Akok | The Boneyard

Akok

Reaction Score
Akok came out very aggressive on offense. He threw up six shots in the first ten minutes or so. He missed them all. And even though he was ineffective, I liked the aggression. I would have liked to have seen it in November. He needs to do this to grow. Offensively, he is terrible. He finished the night 1-9. But he will not progress if he doesn't shoot. Plus if he doesn't shoot, his defensive man only has to concentrate on blocking him out.

The seaon is pretty much circling the bowl. But if Akok can develop some offense, it won't be a total loss. He needs to get up shots. I was encouraged he came out so confidently. He needs to do this much more often. And if we lose another game because of it, just toss it on top of the pile.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see him going to the rim more but I agree he should shoot this much even if he misses. He is not missing by much and I have faith he'll get there eventually.

Reaction Score
He AA needs to develop and contribute for this team to go anywhere. Let's get the next 2 home games. I and the rest of us need to get behind the team. I'LL be there for all the home games and expect to see some Ws. We're getting better but how sweet it will be when we break thru.

Reaction Score
The 3s will come, but the fade-away jumpers and hook shots from impossible angles are as good as turnovers. He gets tunnel vision sometimes and commits to shooting when he’s better off keeping the ball moving. He’ll learn. He had an off night, but nobody was scoring in the half court.

Reaction Score
He gets a pass for the missed shots. I want to see him go for those shots. They weren't bad shots either, they were chances that he can put away but they didn't go down. I'm sure he gets full authority to take shots at will because he made some nice moves last night like that second half drive that just bounced off the rim and some open J's that would go in any other game for him.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
He gets a pass for the missed shots. I want to see him go for those shots. They weren't bad shots either, they were chances that he can put away but they didn't go down. I'm sure he gets full authority to take shots at will because he made some nice moves last night like that second half drive that just bounced off the rim and some open J's that would go in any other game for him.
that drive that ended in a high off the glass, then clanking off the near side of the rim was a textbook example of someone new to this. do it again. and again. and soon he'll get the hang of it. I particularly liked the play where he had a three for a split second, but the d guy closed, so he put a weak fake, then moved closer to try a baseline j. also clanked short, but indicative for his ability to expand his mind. noice.

Reaction Score
Gilbert has gotten much of the blame but Akok has been really bad lately. 1-14 combined in two very winnable games vs Wichita State and Houston with one block. We win both of those games if he plays halfway decent. Don’t know if it’s a lack of confidence or a slump but we need him to pick it up soon to even have an NIT chance.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I'm with you on this. I loved seeing Akok seeking out his shot. I want him playing with confidence on the offensive end.
Cant remember if it was after a missed shot or he was on D but Akok landed on the floor under the hoop. He was dejected right at that moment. It did not affect his motor, tho. He played on hard.

Reaction Score
I love his potential as a pick and pop or pick and roll guy. Of course, he's not limited to that, but he could really be valuable in that role.
What I really love is his discretion on the defensive end most of the time. He uses both hands and know sometimes he's just out of position to help and there's nothing he could do. Brimah used to drive me nuts trying to block absolutely everything... even sending his own teammates flying at times.

Reaction Score
I am disappointment in the development of our 3 freshmen. Reading the pre season board you would think they were all ready to contribute to a successful season. Over hyped. We are 18 games in, can anybody say they have improved since game one? Boughnight and Akok have regressed. I feel like a Brooklyn Dodger fan - wait till next year.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Cant remember if it was after a missed shot or he was on D but Akok landed on the floor under the hoop. He was dejected right at that moment. It did not affect his motor, tho. He played on hard.
how cool is it that, pert near every time he runs back to play d, he cocks his bows, wrists and fists high, and chugs back down the floor, ready to do some bitness. damn near iconic. luv me sum chuggin' a-kookin'.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
A great late 2nd half run for him. Akok blocks and a jam getting us tied at 19 points.

Any time he is on bench the team is weakened.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
A great late 2nd half run for him. Akok blocks and a jam getting us tied at 19 points.

Any time he is on bench the team is weakened.

saving a player with too many fouls at this point seems pretty dumb. Play them until they foul out.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He doesn’t take bad shots so let him shoot. The season should focus on making the NIT and developing our freshmen

I think the NIT is our best case scenario at this point. We're 1-4 in conference and we'll on our way to 1-5. Even finishing at .500 in conference play will be a struggle at this point.

Reaction Score
saving a player with too many fouls at this point seems pretty dumb. Play them until they foul out.
Exactly. Bouk just picked up his third carelessly and came out. What do you have to lose??

Reaction Score
he needs to be getting into areas closer to the basket before he goes up with the ball or he needs to be going towards the basket... its as simple as that, his range should be within 10 feet from the basket and in.

I want to see him making drives and cuts towards the rim, with and without the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom