A'ja Wilson Off U23 Team with Injury | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson Off U23 Team with Injury

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
She has a groin strain. Was replaced by Linnae Harper Ohio St.

Six-time USA Basketball medalist Linnae Harper (Ohio State/Chicago, Ill.) will join the 2017 USA Basketball Women’s U23 National Team. A’ja Wilson (South Carolina/Hopkins, S.C.), who was named to the team on Aug. 4, will not be able to play due to a groin strain.

“I’m just very grateful for the opportunity,” Harper said. “This past week (at the U23 national team training camp) was great for me, being able to play with the best players and coaches in the country. I’m very excited that I have the chance to compete and represent the USA again and play in Tokyo.”

Harper will join teammates Ariel Atkins (Texas/Duncanville, Texas); Monique Billings (UCLA/Corona, Calif.); Kalani Brown (Baylor/Slidell, La.); Jordin Canada (UCLA/Los Angeles, Calif.); Asia Durr (Louisville/ Douglasville, Ga.); Sabrina Ionescu (Oregon/Walnut Creek, Calif.); Brittany McPhee (Stanford/Normandy Park, Wash.); Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State/Cincinnati, Ohio); Jamie Nared (Tennessee/Portland, Ore.); Arike Ogunbowale (Notre Dame/Milwaukee, Wis.); and Mercedes Russell (Tennessee/Springfield, Ore.).

“We wish A’ja the best and a speedy recovery,” said Jeff Walz, USA U23 and University of Louisville head coach. “We are excited to welcome Linnae, and I’ve got no doubt that she will pick things up quickly.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She has a groin strain. Was replaced by Linnae Harper Ohio St.

Six-time USA Basketball medalist Linnae Harper (Ohio State/Chicago, Ill.) will join the 2017 USA Basketball Women’s U23 National Team. A’ja Wilson (South Carolina/Hopkins, S.C.), who was named to the team on Aug. 4, will not be able to play due to a groin strain.

“I’m just very grateful for the opportunity,” Harper said. “This past week (at the U23 national team training camp) was great for me, being able to play with the best players and coaches in the country. I’m very excited that I have the chance to compete and represent the USA again and play in Tokyo.”

Harper will join teammates Ariel Atkins (Texas/Duncanville, Texas); Monique Billings (UCLA/Corona, Calif.); Kalani Brown (Baylor/Slidell, La.); Jordin Canada (UCLA/Los Angeles, Calif.); Asia Durr (Louisville/ Douglasville, Ga.); Sabrina Ionescu (Oregon/Walnut Creek, Calif.); Brittany McPhee (Stanford/Normandy Park, Wash.); Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State/Cincinnati, Ohio); Jamie Nared (Tennessee/Portland, Ore.); Arike Ogunbowale (Notre Dame/Milwaukee, Wis.); and Mercedes Russell (Tennessee/Springfield, Ore.).

“We wish A’ja the best and a speedy recovery,” said Jeff Walz, USA U23 and University of Louisville head coach. “We are excited to welcome Linnae, and I’ve got no doubt that she will pick things up quickly.”

Thanks for the update.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Hmmmm.

I'm in no way doubting Harper as she is a proven athlete in the USA system but you switch a 6'5 F/C for a 5-8 G/W??? Makes me wonder how Kristine Anigwe looked at the trials. She would have been my first thought. It is a team game and Harper knows the international game.

Good luck to all.

Speedy recovery to Aja Wilson.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Hmmmm.

I'm in no way doubting Harper as she is a proven athlete in the USA system but you switch a 6'5 F/C for a 5-8 G/W??? Makes me wonder how Kristine Anigwe looked at the trials. She would have been my first thought. It is a team game and Harper knows the international game.

Good luck to all.

Speedy recovery to Aja Wilson.
I was thinking the same thing.....I hope we have enough quality Bigs on the squad in case of foul trouble or further injury during play.

Reaction Score
2nd injury to Wilson in recent months. 2 very different injuries, so no "weak link muscles". Still...because of body type and/or playing style, is she injury prone (like Brianna Turner)?

Reaction Score
Team USA still has Billings, Brown and Russell. It's worrisome to hear that she has sustained 2 injuries in recent time.
As KLS said "don't get an injury in August". She has plenty of time to be ready for the regular season. Rest, rehab and get healthy.

Given that... Nared/Billings probably will get more time. I like both of them, they should do well in the tourney.

Reaction Score
2nd injury to Wilson in recent months. 2 very different injuries, so no "weak link muscles". Still...because of body type and/or playing style, is she injury prone (like Brianna Turner)?

What was the first injury? I didn't know she was injured a couple months ago. The last injury that was known was the ankle sprain she had during the season.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Most of Wilson's injuries have been sprains..

..of course those are serious, but not as serious or career altering as others. BUT, she is a very physical player and her style lends to injuries like sprains. Wilson has been getting around fine even with the groin sprain and it's possible the injury followed her to camp.. to me, it seems like our coaching staff is protecting their star player. There's no need for Wilson to aggravate this into a nagging injury by playing in a tournament that doesn't really matter in turn hindering her in her final collegiate season..

The beauty of USA Basketball is that it's never about one player.. this team will do fine even without Wilson..

Reaction Score
2 each from Tenn, UCLA, & Ohio St
Plus 1 from:
-ND and Lou
-Tex and Bay
-Ore and Stan

4 players from PAC, 2 from other four major conf

Reaction Score
Harper is very good. Kentucky misses her big time

Reaction Score
Harper is very good. Kentucky misses her big time

Harper is a blue collar player, not great but steady and reliable. She can play defense, give you a few rebounds and a steal but her size and lack of offense are detrimental. Kentucky didn't miss her individually, they missed several players that jumped ship and left them short-handed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The beauty of USA Basketball is that it's never about one player.. this team will do fine even without Wilson..
A few days ago I got jumped on for saying this team s going to be hurt by not having the UCONN players available. So let me try and flip that. A'Ja was going to need to some help in this tournament anyway, now with Lexie Brown and A'Ja being out several people are going to have to step up. Japan is hosting playing at home & Australia will field a good team that will likely included Chantel Horvat -UCLA signee & 2016 U17 MVP Ezi Magbegor. Up front the US is going to have to rely on Brown, Billings & Russell & none of these players have the ability to step away from the basket even a few feet and still be effective. At the guard/ wing position US has too many similar type player that all need their shots to be effective ( Durr, Ogunbowale, Mitchell, & McPhee) The addition of harper to the team makes some sense because she is the only "adequate" perimeter defender. Put me in the skeptical category for now.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
A few days ago I got jumped on for saying this team s going to be hurt by not having the UCONN players available. So let me try and flip that. A'Ja was going to need to some help in this tournament anyway, now with Lexie Brown and A'Ja being out several people are going to have to step up. Japan is hosting playing at home & Australia will field a good team that will likely included Chantel Horvat -UCLA signee & 2016 U17 MVP Ezi Magbegor. Up front the US is going to have to rely on Brown, Billings & Russell & none of these players have the ability to step away from the basket even a few feet and still be effective. At the guard/ wing position US has too many similar type player that all need their shots to be effective ( Durr, Ogunbowale, Mitchell, & McPhee) The addition of harper to the team makes some sense because she is the only "adequate" perimeter defender. Put me in the skeptical category for now.

That's a fair point.. Wilson was definitely this team's high post/"stretch" forward player. Even though shes reluctant to pull the trigger from 3.. She was the only big that could be effective away from the basket. With Wilson now gone, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Nared assume that role.. she is undersized but it could be an interesting look.

To your point though, This team would've been unstoppable with Wilson, Stevens and Collier.. big(ger) players that you can move away from the basket.. but now without Wilson being there the lack of a Stevens or Collier is even more pronounced.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom