Albert Finney | The Boneyard

Albert Finney

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He died last week. This was one of the bigger under-the-radar stars of the last 50+ years, if that is possible. He has 5 Oscar nominations, 9 Golden Globe nominations (including 3 wins) and 2 Emmy noms (1 win). He is best known to modern audiences for Erin Brockovich, but he has been in a ton of movies, most of them very good. He was selective in his movie choices, rarely chasing an easy paycheck, but he had enough box office hits to keep getting leading, or major supporting, roles. Skyfall was his last movie, and with two Bourne movies, his only franchise films.

I strongly recommend the movie Big Fish (2003). Finney is amazing in a weird little movie that is very good if a bit emotionally manipulative. It is always on a cable channel somewhere.

It is strange that his death has not gotten more publicity.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wow, I am shocked it wasn't bigger news and that I am just learning about it here.

For some reason his role in Miller's Crossing is always the one that comes to mind first when I think of him.

R.I.P.

Reaction Score
Skyfall was his last movie, and with two Bourne movies, his only franchise films.

Didn't he also appear in Ocean's Twelve?

Despite it being in a trite musical version of the story, I think he is by far the best Scrooge to appear on film.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He died last week. This was one of the bigger under-the-radar stars of the last 50+ years, if that is possible. He has 5 Oscar nominations, 9 Golden Globe nominations (including 3 wins) and 2 Emmy noms (1 win). He is best known to modern audiences for Erin Brockovich, but he has been in a ton of movies, most of them very good. He was selective in his movie choices, rarely chasing an easy paycheck, but he had enough box office hits to keep getting leading, or major supporting, roles. Skyfall was his last movie, and with two Bourne movies, his only franchise films.

I strongly recommend the movie Big Fish (2003). Finney is amazing in a weird little movie that is very good if a bit emotionally manipulative. It is always on a cable channel somewhere.

It is strange that his death has not gotten more publicity.

Yeah. I hadn't heard a thing about it. I loved Big Fish, it was a truly unique movie. For Coen Bros. fans, he was also Leo in Miller's Crossing.

Despite it being in a trite musical version of the story, I think he is by far the best Scrooge to appear on film.

Nah. Nothing against Finney, but nobody will ever top Alastair Sim.

Reaction Score
I got Big Fish on DVD as a Christmas gift many years ago. I had heard of it before, but never gave much thought to watching it. Finally, I did watch it. Big Fish is quality stuff. A nice tall tale of a movie. Definitely something I wouldn't mind watching again and again.

I'm in agreement with @storrsroars. Alistair Sim is the best Scrooge I've seen, and that film version of the Dickens classic is one of my favorite Christmas movies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom