A'ja Wilson On Defense | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson On Defense

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Watching several South Carolina games from both last year and this year, I've gained the distinct impression that A'ja Wilson is not as skillful as one would expect at perimeter defensive assignments.

She seems like a marvelous athlete who (unlike her colleague) is built more like a wide receiver than a nose tackle, but she consistently seems a step slow when she is defending someone on the perimeter. When her opponent starts a drive to the basket, she doesn't keep the opposing ballhandler in front of her, trails her to the basket, and often fouls her on the shot. Or if the opponent moves anywhere without the ball, A'ja can be several steps behind so that she can easily be picked.

I wouldn't be surprised if even Natalie could get past her without the ball and get a free layup following one of Kia's, Crystal's, or Gabby's marvelous assists.

And, of course, everything that I've said above about A'ja applies in bold italics to Ms. Coates.

Is there any chance that Dawn will decide to play a zone defense to keep UConn's penetration in check? If she does, will that force UConn to make jump shots to score?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Wilson can play good defense in certain situations. Most of her fouls though come from trying to block shots on the defensive end and offensive fouls trying to drive to the basket. Coates can also play good defense its just a manner of the match ups that work best for them defensively. Neither team will have 100% the upper hand defensively but because of UConn's versatility SCar could play some zone. I am doubtful Dawn will start the game that way and I would think she probably plays man unless she thinks things are getting out of hand or if either big gets in foul trouble. She takes a lot of pride in their defense.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think Dawn will live and die with man 2 man. Geno, as typical, will occasionally mix in various zones depending on circumstance. Geno, if necessary as well, may mix in offside help in the post. In other words, push Coates/Wilson off the block and once they put the ball on the floor roll over help. If a zone more 2/3 instead of triangle and 2.

Reaction Score
Watching several South Carolina games from both last year and this year, I've gained the distinct impression that A'ja Wilson is not as skillful as one would expect at perimeter defensive assignments.

She seems like a marvelous athlete who (unlike her colleague) is built more like a wide receiver than a nose tackle, but she consistently seems a step slow when she is defending someone on the perimeter. When her opponent starts a drive to the basket, she doesn't keep the opposing ballhandler in front of her, trails her to the basket, and often fouls her on the shot. Or if the opponent moves anywhere without the ball, A'ja can be several steps behind so that she can easily be picked.

I wouldn't be surprised if even Natalie could get past her without the ball and get a free layup following one of Kia's, Crystal's, or Gabby's marvelous assists.

And, of course, everything that I've said above about A'ja applies in bold italics to Ms. Coates.

Is there any chance that Dawn will decide to play a zone defense to keep UConn's penetration in check? If she does, will that force UConn to make jump shots to score?

I think they may eventually try zone for short stints, but when you hear almost every coach in the land say you can not play zone against UConn its for a reason. Their ball movement, cutting and shooting is second to none. The problem also is that even if Lou is off, as she has been he past two games, she is still effective in scoring other ways while Sonia, Kia and Crystal Dangerfield can still knock it down from deep. I think Lou will be back tomorrow and ready to roll for Monday, she's human but to good to stay in a rut for long.

Reaction Score
This is a pick your poison kind of game for Dawn. If you play man, Phee and Gabby are going to get some easy buckets in the paint. Their quickness will help neutralize the size differential. UCONN has worn out a lot of bigs with their constant motion and demanding pace.
If she plays zone, we will get a ton of open looks for three and if we are on, game over. However, with a mediocre shooting night it becomes a game.
My guess is that she plays some zone to keep Coates and Wilson from getting too tired to be effective in the 4Q. If UCONN starts to pull away with good shooting she goes back to man.

Reaction Score
I hope they play zone.

I hope they play man.

I hope they play garbage defenses (box+1, triangle+2).

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Don't forget the "soft spot" in a zone defense - the foul line area. If SC goes to a zone, it is a perfect fit for Lou. Her jumper from 15 foot is deadly. Kia, Pheesa and Gabby can also hit that 15 foot jumper. If SC doesn't know this then they have a major problem come Monday if they go zone.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

She seems like a marvelous athlete who (unlike her colleague) is built more like a wide receiver than a nose tackle,

I wouldn't be surprised if even Natalie could get past her without the ball
Huh? I have been on record as saying A'ja is a bit over-rated and should not be considered for POY. She is an All-American though and your comment that Nat pale could get past her is absurd. I like Nat and think her game is ever improving and helps tremendously off the bench but please use logic and perspective here. Nat is not going to get by either A'ja nor Coates for rebounds, they do a great job on the box out. Gabby and Pheesa, well that's another story as they are lithe and have the quickness to garner rebounds.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Huh? I have been on record as saying A'ja is a bit over-rated and should not be considered for POY. She is an All-American though and your comment that Nat pale could get past her is absurd. I like Nat and think her game is ever improving and helps tremendously off the bench but please use logic and perspective here. Nat is not going to get by either A'ja nor Coates for rebounds, they do a great job on the box out. Gabby and Pheesa, well that's another story as they are lithe and have the quickness to garner rebounds.
I wasn't talking about Nat getting past them for rebounds. If you read my original post, I think it was clear that I was talking about Natalie getting past either one of them on cuts to the basket on offense. Neither one of them reacts well away from the basket when the player whom they are guarding makes a quick cut.

Reaction Score
Also, Natalie can also hit the foul line jump shot....

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Also, Natalie can also hit the foul line jump shot...

I don't post here often but try and watch most UCONN WBB games. Every time she gets minutes I comment to myself how Natalie doesn't miss that shot! It seems like she its 1-2 every game. And it's not really a "jump" shot. :)

Reaction Score
Also, Natalie can also hit the foul line jump shot...
I was just about to post that. Butler's biggest weapon is that foul line jumper where she seems quite comfortable.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Dawn did play some zone against Louisville and especially a box and one call that turned a Louisville lead into a blowout by USC.

Reaction Score
What if South Carolina can't get to Connecticut because of the snow storm? They closed the airport for a little while during the blizzard on Thursday.

Reaction Score
What if South Carolina can't get to Connecticut because of the snow storm? They closed the airport for a little while during the blizzard on Thursday.
Forfeit, and on to the next victim.

Reaction Score
Don't forget the "soft spot" in a zone defense - the foul line area. If SC goes to a zone, it is a perfect fit for Lou. Her jumper from 15 foot is deadly. Kia, Pheesa and Gabby can also hit that 15 foot jumper. If SC doesn't know this then they have a major problem come Monday if they go zone.
Isn't it interesting that the SWEET spot in a Zone just happens to be where Natalie is most dangerous???? If she does not rush things Natalie is abt 80 percent from that sweet spot. So if, God forbid, Natalie is mandated to cover for a teammate with fouls--she can be an asset should the zone then be presented against Uconn.

Reaction Score
Dawn did play some zone against Louisville and especially a box and one call that turned a Louisville lead into a blowout by USC.

Triangle and 2, Box and 1, Diamond and 1, 2.5 to 2.5 (think about it)---. Geno tends to play man to man even in a zone.
From some reasons the first 3 are called junk Defense--bull pucky. Any defense that works is good. Even "junk" defense
require the right personnel to make them work--with a box and 1 against KLS you need a quick over 6 ft athletic player.
Triangle and 2 (KLS and Napheseea) so you leave Gabby, Kia, and Saniya more open---man to man is the only REAL option for
those defending UC. SMU tried hard to face and tight to guard KLS--and a sick KLS got 22 in less than 30 minutes
Youse pays your money and takes your chances!! I'm sure USC will tell me how Uconn can't guard them---a Fan is a Fan
and worth of the title if they defend their team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom