OT: Album thread was Nice.......try 2 Movies, pic please! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Album thread was Nice.......try 2 Movies, pic please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'll have to think about my second choice but #1 is easy:
MPW-21363

I first saw it in Politics, propaganda and cinema at UConn. It wins hands down, at least for me.
So many other good choices, included many already listed. I'll give A Few Good Men the runner up prize and go with:
12_angry_men_1957.jpg

Reaction Score
One of the things that's tough is how you rate movies from the developmental period - say anything prior to 1970. Maybe. I'm no film expect.

I see old flicks, and they're enjoyable, but they're often rather silly. As in, nobody ever spoke or behaved that way, not even at the time the movies were made.

For example, I liked "Gone with the Wind," but it's tough to ignore the fact that the manner of speaking is completely contrived, and the complexity of the language among ordinary folks beyond anything that ordinary people ever spoke. It's like reading Dickens - enjoyable, but silly to imagine that it reflects reality even at a distance.

Also, how much angles and focus and stuff like that matters is a personal thing.

I'm much more of a story guy - tell me a great story. Other folks appreciate use of shadow, lighting, and so on.

And still other folks thought the Fast and the Furious was a good movie.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
as-good-as-it-gets-cover.jpg

As far as a "story" movie goes, this one was great. Jack's best performance IMHO. Bacon is the answer!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Props for Goodfellas and Departed.

Rocky and RockyII were both real good movies too. Hard to believe Stallone directed that stuff. He's laughed all the way to the bank with people thinking he was a bumbling idiot.

But, my god, we're 30 some posts in to this thread and no one has mentioned the best comedy ever with the best quotes.

Check out the link for some of the better quotes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080487/quotes

And, while the whole movies dragged out, the first half of Full Metal Jacket was non-stop, thrill a second cinematography.

Full Metal Jacket Quotes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/quotes

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Two of Mel Brook's best. I don't think you could make Blazing Saddles today.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Favorite Comedy and Must see Theater Experience
borat.jpg

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
No matter how many times this is on tv, I'm going to watch.......................
50a2_1.JPG

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
MV5BMTYyMzM3MzgyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTI4MzUyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg
220px-The_nightmare_before_christmas_poster.jpg

There are better movies out there than these, but I really, really like these four.

Barton Fink was quirky as hell and I don't know anyone who liked it as much as I did. Beauty and the Beast because it was just art and I can't imagine any sort of favorites list without Disney animation. I could throw a few Pixar films in its place and be just as happy. Big Fish was strange and great, The Nightmare Before Christmas was stranger and greater.

Reaction Score
I posted my two: but Deliverance isn't anyone's top two movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom