaction Score
Who is that OL kid that went to St Thomas down in Florida? That place is a powerhouse

Reaction Score
ironically, we have 2 from St. Thomas Aquinas (Schaf., Crozier) and 1 from Don Bosco (Samra), 2 national powerhouses. As for me, I really want to see the Great Dane step up this fall

Reaction Score
ironically, we have 2 from St. Thomas Aquinas (Schaf., Crozier) and 1 from Don Bosco (Samra), 2 national powerhouses. As for me, I really want to see the Great Dane step up this fall
Thanks, hopefully we'll see improved play!

Reaction Score

When I talked with Diaco, he told me a few things about the OL. One of them was to watch out for Knappe. He's not game ready now, but if he continues to progress we may see him take over at RT at some point this year. Diaco also loves Levy and Mateas. Samra, Cruz, and Paull battling for the 2 open Guard spots.

Reaction Score
This is a nice honor for the young man. I think he'll certainly figure prominently into the success of the o-line this fall. However, to paraphrase a retweet by Ivan Maisel (sp) today, "if you have a center, get ready to see them on the Remington watch list later today."

Reaction Score
uconndogs said:
My hope for the OL is that Mateas has a very good year. Cruz comes back healthy and ready to go, and Gifford can be solid at one of the tackle spots. Then we need a couple of the youngsters to step up. That sounds serviceable to me. Foley will really earn his pay this season cleaning up GDL's mess.

This year will be the biggest challenge for Foley in his career. There are questions at all 5 positions. Just brutal last year.

The hope is the young pups got bigger and stronger during the offseason.

Reaction Score
Disagree with a lot of the thoughts on the offensive line. Last year's twos performed as good if not better than last year's ones

Reaction Score
Srqhusky said:
Disagree with a lot of the thoughts on the offensive line. Last year's twos performed as good if not better than last year's ones

And that's not saying a lot. That was the worst offensive line since UCONN went D 1.

The good news is lineman tend to get a lot better after a couple of years hitting the weights and redefining their bodies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As the OP stated, he was cited by HCBD as being one of the first veteran's to go ten toes in with the new regime.

For that act of leadership alone I'm grateful.

Reaction Score
As the OP stated, he was cited by HCBD as being one of the first veteran's to go ten toes in with the new regime.

For that act of leadership alone I'm grateful.
Exactly chin the ol needs a leader and glad to see him stepping up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duke79