Alabama @ #14 Mississippi St - 1/14/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alabama @ #14 Mississippi St - 1/14/21

Who will win this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
While I agree, the defense is no where near the intensity it was under Vic as it is under McCray. I also think they go lifeless often in games and go through the motion, thats my observation at least.

Is the roster Vic left to Nikki perfect? Not necessarily, but he left the program with a lot of talent.
I don’t disagree he left a lot of talent. The biggest issue last season is there was no clear leader and no “tough” player, either mentally or physically. T McCowan, M William, R Johnson, V Vivians, B Schaefer, A Howard, and J Holmes were all tough mentally and physically. Last year J Danberry had to go from a role player to a leadership role that she wasn’t comfortable playing.
Coach Schaefer benched R Jackson at least once last season. Unfortunately it appears Coach McCray-Penson had to do it tonight. I’m more confused as to the drop in playing time for J Mingo-Young. She started hot but obviously something has changed.
I know your position on Pat Summit players that later become coaches. I’m still in a wait and see mode on Coach McCray-Penson. She obviously has been successful in the past. However I wonder sometimes if the players thought that with her being an assistant for Coach Staley MSU would suddenly be another South Carolina clone. I’m going to wait and see how the season plays out.

Reaction Score
I am concerned but I do not see a coach problem, I see a leadership and physically problem. We do not have that PG quarterback who knows the skills of the other players and makes sure the ball get to the right player in the right spot nor do we have the physical post play of Big Tee, I think we miss Morgan and Jazz and Big Tee more than we miss Vic.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I am concerned but I do not see a coach problem, I see a leadership and physically problem. We do not have that PG quarterback who knows the skills of the other players and makes sure the ball get to the right player in the right spot nor do we have the physical post play of Big Tee, I think we miss Morgan and Jazz and Big Tee more than we miss Vic.

It's the coach. Vic would never go 3-4 to start in the SEC. Vic also would never drop from #6 to #22 in an instant. Last year, he dropped from #8 at the beginning of the year to #9 at the end of the year - in fact.

Also, this team got pretty much everyone back. The only difference is the coach and her staff.

Reaction Score
Its still too early to tell but I haven't been super impressed with McCray so far at least. The core group returned (Jackson, Matharu, Taylor, Mingo Young, Carter, Wiggins), Cooks became eligible and they added Madison Hayes. I was expecting better quality play for them. They just look extremely lazy so far defensively. They were fortunate not to drop the game to Ole Miss the other day.

K. Harper has also been disappointing to me as well. She might be a slightly better Holly Warlick who dresses better but without all the top 10 recruits.
Vic obviously took his defensive intensity with him to Texas. They look like like a totally different team on that end (Longhorns) while MSST looks relaxed unlike what im use to seeing from the Bulldogs.

Reaction Score
Florida has cut it to 4. Fear the
It's the coach. Vic would never go 3-4 to start in the SEC. Vic also would never drop from #6 to #22 in an instant. Last year, he dropped from #8 at the beginning of the year to #9 at the end of the year - in fact.

Also, this team got pretty much everyone back. The only difference is the coach and her staff.

Hard to escape the reasoning that Miss State would be better with Vic.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

It's almost always difficult for a new coach to fully connect and implement their system right off the bat, but MSU should be a lot better than they are. Fact is Vic always had his girls playing aggressively and playing hard. That hasn't been the case with McCray so far. They can still improve but there is a lot of talent on the roster and they should be whipping teams like Alabama and Mississippi.

Reaction Score
Dear Bullies:

Many (not all) of your fans refused to acknowledge that the coaching change would have a detrimental effect. It did. I'm not criticizing. Many of our fans refused to recognize that the loss of our two senior leaders would create a problem. It has.

I think these are just growing pains for y'all. Nikki hasn't had time to put her stamp on your team yet - in probably the most trying season ever. Hang in with her. This season will be tough but I expect to see a more cohesive Miss State team by tournament time.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
It's almost always difficult for a new coach to fully connect and implement their system right off the bat, but MSU should be a lot better than they are. Fact is Vic always had his girls playing aggressively and playing hard. That hasn't been the case with McCray so far. They can still improve but there is a lot of talent on the roster and they should be whipping teams like Alabama and Mississippi.
When Myah Taylor scores 15 points, Vic would be lounging on his chair enjoying an easy blowout. (See A&M game last year) Kinda easy to see the effect of a coach, when Vic has an advantage like that he coasts. We got everyone back. Going 3-4 to start the SEC is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Is Lawson considered part of that tree?
Yep but lets see what happens 3 years from now. She may end up being great or average, who knows.You can't exactly judge much of anything based off of this

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 1.29.56 PM.png

Reaction Score
When Myah Taylor scores 15 points, Vic would be lounging on his chair enjoying an easy blowout. (See A&M game last year) Kinda easy to see the effect of a coach, when Vic has an advantage like that he coasts. We got everyone back. Going 3-4 to start the SEC is unacceptable.

Maybe you'll should give Alabama some credit. They did beat M. State on there homecourt last year when Vic was the coach.

Reaction Score
Alabama is better than what people think. Lewis, Walker, and Copeland make up one of the better trios in the SEC. And when Abrams and Barber can get involved in scoring like last night they’re a very tough out.

Reaction Score
Alabama is good, so I am not that worried about M. State losing to them. If you buy into score comparing does it worry anyone that M. State struggled to put away Ole Miss but even Missouri had easier time beating Ole Miss? I don't think anyone would say Mizzou is better than M. State

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think MSU has a Rickea Jackson problem 1st and a guard problem second and a coaching problem 3rd. Rickea is very talented but yet she’s not leading or playing like it consistently enough. If she put in the effort that Carter does, whoa....
To me, even with Vic, this is a 12-16 ranked team and 3/4/5 SEC team behind SC and A&M and in the mix with Kentucky and Arkansas.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I think MSU has a Rickea Jackson problem 1st and a guard problem second and a coaching problem 3rd. Rickea is very talented but yet she’s not leading or playing like it consistently enough. If she put in the effort that Carter does, whoa....
To me, even with Vic, this is a 12-16 ranked team and 3/4/5 SEC team behind SC and A&M and in the mix with Kentucky and Arkansas.
Don't know what you're saying. Jackson outplayed Carter vs Kentucky and Alabama. Now against Ole Miss and Georgia, Carter played better. But they're both in the Top 10 in the SEC in scoring, and both are pretty consistent.

We're not lethal at the guard position - I do agree we could use a real scoring guard ala Chelsea Dungee in the lineup.... along with Taylor, Matharu, Jackson, and Carter. But you don't get everything but the kitchen sink.... nobody inherited a better situation than McCray since Holly Warlick.

With Vic, we'd have one loss at most.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Alabama is better than what people think. Lewis, Walker, and Copeland make up one of the better trios in the SEC. And when Abrams and Barber can get involved in scoring like last night they’re a very tough out.
I really, really like Walker. She is now one of my favorite players. She is tough and she is clutch. I meant to say Lewis, not Walker.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really, really like Walker. She is now one of my favorite players. She is tough and she is clutch.

Yes! I liked her since she was at Florida St. very good shooter at the forward spot.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Walker is one of the most underrated players in the country. Lewis as well.
I meant to say I really, really like Lewis. I have not watched Walker much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom