Airbnb | The Boneyard

Airbnb

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Any good or poor experiences to share? There’s some amazing deals under $250 a night out there. Although, I don’t see many with pools, & that’s a negative for a family trip. What are your experiences with the process. Any sweet deals to recommend.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I use air bnb almost every time I travel and have had all great experienced

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Depends on where you are going, but AirBnB is largely the way.

Reaction Score
Never stayed at family places with amenities and all that, like you seem to be. I stay at 50$ a night, just somewhere to sleep type places. But ive never had a negative experience, even in other countries.

I say go for it. Its a great way to see more of the real community wherever youre headed to

Reaction Score
My grandson used AirBnB extensively when he studied in Europe a few years ago. That’s the first time I heard of it. That and a Eurorail pass and it was cheap way of touring some great cities.
My daughter and her family also had great results traveling through Italy last summer and again this year.
They felt the prices were great but I’m not sure about domestic travel.

Reaction Score
There’s probably like a 5% chance something will go wrong. Somewhere between you are up all night because of some mishap or you are waiting 3 hours to check in and your towel smells like a butt. If you’re careful and stick to “super hosts” that drops substantially. It works out great when it does work. I have used it regularly in SF for business when hotels were 5-6x the cost. Rented big houses for gatherings with friends in the summers.

Read the listings really closely. Think about things like AC, how you get in an out, how many reviews are auto postings where guests were cancelled on last minute.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Any good or poor experiences to share? There’s some amazing deals under $250 a night out there. Although, I don’t see many with pools, & that’s a negative for a family trip. What are your experiences with the process. Any sweet deals to recommend.

My wife and I used it in Paris 2 years ago and we got an awesome 2 BD/2 BA (I love having a personal crapper) for a fraction of what the type of hotel room we would've gotten would've cost us. No problems.

Just used VRBO a couple weeks ago. (House with a pool!) Also no problems.

Read the reviews is my only advice.

Reaction Score
My grandson used AirBnB extensively when he studied in Europe a few years ago. That’s the first time I heard of it. That and a Eurorail pass and it was cheap way of touring some great cities.
My daughter and her family also had great results traveling through Italy last summer and again this year.
They felt the prices were great but I’m not sure about domestic travel.

For future reference: eurrail is a nice convenience, but it doesnt really save you money unless you plan way ahead.

Reaction Score
AirBnB is definitely the way to go whether you want a whole condo/house/apt. or just a private room to crash. Use the search filter for what need or prefer. You should be able to get more space and amenities for a less money per night. For more than one family use VRBO.

Read the reviews, research the area as best as you can, and stick to the 5* hosts. When you're done, write a review. While you're there, know that they'll likely write a review on you as a guest as well.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
How does VRBO differ in program?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Echo what everyone has said about Air BnB. Read the reviews.

For a home for vacation, check out HomeAway. Me and a group of friends used that a couple summers to rent places out on Long Island and my family did the same with a house on the Jersey Shore.

In total, used these services probably close to a dozen times. Never an issue and frankly, most exceeded my expectations quite a bit.

Reaction Score
How does VRBO differ in program?

There's not a difference.

For whatever reason, people tend to use Airbnb for city stays and VRBO for cabin rentals etc.

But, I've never had a bad experience with either; I can't stress enough how much it beats staying in a hotel

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think its turning into a crap show.

You have to be diligent.

Watch out for hidden fees like "cleaning fees" that hosts will automatically charge no matter how well the place is left. Like ridiculous fees.

Your experience can vary from best to worst.

I loved it at first, and Im certain you can still get some great deals, but as it grows (like anything) the scammers come out of the woodwork. My last few transactions have been less than stellar ranging from aforementioned cleaning fees, to not being able to use a yard as advertised, to getting a bad review for something I did not even do.

Im back on hotels.

Reaction Score
I think its turning into a crap show.

You have to be diligent.

Watch out for hidden fees like "cleaning fees" that hosts will automatically charge no matter how well the place is left. Like ridiculous fees.

Your experience can vary from best to worst.

I loved it at first, and Im certain you can still get some great deals, but as it grows (like anything) the scammers come out of the woodwork. My last few transactions have been less than stellar ranging from aforementioned cleaning fees, to not being able to use a yard as advertised, to getting a bad review for something I did not even do.

Im back on hotels.

I've never experienced anything like that; but, like some one else said, be sure to read through the reviews (don't just look at the number of stars)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Echoing all good advice offered above, with stays ranging from Ojo Caliente, NM yurt and an 80's camper van on an amazing estate property near Tanglewood to eight of us across 3 generations in a multi-level condo with swimming pool in a complex on Lake Winnipesaukee.

If weather defies predictions, we'll stay on short notice Saturday night live n Coventry for Dairy Barn & Mansfield Drive-in movie, and then next day flea market & Coventry Farmers Market before Hartford Jazz Festival. Great for bumping up day trips into mini-staycations.

Full family again on a farm with pool, home brewing, vineyard, and easy access to Portsmouth New Hampshire in 3 weeks. Lady Hans happily stayed in a tear drop camper in Amsterdam for 3 nights last month after a business trip to London.

LOTS of variety, though I can think of family, friends, and BY posters who might not like it all. Yes, read the reviews.

Reaction Score
My wife and I used it in Paris 2 years ago and we got an awesome 2 BD/2 BA (I love having a personal crapper) for a fraction of what the type of hotel room we would've gotten would've cost us. No problems.

Just used VRBO a couple weeks ago. (House with a pool!) Also no problems.

Read the reviews is my only advice.

I have used both as well. Used AirBnb to go to Paris also and had a GREAT place in a great location. But i read reviews like crazy to understand what i was getting before i pulled the trigger. I also use VRBO whenever i go to the OBX for a week. Same thing, read reviews and understand what you are getting. Never had a bad experience though with either.

Reaction Score
Good advice here. I would just stress to really read the listing and look at the pictures VERY carefully. We rented a 5br 4 bath in Barcelona last summer and it wasn’t really a 4 bath. Just 4 sep toilets. When I went back I realized there were limited bath pics. If they are advertising a 4 br but only show pics of 3 rooms there is prob an issue with the 4th room. Also when they say A/C be sure it’s in alll the rooms not Just the common rooms.

I would also read no just the recent reviews but older ones too

That was my worst experience and it was still ok. I’ve rented some beautiful places.

Think it is a great service

Reaction Score
For future reference: eurrail is a nice convenience, but it doesnt really save you money unless you plan way ahead.
The economy for the user is dependent on who paid for the Eurorail pass.
For a University student whose parents or grandparents bought the pass Air BnB and a gifted pass is a ticket to extensive exploration.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Echo what everyone has said about Air BnB. Read the reviews.

For a home for vacation, check out HomeAway. Me and a group of friends used that a couple summers to rent places out on Long Island and my family did the same with a house on the Jersey Shore.

In total, used these services probably close to a dozen times. Never an issue and frankly, most exceeded my expectations quite a bit.

FYI, HomeAway bought VRBO (or vice-versa); in any event, they have the same listings.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
FYI, HomeAway bought VRBO (or vice-versa); in any event, they have the same listings.

Didn't know that (truth be told I wasn't sure what VRBO was in this thread either). Thanks for the heads up.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Sorry. Meant stream not string.

Our lake is funny as you don’t own the land and have to pay almost $6000 a yesr lease on the land.
Couple that with taxes, utilities, insurance and expenses and we are over $10,000 just to own a cottage.
Airbnb has allowed us to get some of that money back and make our cottage nicer in the process.
Big market for our place as the lake has a draw because of its history with about 75% of our guests having some past experience with it.
We cater to families and older couples which discourages party animals.
In fact we are the party animals so it works quite well for our neighbors too.

We’ve earned Superhost status too which is reserved for those they do it honestly and care.

Funnily we haven’t used Airbnb for being guests ourselves yet so I’m glad to read what everyone here has said so far.

Let me know if anyone has any hosting questions.

Reaction Score
I'm currently in a airbnb for 6 weeks in between places waiting for my house to close. It is easy enough. The place is blah but I kinda new that when I booked it (the price was right long term).

I also used it in Rome and Venice last year for better places than hotels would be for those prices.

Reaction Score

The cleaning fees are clearly listed as part of the total price, as are service fees and city taxes. You see the total cost and decide yes or no.

I trust that someone cleans the place after a guest leaves (especially the linens, bathroom and numerous other things), no matter how well the place is left.

I've used AirBnB numerous times, in Europe and the US, and have had 2 poor experiences out of approximately 25 instances. The first was my fault for not requiring any reviews, the second was my wife's fault (she indirectly caused the lister to lose his lease and be evicted).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom