A'Ja Wilson at the Myrtle Beach Tournament | The Boneyard

A'Ja Wilson at the Myrtle Beach Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sign her now! The #10 ranked junior, known to her friends as "A," (name pronounced Asjha, as in Jones) is just about the complete package. Despite having an obvious cold/flu problem, she put up 29 points, 19 rebounds, 5 ass't, and 5 blocks against a difficult team in a close game. She has good form on a high arcing short jumper and will hammer the ball off the boards from in close. She is a true left-handed 4 that will power the ball inside and get to the line. She defends well, blocks shots from the weak side and rebounds. Her one weakness is lack of arm strength, but remember she is a junior. She can put the ball on the floor against frontcourt players, but was stripped when she tried to bring the ball through pressing guards. She is 6-3,4,or 5, depending on whose stats you read. Her hair is in a long DT bun, so it isn't easy to tell. She passes out of the double-team well and will spot open teammates.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Could she play center? We need to replace Stef or find a backup for Kiah with a 2014 player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno really likes her and so do I. Some have her ranked much higher than 10.

Reaction Score
I guess the million dollar question is, does UCONN have any chance of signing her? I havent read about any interest on her part in UCONN. She is a great recruit to get, but I'm not getting to excited right now about her potentially coming to UCONN.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Think our conference situation might hurt recruiting?
I'd guess, but only a guess, that of the UConn major sports, Women's hoops will be the least affected. It's the one sport that seems not to have any overall dependence on strength of conference and UConn isn't just any program. We'll find out.

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't think our conference situation will have much effect on our recruiting. At least I hope not. They come to play for UConn and Geno.

A'ja would be a good 'get' for UConn....But like Connboy , I haven't heard where she has said she has any interest in UConn.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We have read that Geno [or one of the staff] went to see her play. I doubt they would be doing that unless there was some interest on her part.
Get her here on a visit....and then take our chances.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The reason you haven't read any "interest" in UCONN is because she hasn't come out and listed ANY colleges as far as I can tell. I believe she's visited UNC. But I also believe Geno and the staff have been out to see her at least 2-3 times, and maybe more.

UNC fans feel they have the inside track since she's from the south and idolizes Diamond Deshields. We will see if that makes a difference or not.

Reaction Score
The reason you haven't read any "interest" in UCONN is because she hasn't come out and listed ANY colleges as far as I can tell. I believe she's visited UNC. But I also believe Geno and the staff have been out to see her at least 2-3 times, and maybe more.

UNC fans feel they have the inside track since she's from the south and idolizes Diamond Deshields. We will see if that makes a difference or not.

So after our great haul last year it was exepcted we would not follow it up with a similar level class because players would not want to play behind Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson. UNC has 4 recruits rated very high that got all this hype and now they could follow it up with Wilson? The thing is UNC got every position except center and Wilson would be tallest at 6'5 but she claims to be a perimeter player. She may idolize Deshields but what a bad way of decision making because she is going to be stuck out of position. if you have guards under 6'0 and forwards under 6'2 where do you think a 6'5 will play? In the paint, that is where. At least we have Stokes and Tuck to man the paint and we have proven tall players with skills can play outside see Stewart this year. UNC has proven they can underachieve with great recruits i.e. their current senior class that was very highly rated.

Reaction Score
So after our great haul last year it was exepcted we would not follow it up with a similar level class because players would not want to play behind Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson. UNC has 4 recruits rated very high that got all this hype and now they could follow it up with Wilson? The thing is UNC got every position except center and Wilson would be tallest at 6'5 but she claims to be a perimeter player. She may idolize Deshields but what a bad way of decision making because she is going to be stuck out of position. if you have guards under 6'0 and forwards under 6'2 where do you think a 6'5 will play? In the paint, that is where. At least we have Stokes and Tuck to man the paint and we have proven tall players with skills can play outside see Stewart this year. UNC has proven they can underachieve with great recruits i.e. their current senior class that was very highly rated.

Reaction Score
It is interesting that you brought up Diamond, who dominated last year's Myrtle Beach Tournament. There is a college component to this event and NC always plays. This means that Sylvia Hatchell and her staff camp out here for the whole week, as opposed to our sending people for a game or two. Tierra Ruffin-Pratt, apparently back from two years of shoulder problems, fulfilled the promise she showed as a former all-star in this tournament. She led the lady tarheels to victory in a close game by bulling relentlessly to the hoop, and hitting the outside shot when defenders backed off. Back to the high school tourney, A'ja didn't spend any time on the perimeter. Neither did she set up far enough inside to get bottled up. She is as close to the perfect "4" as I've seen.

Reaction Score
Wilson is in fact being recruited by us. She appears to be at least 6'4" and is athletic. In High School she is capable of playing any of the 5 positions! She is a lefty who can bring the ball up the court,pass,post you up,score,rebound. She is ranked #4 by Blue Star,#1 by ASGR. I hope if we do not get her she chooses to play for S Carolina,Georgia or G Tech. Not N Carolina or Duke who really appear loaded in 2013, 2014,2015! Despite that we are going to be #1 IMHO during the Stewie Reign;) Getting 3 to 4 Special Kids to join Ek in the 2014 class, will secure what will go down in history as the culmination of the GENO/UCONN ERA!!!
Ira

Reaction Score
A'ja's team finished 6th in a tough field. She showed court presence in the last game that they won. Up two with a minute to go, A'ja's man was shadowing her coming upcourt. She signaled for the ball, but did not look for it right away and caught her defender napping. Next, in a rebounding melee under the defensive hoop, the ball came to her and she instantly fired a long pass to a streaking guard for the lay-up. Up 6, which was the final margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom