Akok: I really think he has a world of talent. | The Boneyard

Akok: I really think he has a world of talent.

Reaction Score
I really think he has a world of talent. He's super skinny but super bouncy, smooth stroke, can handle some, and block shots. The biggest thing I notice with him is he moves differently than everyone else, he's really fast and bounces off the floor when he runs...You always hear the overused expression for a mobile big who gets down the court quickly that he "runs like a deer" well Akok actually does move around the court like a gazelle.

We need to draw a lot of stuff up to take advantage of Bouknight and Akok's talents.

Reaction Score
The talent is clearly there, but I expect wild inconsistency. His offensive game, at least in the halfcourt, does not look instinctive at all. Against Sacred Heart, he drifted and generally looked awkward. He was much better against St. Joes. I expect that he'll struggle against the stronger bigs that we face this year, but he's also going to throw in a bunch of very solid games.

Reaction Score
The steal he had that led to that dunk for him at the end of the game was all I needed to see. How many of our guys have that sort of bounce? Maybe bouk? Love this kids game. Seems like he just puts his head down and works everyday to perfect his craft. I’m expecting big things for him.

Reaction Score
Love him. He’s gonna be a player. He ll prolly surpass the rest of our guys in b-ball iq and court awareness by February. Shoot , he was the only one who looked halfway decent wed night -

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Akok moves very well and, against these smaller teams we’ve seen, is longer and leaner than anyone they can put on him to guard him. As he showed on the breakaway dunk, he has also has quick hands and some explosiveness to his game. He’s a tough matchup for smaller teams. I wanted to see him get the ball far more times than he did on Wednesday.

Reaction Score
The steal he had that led to that dunk for him at the end of the game was all I needed to see. How many of our guys have that sort of bounce? Maybe bouk? Love this kids game. Seems like he just puts his head down and works everyday to perfect his craft. I’m expecting big things for him.
When Akok started dribbling the ball after that steal my first instinct was "oh no," thinking he would turn the ball back over or commit an offensive foul or something else bad. The way he effortlessly and athletically moved past the defender for that dunk was sick. Not a move you expect from a 6'9" freshman in his second game. Add in the three pointers and the blocks, and it was a really impressive performance, despite the overall result.

Reaction Score
From now on when teams are playing small, we should see a reduction in Carlton’s PT and more of Akok at the 5.

Carlton has struggled to take advantage of size mismatches offensively with any consistency, and he has struggled defensively against any sort of speed. When you’re not athletic and not particularly tall, it limits what matchups you can be effective in. This I think has played a large part in Carlton’s consistency issues too.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
From now on when teams are playing small, we should see a reduction in Carlton’s PT and more of Akok at the 5.

Carlton has struggled to take advantage of size mismatches offensively with any consistency, and he has struggled defensively against any sort of speed. When you’re not athletic and not particularly tall, it limits what matchups you can be effective in. This I think has played a large part in Carlton’s consistency issues too.

This is why Akok is so important against those smaller teams. If those teams have tall guys, they’re probably not all that athletic or they’d be playing at high majors. Or those teams have athletic undersized guys. We have an athletic guy at the correct height for a PF. Feed him. He will slip around the unathletic dudes and catch the ball over the heads of the athletic ones.

Reaction Score
The bounce wasn't the most impressive part, the defender tried to cut him off and just didn't remotely account for how far two steps can get that man. His athleticism combined with how long he is just gets him to the basket so quickly when he has a head of steam.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I agree with everyone above on Akok. He is a Hurley player. He just seems to have that motor, always moving and glides around the court in addition to his skills. What's not lo like ?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
After seeing the first 2 games and how Hurley plans to use him, there really should not be a big concern about his bulk (or lack there of). We aren't going to have him playing a bruiser style on offense and only in the most desperate of situations will he be used like that on defense.

As a comparison of who he can turn into professionally, I always think Pascal Siakam when I see his game. Siakam is starting to come into his own as an insanely athletic but skinner 4 (listed at 6'9" and 230) who can spread the floor, play good D and grab a bunch of boards. I think this is the type of player Akok will also develop into.

Excited to watch him develop during his time at UConn and, undoubtedly, eventually in the NBA.

Reaction Score
When Akok started dribbling the ball after that steal my first instinct was "oh no," thinking he would turn the ball back over or commit an offensive foul or something else bad. The way he effortlessly and athletically moved past the defender for that dunk was sick. Not a move you expect from a 6'9" freshman in his second game. Add in the three pointers and the blocks, and it was a really impressive performance, despite the overall result.

i thought that play was almost giannis-esque! slippery euro-step move into a really powerful slam. when was the last time we have seen that from a uconn forward??

Reaction Score
Big time agree with this. I said out loud "we haven't had a big that can do that in a while".

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
i thought that play was almost giannis-esque! slippery euro-step move into a really powerful slam. when was the last time we have seen that from a uconn forward??
We haven’t seen his combo of size and skill since we had Rudy Gay.

Reaction Score
After seeing the first 2 games and how Hurley plans to use him, there really should not be a big concern about his bulk (or lack there of). We aren't going to have him playing a bruiser style on offense and only in the most desperate of situations will he be used like that on defense.

As a comparison of who he can turn into professionally, I always think Pascal Siakam when I see his game. Siakam is starting to come into his own as an insanely athletic but skinner 4 (listed at 6'9" and 230) who can spread the floor, play good D and grab a bunch of boards. I think this is the type of player Akok will also develop into.

Excited to watch him develop during his time at UConn and, undoubtedly, eventually in the NBA.

You’re right. His legs are skinny but so what. His upper body is defined and not small at all for a freshman. It’s all about talent, and akok has it.

Reaction Score
He played a good game. He has a world of potential. But let's see. There are a lot of questions marks -- basketball iq, hand strength, strength generally. I'm not convinced he's going to be an average AAC 4 man at this point. Hope he's better than that but we'll have to see.

Reaction Score
I really think he has a world of talent. He's super skinny but super bouncy, smooth stroke, can handle some, and block shots. The biggest thing I notice with him is he moves differently than everyone else, he's really fast and bounces off the floor when he runs...You always hear the overused expression for a mobile big who gets down the court quickly that he "runs like a deer" well Akok actually does move around the court like a gazelle.

We need to draw a lot of stuff up to take advantage of Bouknight and Akok's talents.

I totally agree. He runs effortlessly. His handle was surprising to me the other night. Sky is the limit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least no one is calling him raw anymore.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The bounce wasn't the most impressive part, the defender tried to cut him off and just didn't remotely account for how far two steps can get that man. His athleticism combined with how long he is just gets him to the basket so quickly when he has a head of steam.
I had to laugh at myself. When he took off for the dunk, I thought, 'Oh no! He's too far from the hoop!' Nope, he had a dead center throw down. He's quite an athlete; the steal, the drive, the defense, the leap, the slam. He had it all in about 3 seconds of playing time.

Reaction Score
I had to laugh at myself. When he took off for the dunk, I thought, 'Oh no! He's too far from the hoop!' Nope, he had a dead center throw down. He's quite an athlete; the steal, the drive, the defense, the leap, the slam. He had it all in about 3 seconds of playing time.
Same here, figured for sure he’d get caught in no man’s land.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think Ako k will be good but uneven this year, better next year and awesome as a junior.
i realize predicting him to get better each year is not exactly going out on a limb. But we are just scratching the surface with this kid.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Same here, figured for sure he’d get caught in no man’s land.
Yup and yet it looked to me like he hit the rim about 3 inches up from his wrist.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Sticks and Rudy?

Reaction Score
I think Ako k will be good but uneven this year, better next year and awesome as a junior.
i realize predicting him to get better each year is not exactly going out on a limb. But we are just scratching the surface with this kid.
Agreed with you but would caution against predicting that Akok be on the roster as a junior. He came here a year early to get a head start on his career plans. If we get a promising-but-uneven freshman year and a consistent-with-flashes-of-dominance sophomore year, then he's gone before his junior year. When he signed, some even thought he might only play 1 year for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom