Airstream or similar RV/travel trailer | The Boneyard

Airstream or similar RV/travel trailer

Reaction Score
Hi, wife and I are talking about getting an Airstream or something similar for long trips around the country. We want something to pull with a truck. Any advice? Would like to spend less than 50 grand. Not sure what we should make sure it has, would be nice to have solar panels I guess, bathroom and shower and bed, maybe they all have this, and stove/fridge/TV.
We used to go camping with tent and that was more work than we'd like to do now that we are older (late 50s/early 60s). I remember RV parks as not being very attactive- would prefer looking at nature instead of being sandwiched between other RVs. Maybe I have inaccurate image of them- are some parks better than others, are there tips for staying in nicer ones? Can you stay elsewhere if want or must you be hooked up to electric and sewer which RV parks provide?

Are there good websites to get info for going around in an Airstream of similar? My wife has had this thing to Airstreams apparently but there aren't too many for sale that I can find and some are pretty expensive. Thanks!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
seems like u've made the threshold decision- drive it or tow it.
there are pros and cons for each, but u have to start somewhere.
many, many rv parks and campgrounds are really quite nice, and can often get u a lot closer to the 'big deal' natural attraction than resorts or hotels.
the add on renewables market is rapidly expanding to provide many reasonably priced choices for juicing up ur travel hut.
with no tsa, 'passports,' and such, well pretty soon u'll be singing
'On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again
And I can't wait to get on the road again...'

how i love being a free man.

Reaction Score
Don't own an RV, but rented one last summer as wife didn't want to stay in hotels/use public restrooms for a trip we had to take.

Some things I discovered:

Harvest Hosts is a community that lets you stay in non RV parks on private property...we stayed the night on a winery in Virginia...very cool...but you need to have self contained water/sewer as these aren't camp sites with hookups.
There are sites you can rent RVs from owners...like an airbnb...try before you buy?
It was fun for 10 days but we learned it was not something we want to do on a regular basis
Big difference between a 5th wheel and one you tow with a hitch
We found KOA sites to be very clean and well run....but some of them really pack you in.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
RV maintenance is no joke. Rent one for a trip or two hefore buying.

Also if you do buy one, take it on a driveway or other short trip to shakedown your routine.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I've been eyeing one of these for a few years now:

We've had their smaller, retractable roof model for about 5 years now. Really high build quality (no plywood or particle board and higher component quality than most), and very light weight (sub-2,000 lbs). People tow our model with Subarus and Hondas. It's actually appreciated in value since we bought it new. We love it, particularly all of the glass with the roof raised. But if you are looking for more space they now make bigger models.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 136
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 134
Reaction Score
Don't know jack $#)& about RVs, but similar to under utilized Pelotons fully expect a sh|t load of under utilized 2020-2022 RVs will sell at massive discounts as we eventually succeed in living with or moving beyond SARS-2 variants.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Hi, wife and I are talking about getting an Airstream or something similar for long trips around the country. We want something to pull with a truck. Any advice? Would like to spend less than 50 grand. Not sure what we should make sure it has, would be nice to have solar panels I guess, bathroom and shower and bed, maybe they all have this, and stove/fridge/TV.
We used to go camping with tent and that was more work than we'd like to do now that we are older (late 50s/early 60s). I remember RV parks as not being very attactive- would prefer looking at nature instead of being sandwiched between other RVs. Maybe I have inaccurate image of them- are some parks better than others, are there tips for staying in nicer ones? Can you stay elsewhere if want or must you be hooked up to electric and sewer which RV parks provide?

Are there good websites to get info for going around in an Airstream of similar? My wife has had this thing to Airstreams apparently but there aren't too many for sale that I can find and some are pretty expensive. Thanks!
RV parks tend to be a really mixed bag. Some are OK, others pretty awful. We do the vast majority of our camping in national forest service campgrounds. We're in the rocky mountains, so they are everywhere. The ones we prefer are more secluded, and offer more space, but typically don't have electricity or sewer. But even with our little trailer we can be pretty self sufficient. We have 200 watts of factory installed solar plus a protable suitcase panel. So even off the grid the only thing we can't power is AC.

Last few years we've been taking advantage of the ability to reserve campsites via recreation.gov. In fact in the next few days I'll be setting up a few really hard to snag sites for camping in June-Sept.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Don't know jack $#)& about RVs, but similar to under utilized Pelotons fully expect a sh|t load of under utilized 2020-2022 RVs will sell at massive discounts as we eventually succeed in living with or moving beyond SARS-2 variants.
missed it by that much.
'Millennials have pushed this industry to record highs in recent years. 38% of the 40 million people who own a recreational vehicle are Millennials.'

stop watching golden girls. it's 2022.
Latest RV Industry Statistics, Trends & Data (2021) - Infographics & Charts

Reaction Score

I seem to remember a somewhat lengthy thread on Trailors/RV's but can't find it using search. My recollection is that the consensus was to buy used since they depreciate markedly once you turn a wheel. That may have changed given COVID and all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My wife has gotten it into her head that RVing would be a fun thing to do. I would just rather go to hotels. I’ve done a lot of camping and backpacking in my life, and I enjoy it. I’ve gone to a lot of hotels, and, on the high end at least, I enjoy that too. RVing seems like a middle ground that gives too little of the benefits of tent camping without the benefits of being in a decent hotel. But that’s just me.

I wholeheartedly agree that before you make a significant investment in one of these things, I would consider renting one and see if you like it. I’m thinking about doing that myself, so that the wife can see the reality of it and see if she actually likes it. If she does, shrug, I can do it.

In any event, I think the sweet spot on these things is probably a class C motorhome. There’s enough space that it will not feel confining, but it’s not as huge as a class a motorhome which I would imagine feels like driving a semi.

At your price range you’re right in the sweet spot for picking up a used one. Here’s a random link to one below:

Class C motor home

To me, the big benefit of a class C is a “dry toilet.“ Apparently there is a space saving design that makes your shower and toilet in the same space. I’m sure it’s workable, but that just grosses me out.

One final thought, think about how often you’re going to use this thing. If it’s only a few times a year, does renting make more sense rather than having to store one of these things year-round?

Reaction Score
'Millennials have pushed this industry to record highs in recent years. 38% of the 40 million people who own a recreational vehicle are Millennials.
Latest RV Industry Statistics, Trends & Data (2021) - Infographics & Charts
None of which changes facts reflecting massive increases in RVs in recent years including the pandemic, nor strong potential for demand to crash as people of ALL age ranges ideally return to more typical lifestyles as SARS-2 hopefully wanes eventually

Reaction Score
RVing isn't like the ads which show rigs parked in wilderness settings and families happily roasting marshmallows by babbling brooks. Unless you pay big bucks to buy a membership in a private, time-share campground network, you'll often be parked cheek-to-jowl in a private park which maximizes profits by accommodating as many patrons as possible, or at a public park with no hookups where the guy next to you feels compelled to run his generator at all hours after the rangers have retired for the evening. Reservations required, often a year in advance. Or stay at a Walmart parking lot (free and convenient, but a bit lacking in esthetics). Trip prep, after-trip maintenance, winterization, off-season storage, frequent visits to laundromats, and just maneuvering in traffic can be a bother, too. But if you're going to do it, and quality is important to you, then Airstream is the way to go. Solid construction, better interior appointments, and a higher resale value when you decide you've had enough of the vagabond life. Think of it as a nice but tiny motel room, one permeated by cooking odors and a bathroom best suited to a contortionist.

At some federal parks and reserves, you might get a free camping spot (w/ hookups) for a season if you agree to serve as a campground host.

Or, as someone has already suggested, just stay in a motel and avoid the hassle and additional expense (fuel, licenses, maintenance, nightly campground fees, etc.). You have a budget of up to $50,000? How many nights could you stay in a first-rate hotel/motel for that?

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

My wife and I bought an Escape 19, 3 years ago.

Smallish, at 19 feet, but it is a fiberglass shell, one piece on top, one on the bottom, belly band in the middle. No leaks....ever!

Dual axel, which was a must for us.

Comes with everything, or with everything as an option. Heat, hot water, solar available. Small galley style kitchen. Large-ish fridge/freezer. Works on 110v, 12v and propane. The entire head is a sit down shower. Queen size bed.

We spent several days at a time "off the grid".

Lead times are pretty long these days, I hear. Company is in British Colombia. We loaded up the truck with everything we thought we would need, plus the dog, and drove out there to pick it up. Then drove back across the country, seeing lots and lots of the country along the way.

Definitely recommend!

BTW, they have a 21 foot model available, now, with several layouts. Wish they had that when we bought.

One more thing.... Recommend Harvest Host, web site. Costs around $80/year.

Folks who make their places available to stay, for free. Mostly winery's, breweries etc, with some farms, museums and other odball places along the way. You are encouraged to spend some dough on whatever they are peddling.

You see the country in an up close and personal way not otherwise available.

Went to a distillery in Idaho, only distillery in Idaho that makes vodka from potatoes, if you can even believe that. Stayed at a great car museum in Nebraska.

At one winery they even had us park out in the Vinyard, among the grape vines. One farm in Idaho told us to wander through their greenhouses, pick whatever looked good and pay whatever we thought it was worth! Farm to table in 15 minutes.

Highly recommend!

Reaction Score
We have tons of RV’ers out here but most of the experienced ones
use the RV to winter or Summer ( for Arizonans) in one place.
My old neighbors would go to California most likely a beach location every summer. Some just go local to Show Low or another higher elevations spot, but few if any that I know are very nomadic Driving all over seems to get old after awhile.
We have friends who lived in Pa that spent each winter in either Fla or Az. So it allows you to vary winter locations. They towed a car and used that to explore the state , parking the RV as a base.
I had another neighbor who decided not to winter in AZ but camped in Key West on the beach instead. Current neighbors who we’re teachers on an Army Base in Germany and so are retired government employees are able to park at Camp Pendleton north of SanDiego right on the beach very inexpensively . I think it’s around $9 a night. RV camps on the water are $50 and higher.
He told me there are 4-5 Campgrounds on the base .
Which is huge it goes from Oceanside to San Clemente which maps says is 22 miles of Pacific Waterfront.
I could barely drive a car so driving something 40 ft long ,towing a car,
has zero appeal. Although spending a summer on a beach does sound pretty good.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hey, this is good clip. as usual, never heard of the movie, don't know anythings aboot it, but now it seems like something to watch cuz it may be funny. it mentions mm and the funky bunch, so bring it home marky, and sing aboot the feelings most have when they fire up the coleman for a new adventure,

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
None of which changes facts reflecting massive increases in RVs in recent years including the pandemic, nor strong potential for demand to crash as people of ALL age ranges ideally return to more typical lifestyles as SARS-2 hopefully wanes eventually
the covid is the single greatest impact to the world since ww2.
there will be a quiz.
forget yesterday and what was. that's over. one obvious change is many folks now thinking 'don't stand so close to me' as their life motto.
iffn the rv industry uses that one for a slogan, they gonna owe me some cash.

Reaction Score
hey, this is good clip. as usual, never heard of the movie, don't know anythings aboot it, but now it seems like something to watch cuz it may be funny. it mentions mm and the funky bunch, so bring it home marky, and sing aboot the feelings most have when they fire up the coleman for a new adventure,

We are the Millers is a crazy funny movie imo. Make shift family on a RV trip, that's all I'm going to say since you have not seen it. If you have little ones in ear distance be warned, constant f bombs through out.

Reaction Score
We are the Millers is a crazy funny movie imo. Make shift family on a RV trip, that's all I'm going to say since you have not seen it. If you have little ones in ear distance be warned, constant f bombs through out.
I think it's a classic. Even if it is acting, Kenny is one lucky dork, practicing and all. Sweet Emotion!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom