Alex Karaban's family relieved Dan Hurley is back after 'stressful' weekend | The Boneyard

Alex Karaban's family relieved Dan Hurley is back after 'stressful' weekend

Reaction Score
Figured I'd put this in its own thread rather than bury it in the other long threads.

“Alex was very supportive and he would be happy for him if he would have taken that job,” Olga Karaban said. “At the same time, he wanted to play for Coach Hurley. It's happy and sad at the same time. … The weekend, it was dragging, dragging.”

Alternate access:

Alex Karaban's family relieved Dan Hurley is back with UConn men's basketball after 'stressful' weekend

Reaction Score
"I was super-excited for him to get the option and explore the opportunity that he had," Karaban said. "He's changed my life. He's changed thousands of other players' lives. We thought it was perfect for him to go consider it. Whether he took it or whether he came back I was happy because I love him as a person. When he did come back I was the happiest guy in the world to have another year with him and continue to get better and continue to elevate the UConn program. He's the best coach in the country and I'm glad to play under him again."

Alternate access:

Dan Hurley needed advice on his UConn-Lakers decision. Here's why he turned to Alex Karaban

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
On the talk circuit after he uttered the now immortal words "I'm staying" in the middle of a long answer on something, referring to college players, he said, as an aside "it's the last time you can coach them." Thinking that does Dan Hurley skip off to the NBA? He's told folks he is interested in going there, so why. Money is just money unless you don't have any, a problem that will not exist in Dan's lifetime. No more worlds to conquer, so I'll go be a management errand boy and player ego stroker? Bit of a nonsequitor I know.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Think of all of the opposing fans who've been devastated.
You know what fans I think about once in awhile, the Washington Huskies. They've had just three teams in the Sweet 16 over the last 30+ years and twice they lost to UConn is brutal fashion. Once on Rip's buzzer beater and the other in OT after Rashad hit a three with a second left in regulation to tie in 2006. They had UConn beat twice and twice UConn delivered the gut punch. They still think about those two games while UConn fans barely think of them at all. We've had too many other big games that rank ahead of them on the list.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You know what fans I think about once in awhile, the Washington Huskies. They've had just three teams in the Sweet 16 over the last 30+ years and twice they lost to UConn is brutal fashion. Once on Rip's buzzer beater and the other in OT after Rashad hit a three with a second left in regulation to tie in 2006. They had UConn beat twice and twice UConn delivered the gut punch. They still think about those two games while UConn fans barely think of them at all. We've had too many other big games that rank ahead of them on the list.
What has always stuck out in my mind about those two games was that we should have won both games comfortably (not necessarily blowouts, but with a multiple possession lead over the final five plus minutes) but barely got through. Then, we went on to lose the next game. Those games were basically evidence that we weren't quite there (1998 not experienced enough, 2006 not focused or determined enough).

Reaction Score
What has always stuck out in my mind about those two games was that we should have won both games comfortably (not necessarily blowouts, but with a multiple possession lead over the final five plus minutes) but barely got through. Then, we went on to lose the next game. Those games were basically evidence that we weren't quite there (1998 not experienced enough, 2006 not focused or determined enough).

Good posts.

Reaction Score
2006 and 2009....man....what those years could have been.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
2006 and 2009....man....what those years could have been.
This. These two inflicted the greatest emotional injury dating back to '82. Edit: Of course Laettner '90, but I think that one is to be assumed given how magical that year was.

Reaction Score
Might want to check the math on changing thousands of players lives as a basketball coach, unless we're counting opponents whose lives have been devastated.
You don't think that players at basketball camps count? Or maybe you just put no thought into the statement funny boy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom