Alan Bestwick(I think) | The Boneyard

Alan Bestwick(I think)

Reaction Score
I have enjoyed Alan all season and and I think he has done a good job. I was disappointed Eric Freede was not on SNY this year, but Alan has done as well. He works great with Meagan and does not go crazy talking about things other than the game and the players. I thought someone would bring this up..

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I have enjoyed Alan all season and and I think he has done a good job. I was disappointed Eric Freede was not on SNY this year, but Alan has done as well. He works great with Meagan and does not go crazy talking about things other than the game and the players. I thought someone would bring this up..

I fully agree: he pretty much sticks to the game action, which, after all, is what we tune in for.

Reaction Score

I saw Eric on the SEC Network recently. He is a good play-by-play person but his counterpart was no Meghan. She really helped Eric to interact more in funny ways.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Alan has been great as an announcer. His delivery is smooth, he has good knowledge of the game and the team. He and Meg match up well.

Eric has been doing a whole host of games on ESPN like the SEC Network. His delivery is still one of the best. His ESPN partners have been less than stellar.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I like Eric a lot but Alan has been great as well. I was concerned about the SNY situation given all the moving parts, and am thrilled that they will be covering UCWBB for the foreseeable future. SNY really gives the UConn program the respect it deserves and has earned. First class.

Like Eric, Alan does his homework and focuses on what is going on in front of him and doesn’t get sidetracked with long, boring and often self-serving ramblings like ESPN. Celtics announcer Mike Gorman did some UConn women’s games for CPTV back in the nineties and his style really works for me. Alan is similar in style.

Also like Megan for her knowledge and enthusiasm. I ran into her in West Hartford last spring and we chatted about UConn and the uncertainty that then existed with SNY. Happy for her that it has worked out. She could not have been nicer.

Reaction Score
I was unsure at season's start, but now i m quite happy with Alan Bestwick's style and knowledge as well as former UConn forward Meghan Culmo as a game analyst and Maria Marino as the network’s in-game reporter.
Of course, Eric Frede and Justine Ward were excellent in prior years, eh? But no drop-off this year IMO.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Celtics announcer Mike Gorman did some UConn women’s games for CPTV back in the nineties and his style really works for me.

Yeah I remember Gorman doing some games back then. IIRC, he did some games when the NBA had a lockout in the late 90s. Another motivation Gorman had was that his daughter (who was 10 ish I think at the time?) was a huge UCONN WBB fan and she got to go with dad to the games he covered.

Until Frede came along, he was my favorite all time UConn BB announcer.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Allan has been very good and no one is happier than me. Still, I always react the same way when he comes on.

He looks uncomfortable with a shirt collar too tight. :oops:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was skeptical at the beginning of the season, but I like Alan almost as much as I liked Eric Freede. I'm happy with the broadcasts.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I was unsure at season's start, but now i m quite happy with Alan Bestwick's style and knowledge as well as former UConn forward Meghan Culmo as a game analyst and Maria Marino as the network’s in-game reporter.
Of course, Eric Frede and Justine Ward were excellent in prior years, eh? But no drop-off this year IMO.
Some BYers must not agree as to the "no drop-off" comment. Justine's Guy has dropped off the board since the fair Justine departed. ;) But I do concur that this season's cast has done well.

Reaction Score
Bestwick's attention to what is going on in the game has really been a breath of fresh air. For me, much better than Frede or Picozzi. He does what play-by-play people are supposed to do- who's on the floor? foul is on who? etc. Now if they can just get a good color commentator , though they are harder to find.

Reaction Score
Bestwick's attention to what is going on in the game has really been a breath of fresh air. For me, much better than Frede or Picozzi. He does what play-by-play people are supposed to do- who's on the floor? foul is on who? etc. Now if they can just get a good color commentator , though they are harder to find.
Yes Bestwick is good but Culmo is at least his equal in her role .. I like the combo... and the court-side reporter has grown on me, she asks Geno good questions and does her homework..

Reaction Score
Fave team was ESPN pairing of Doris and Dave.
My favourite broadcasting team [by far] was Stacy Dales and Kara Lawson .. they had CHEMISTRY in spades!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
If you want bad announcers, watch any PAC-12 Network game.
Why would anyone want bad announcers? Smart-aleck font off.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I've watched a couple of games on PAC-12 & the announcers were almost never critical of bad play. Right now I'm watching Maryland-Minn. If I read the chiron correctly, Mike Thibault is teaming up with Rebecca L. for color analysis (play by play announcer's voice seems very familiar, but I don't have a name). Anyways, Thibault (if that's him) is very good. Would be fun to see him do guest color on a UConn game.

Reaction Score
My favourite broadcasting team [by far] was Stacy Dales and Kara Lawson .. they had CHEMISTRY in spades!
In my opinion Kara Lawson was one of the best announcers across all sports and gender. Really do appreciate the way that she calls a game.

When I went to see the Baylor - ASU game on the reservation in February 2019 ESPN had the first team crew up there with Rebecca Lobo, Kara Lawson and Holly Rowe.

It was a great game and afterwards I went up to say how much I admired the three. Rebecca and Holly were dressed to the nines. Kara Lawson was wearing jeans and a very casual shirt. Evidently her luggage and somehow got lost in the trip up to Window Rock.

Reaction Score
He's gotten better over the course of the year. Definitely not as "smooth" as Eric. He said some awkward things at the beginning of the year, but now, he is good. Is always prepared, knowledgeable and tries to bring energy.

Reaction Score
Allen is a great guy !! We're lucky to have two great broadcast teams !! Bob & Deb do an outstanding job on the radio as well...It's ESPN of some sort the rest of the season on TV..

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah I remember Gorman doing some games back then. IIRC, he did some games when the NBA had a lockout in the late 90s.
He wasn't the full-time Celtics guy for a couple years and that's when he did many WBB games. He called a UConn game the same way he called a Celtic's game. I think he helped their growth.

Reaction Score
He's gotten better over the course of the year. Definitely not as "smooth" as Eric. He said some awkward things at the beginning of the year, but now, he is good. Is always prepared, knowledgeable and tries to bring energy.
I agree..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom