A'ja Wilson | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the end of John Altavilla's blog about Sadie Edwards' commitment, it has the following nugget of information:

The Huskies are also recruiting a number of other players for 2014, the most significant 6-5 center A’ja Wilson of South Carolina. Wilson is apparently deciding between UConn and South Carolina.

We know that Geno has been to see A'ja play numerous times since the beginning of the year, including twice in one week. This would be a HUGE get for the Huskies, as a post player is something the team desperately needs heading into 2014-15, as our remaining true post players will be Kiah Stokes (senior) and Morgan Tuck (junior), with Breanna Stewart (junior) playing more of a 3/4 role.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
"Wilson is apparently deciding between UConn and South Carolina."

Praying-Hands-2007.jpg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Altavilla said the same thing in one of his chats several weeks ago. He probably repeated it today. I don't think he knows what's going on. She hasn't made a visit to UConn. The most we can say at this point is that UConn is in the mix.

BTW, despite Wilson's size, she does not consider herself a post player and does not want to play in the post:

"I talk to coaches, they're like, 'Yeah we'll put you down in the post.' I'm like, 'Whoa, whoa, I'm a guard,' " Wilson said. "There's plenty of girls out there who love to bang. That's just not me.

Reaction Score
Asia needs to see how fluid Geno's use of both Stef and Breanna are in the offense and defense...she can use and develop all her talents here!

Reaction Score
Altavilla said the same thing in one of his chats several weeks ago. He probably repeated it today. I don't think he knows what's going on. She hasn't made a visit to UConn. The most we can say at this point is is that UConn is in the mix.

BTW, despite Wilson's size, she does not consider herself a post player and does not want to play in the post:

"I talk to coaches, they're like, 'Yeah we'll put you down in the post.' I'm like, 'Whoa, whoa, I'm a guard,' " Wilson said. "There's plenty of girls out there who love to bang. That's just not me.

Based on that quote, even if we get her we are going to need a post that likes to be inside.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is not an elite program in the country that is not going to require Wilson to learn to play post even if they allow her time on the perimeter. If they do so they will be neglecting a responsibility to help her develop her whole game.

Reaction Score
Agree!
There is not an elite program in the country that is not going to require Wilson to learn to play post even if they allow her time on the perimeter.nIf they do so they will be neglecting a responsibility to help her develop her whole game.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
There is not an elite program in the country that is not going to require Wilson to learn to play post even if they allow her time on the perimeter.nIf they do so they will be neglecting a responsibility to help her develop her whole game.

Unfortunately, given that A'ja's desires are so clearly stated (playing guard), this may give Dawn an edge. She may well promise A'ja that she will be used primarily as a perimeter player. Geno would never make that kind of promise.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not sure how much this guy is in the know. From what I can tell he has a BlueStar connection.

Derrick Mullen ‏@Hoopsking1968 5h
@cterrier100 well Brianna Turner headed to Baylor. Don't think Uconn will get Aja Wilson. Think she goes to South Carolina.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, given that A'ja's desires are so clearly stated (playing guard), this may give Dawn an edge. She may well promise A'ja that she will be used primarily as a perimeter player. Geno would never make that kind of promise.
I don't think it is true at all that this gives SC an edge. I think Wilson is a sharp enough kid to figure out that if she wants to play at the international level and the WNBA she will need experience in the post and that an offense like UConn's which offers the opportunities Stef and Brianna have at multiple locations on the floor including 3s fits her present game and her development needs very, very well. Both Dawn and Geno will speak very honestly with her about her needs for developing a pro game. Candace Parker uses an inside and outside game because the pro game demands it.

Another part of reality for A'ja is that the speed and athleticism of the college game and the concentration of talent has forced many big guards to reevaluate their best position on the court. In college she is likely best suited to a 3/4. This is exactly one of realities Breanna has encountered this year.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I don't think it is true at all that this gives SC an edge. I think Wilson is a sharp enough kid to figure out that if she wants to play at the international level and the WNBA she will need experience in the post and that an offense like UConn's which offers the opportunities Stef and Brianna have at multiple locations on the floor including 3s fits her present game and her development needs very, very well. Both Dawn and Geno will speak very honestly with her about her needs for developing a pro game. Candace Parker uses an inside and outside game because the pro game demands it.

Another part of reality for Aj'a is that the speed and athleticism of the college game and the concentration of talent has forced many big guards to reevaluate their best position on the court. In college she is likely best suited to a 3/4. This is exactly one of realities Breanna has encountered this year.

Of course a balanced game will be best for her career. And I don't doubt that she is 'sharp enough' to understand this. I'm sure she's smart. But as we have seen many times, sometimes high school kids make thoughtful decisions and sometimes they appear not to........ They are, after all, kids.

The question that won't be answered until she verbals and signs her NLI is: What does she want today? And what does she want to hear from the coach whose program she chooses? We have no idea - other than a number of quotes which have been quite consistent on the matter. In addition, although I respect Dawn as a winner, a good coach and a Team USA legend, I don't think we know what she or other coaches might say during the recruiting process when they're dealing with a #1 prospect. (You're more confident than I.) We've heard enough of Geno's comments on UCONN's process over the years to know that he won't even make any kind of promises on playing time, much less specific roles and positions on the court, no matter how highly ranked the player is.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My objection is not that UConn is in the lead just that it is impossible to know because Wilson is smart enough to figure it out or choose otherwise. It may or may not happen and, absolutely nothing may be clear until she signs her NLI. That was my guiding expectation.

If she wants the future of a Pro career the comparison of SC and UCONN yields a huge advantage to UCONN based on a comparison of the careers of SC and Temple players vs UCONN players. There is a difference between being a Pro and preparing kids to be a Pro. No one preps kids better for pro careers than Geno and staff. To date Dawn doesn't compare but she would be irresponsible not to challenge Wilson to develop her whole game. Wilson's game needs to be challenged not coddled if she truly wants to be her best.

If Geno is still doing follow ups it is clear that he doesn't think he is wasting his time.

A'ja will figure it out and make a choice based on her goals and which program she thinks will best suit them but I still like our chances.

Reaction Score
My objection is not that UConn is in the lead just that it is impossible to know because Wilson is smart enough to figure it out or choose otherwise. It may or may not happen. If she wants the future of a Pro career the comparison of SC and UCONN yields a huge advantage to UCONN based on a comparison of the careers of SC and Temple players vs UCONN players. No one preps kids better for pro careers than Geno and staff. To date Dawn doesn't compare but she would be irresponsible not to challenge Wilson to develop her whole game. Wilson's game needs to be challenged not coddled if she truly wants to be her best.

A'ja will figure it out and make a choice based on her goals and which program she thinks will best suit them but I still like our chances.

If she chooses SC, who's the backup for a post-like player with similar size (let's say 6'3" or taller).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is Kathryn Westbeld who is 6'2". She like A'ja Wilson and Turner are all listed as F. There are no centers.

Nan's list link

Nor are we listed in connection to any centers in 2015 yet.

Reaction Score
There is Kathryn Westbeld who is 6'2". She like A'ja Wilson and Turner are all listed as F. There are no centers.

Nan's list link

Nor are we listed in connection to any centers in 2015 yet.
As I thought. Who plays center after Stokes graduates? Stewart is more of a forward.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
As I thought. Who plays center after Stokes graduates? Stewart is more of a forward.
Roster when Stokes graduates.

Sr - Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson
Jr - Chong
So - Ekmark, Edwards

That is six players. With 3-4 left in 2014 and all of a 2015 class to go, why are we worried about post players now?

Reaction Score
Of course a balanced game will be best for her career. And I don't doubt that she is 'sharp enough' to understand this. I'm sure she's smart. But as we have seen many times, sometimes high school kids make thoughtful decisions and sometimes they appear not to........ They are, after all, kids.

The question that won't be answered until she verbals and signs her NLI is: What does she want today? And what does she want to hear from the coach whose program she chooses? We have no idea - other than a number of quotes which have been quite consistent on the matter. In addition, although I respect Dawn as a winner, a good coach and a Team USA legend, I don't think we know what she or other coaches might say during the recruiting process when they're dealing with a #1 prospect. (You're more confident than I.) We've heard enough of Geno's comments on UCONN's process over the years to know that he won't even make any kind of promises on playing time, much less specific roles and positions on the court, no matter how highly ranked the player is.
When you are 6'5" you will have to do a little of both no matter what your coach promises. Everybody has to rebound in college. At Uconn Geno does take his post outside to open up driving lanes. Stef comes out much of the time, but still post up smaller players on the block. Even Tina came out high. Geno really puts a premium on posts with passing skills. She will never be a pg, but she maybe able to move around the court like Morgan and Breanna are doing now. If SC doesn't have other height she would be told to take one for the team no matter what was promised. If she truly doesn't like to bang then that may explain Geno going after the girl from IN.

Reaction Score
Lets not forget the TSA group of Tamika, Swin, and Ashja all at 6'2" .... with no center. That group worked well. I am sure that if A'ja Wilson is that good a player and she is at 6'5" she can play where she will make the shots. Remember Barbara Turner who was 6' on a good day... she loved camping out under the basket and being a post player. Also if we can land players like Calhoun and Westbeld we will be in good shape.

Reaction Score
I loved Barb Turner. I will never forget her in the Georgia game in Bridgeport. She was a beast. Andy Landers nearly had a stroke at the end of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom