Air Uconn? | The Boneyard

Air Uconn?

Reaction Score
OK, I'm a FNG, and I have to admit a lot of ignorance about WCBB. I just happened to run across UConn during the NCAA tournament last March. It took nearly 3 minutes to become a serious fan, and I recently had the pleasure of attending the SMU game.

But in watching several videos and a few ESPN broadcasts, I'm delighted with the progress of the "no dribble" transition sequences -- all about passing, of course. And I'm old enough to remember the days of Dan Fouts at San Diego, and "Air Coryell".

Yup, yesterday some rusty gears clicked in my head. In honor of the passing game, I propose the idea of "Air UConn."

Your thoughts?

Reaction Score
I still remember The Epic in Miami. Unfortunately, I'm a Dolphins fan, but it was still the best game I've had the pleasure to watch!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Welcome. If it really took you 3 minutes to become a serious fan of UCONN WBB, I'm not sure I'm going to endorse your idea. Mean time to fandom of UCONN WBB is <30 seconds or one possession regardless if UCONN has the ball or not. :eek:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OK, I'm a FNG, and I have to admit a lot of ignorance about WCBB. I just happened to run across UConn during the NCAA tournament last March. It took nearly 3 minutes to become a serious fan, and I recently had the pleasure of attending the SMU game.

But in watching several videos and a few ESPN broadcasts, I'm delighted with the progress of the "no dribble" transition sequences -- all about passing, of course. And I'm old enough to remember the days of Dan Fouts at San Diego, and "Air Coryell".

Yup, yesterday some rusty gears clicked in my head. In honor of the passing game, I propose the idea of "Air UConn."

Your thoughts?
Seeing as the Charger's bagged San Diego and just split for greener pastures, I think maybe we should pass on any references to them and UCONN. :rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Welcome - and we already have Air Gabby with multiple flights scheduled on most UConn possessions, but sure ... why not Air UConn.

As you quickly discovered, UConn probably dribbles the ball less frequently than any other women's (or men's) team in college. (Wonder if anyone has ever record number of dribbles per game or per player - it would be a very interesting database.) When they are clicking, the ball seldom touches the floor.

The passing weave that UConn runs frequently to start a possession has a few purposes, but two of them are to kick start the passing mentality, and to get players moving - I think Geno frequently calls for it mid game when he thinks the offense is becoming a little static just for that reason.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I like the term. There's a game recently where one of the commentators made a point of mentioning this to the audience; she noted that the ball was dribbled as it came crossed the court but once across midcourt it was in the hands of several players and then in the basket without ever touching the floor again.

Reaction Score
Welcome - and we already have Air Gabby with multiple flights scheduled on most UConn possessions, but sure ... why not Air UConn.

As you quickly discovered, UConn probably dribbles the ball less frequently than any other women's (or men's) team in college. (Wonder if anyone has ever record number of dribbles per game or per player - it would be a very interesting database.) When they are clicking, the ball seldom touches the floor.

The passing weave that UConn runs frequently to start a possession has a few purposes, but two of them are to kick start the passing mentality, and to get players moving - I think Geno frequently calls for it mid game when he thinks the offense is becoming a little static just for that reason.
I have been thinking the same thing about the dribbling stats. I am sure UConn dribbles less than other team in college basketball.

Reaction Score
I still remember The Epic in Miami. Unfortunately, I'm a Dolphins fan, but it was still the best game I've had the pleasure to watch!

Speaking of the U and airplanes, wasn't there a movie called "Con Air"? (This is for those who remember when Miami was known as Convict U.) Funny how things eventually all come together . . . Oh, and didn't the Huskies just beat ECU by about 4,000 points? What? Me Worry?
upload_2017-1-24_15-57-37.png

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
You obviously missed the famous "Sea of Hands" Game....

Reaction Score

Your thoughts?
How old oldphart?
My grandfather played in the early 1900's for one of the best teams in the country. According to him dribbling was not allowed at that time. Two steps max and pass was the rule. I don't know when dribbling the ball became legal.
Welcome, we need more old timers.

Reaction Score

Watched USC and Mississippi and I noticed all the dribbling.

Reaction Score

Your thoughts?
Bringing back memories. Fouts said Coryell would have had him throwing coming out of the tunnel if he could. Exciting games.... like UCONN.

Reaction Score
I like the term. There's a game recently where one of the commentators made a point of mentioning this to the audience; she noted that the ball was dribbled as it came crossed the court but once across midcourt it was in the hands of several players and then in the basket without ever touching the floor again.

A few years back Geno was a bit miffed (spell it any way you want) at the team for having the ball stolen from dribblers.
And spoke of the efficiency of the pass --the quickness of movement--and, if done properly, the less chance of being stolen.
Geno is NOT a new comer to the passing game. l

Reaction Score
How old oldphart?
My grandfather played in the early 1900's for one of the best teams in the country. According to him dribbling was not allowed at that time. Two steps max and pass was the rule. I don't know when dribbling the ball became legal.
Welcome, we need more old timers.

Hmmph. Actually, I'm still pretty young -- 70. And having never played it, I'm NOT authoritative about the game, but I know artistry when I see it, and what Geno is creating is absolutely artistry.

For anyone who hasn't watched them in person, do so asap. These ladies are delightful, gracious, and will tear your face off in a heart-beat, if you're on the court against them.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner, Kellen Winslow, and John Jefferson... wow, they were amazing

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom