Air Force still interested | The Boneyard

Air Force still interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like Air Force is still interested and Marrinatto still thinks he can get over $10 Million per year per school with the new TV Deal.

Money is a factor. Air Force makes $1.2 million annually from the Mountain West’s television deal, and the Big East thinks it could get $9-10 million annually for each school in its next television deal.

---------------------------

Army and Navy might also join Air Force in the Big East, which has not issued a formal invitation to the Falcons. While Mueh stopped short of saying it would be a deal breaker for Air Force if both other service academies didn’t join, he said the inclusion of Army and Navy would make the Big East a more attractive option. Mueh said Air Force is monitoring what happens with the Big East before making any decision.
“It would be a great conference with the three service academies and the other schools that are in that conference,” Mueh said. “I think we’d have a very marketable Big East."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the Big East will beat that number. I think the hoops league alone could be worth $8MM/school based on the comps. I think the MWC will get $9-10 per team in their next deal.

Reaction Score
I think the Big East will beat that number. I think the hoops league alone could be worth $8MM/school based on the comps. I think the MWC will get $9-10 per team in their next deal.

I doubt the MWC will see that type of money. They don't have any appeal on the East Coast and basketball is terrible. I think you may be correct about the Big East being able to get more than that if things don't go too badly. If by chance we keep WVU (which I doubt) and UofL (more likely) I think we honestly will get more. All of that depends on what happens with Mizzou and the Big 12 and SEC though

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nothing against Air Force, but what about Jet Blue? I love those little seat back televisions.

Let's get some frequent flier miles out of this bitch. Make it happen, Providence boy.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

That's almost as ridiculous as your idea that the Big East was going to get $18-20 million a school last year. From anyone.

The Big East has a better chance with Comcast of going after a 2006 NHL-style deal where they split any earnings over production costs, than getting 8-10 million a school. Neither will happen. The Big East will get some revenue, but they aren't getting $8 million a school.

Comcast has already taken on the added inventory of the MWC bb contracts for NBCSN. Doubleheaders with the BE game being first? Yeah, that would work...if NBCSN hadn't just doubled their NHL inventory for the next decade. There is space, but it's not like there is a blank canvas for which NBC is going to throw rose pedals are the carcass of the Big East to have the honor of hosting.

There is a way in which I could see Comcast wanting to make a play, and it involves UConn/RU/SHU/Villanova.

The CSN reigonals. Especially CSN-NE. CSN-Philly is much more developed (all the Philly teams), as is CSN-Chicago (White Sox).

CSN-NE is killed by NESN, and this year is only going to make it worse when they don't have their only property to go against NESN (Celtics). Non-existent ratings might make them want to make a big splash, which could be the Big East.

Maybe that's where the future of UConn/CT sports could be. Not NESN, they're beholden to the ACC/Boston pro teams, not SNY, which is beholden to sharing space with the Mets and the RU/SU contracts, not MSG, because it's dead in CT, not YES, because they're locked in with the Big 12 for Tier 2.

There is a RSN that's already on air in almost all of CT, with an HD channel, and I bet 99% of you never even watch it, that is desperate for content. Why the CT Whale haven't gotten a deal with them to air at least a few AHL games instead of the 19th rerun of Mohegan Sun Sports Tonight, is beyond me. Name 5 shows on the channel. Can you? Can you name anything besides the Celtics? It's sitting there as the easiest thing ever to use.

People worry about SNY blacking out parts of CT and not being on some CT cable providers. How about going with a channel everyone has, that won't need blacking out, that's already in all of NE? SNY is developing a CT alternate channel. That's a way to send the UConn stuff to ONLY CT, as far as I'm concerned. Which is not a good thing for UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I actually live 20 minutes from Hartford and don't get Comcast-New England.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's almost as ridiculous as your idea that the Big East was going to get $18-20 million a school last year. From anyone.

The Big East has a better chance with Comcast of going after a 2006 NHL-style deal where they split any earnings over production costs, than getting 8-10 million a school. Neither will happen. The Big East will get some revenue, but they aren't getting $8 million a school.

Comcast has already taken on the added inventory of the MWC bb contracts for NBCSN. Doubleheaders with the BE game being first? Yeah, that would work...if NBCSN hadn't just doubled their NHL inventory for the next decade. There is space, but it's not like there is a blank canvas for which NBC is going to throw rose pedals are the carcass of the Big East to have the honor of hosting.

There is a way in which I could see Comcast wanting to make a play, and it involves UConn/RU/SHU/Villanova.

The CSN reigonals. Especially CSN-NE. CSN-Philly is much more developed (all the Philly teams), as is CSN-Chicago (White Sox).

CSN-NE is killed by NESN, and this year is only going to make it worse when they don't have their only property to go against NESN (Celtics). Non-existent ratings might make them want to make a big splash, which could be the Big East.

Maybe that's where the future of UConn/CT sports could be. Not NESN, they're beholden to the ACC/Boston pro teams, not SNY, which is beholden to sharing space with the Mets and the RU/SU contracts, not MSG, because it's dead in CT, not YES, because they're locked in with the Big 12 for Tier 2.

There is a RSN that's already on air in almost all of CT, with an HD channel, and I bet 99% of you never even watch it, that is desperate for content. Why the CT Whale haven't gotten a deal with them to air at least a few AHL games instead of the 19th rerun of Mohegan Sun Sports Tonight, is beyond me. Name 5 shows on the channel. Can you? Can you name anything besides the Celtics? It's sitting there as the easiest thing ever to use.

People worry about SNY blacking out parts of CT and not being on some CT cable providers. How about going with a channel everyone has, that won't need blacking out, that's already in all of NE? SNY is developing a CT alternate channel. That's a way to send the UConn stuff to ONLY CT, as far as I'm concerned. Which is not a good thing for UConn.

Since ESPN has paid or will pay about $240-260 million to destroy the Big East, I would say my numbers were dead on. Unless you are saying ESPN is stupid and makes bad financial decisions.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Zls,

One point I agree with is the regional nature of college sports and sports in general. There are maybe 10 national fan bases in football, and even some of those are really just super-regional. There are not a lot of Texas fans outside of Texas and the surrounding states. Most people watch the "national" games because those teams are good, not because of who is playing. Notre Dame is kind of an exception, although even their ratings tank when they suck. Boise is the counter example, where they have developed some national following as an "alternative" team primarily because they are so good.

The reality for New York, Philly, New Jersey, Connecticut and most of Massachusetts is that no one will get those markets without major conference teams there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I keep thinking that Boise State will be part of any Big East solution, with some football merger between the best western programs and the Big East + Navy (football only) and maybe Temple and Butler. I don't see any point in adding more bad CUSA basketball programs since the basketball conference needs to be protected at all costs.

Boise, Air Force, SDSU, Fresno, Nevada, SMU, Houston and maybe Colorado State or New Mexico would be the western division of the Big East, responsible for their own TV deal and only playing a couple of crossover games every year against the East. Yes, it would be a 16 team league sharing a single BCS bid, but our wet dream is to join a 16 team league sharing one, so what's the difference? The western schools would be a separate basketball league.

Play the Championship Game at Yankee Stadium.

Reaction Score
Zack, I have to agree with Nelson on this. Prior to the secession by Syracuse & Pitt, the Big East stood, by all accounts, to be in line for a huge payday with the next contract. ESPN stood to lose the Big East to another vender (most likely ComCast-NBComcast has plenty of space with Versus, Comcast Regionals, USA Network & Universal HD. Their problem is that they need more inventory. They will pay a premium over what crumbs ESPN would offer.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Zack, I have to agree with Nelson on this. Prior to the secession by Syracuse & Pitt, the Big East stood, by all accounts, to be in line for a huge payday with the next contract. ESPN stood to lose the Big East to another vender (most likely ComCast-NBComcast has plenty of space with Versus, Comcast Regionals, USA Network & Universal HD. Their problem is that they need more inventory. They will pay a premium over what crumbs ESPN would offer.

To put the Big East games where? I think the money the Big East is staring at is so low, they'll both be able to offer the same. It's going to be more like bidding on a government contract than bidding on a prized item.

Reaction Score
To put the Big East games where? I think the money the Big East is staring at is so low, they'll both be able to offer the same. It's going to be more like bidding on a government contract than bidding on a prized item.
NOW, maybe. But the circumstances were different before the Fruit & Pitt announced that they were leaving. TCU was coming in,expansion to 10-12 was being discussed. The picture looked bright for a huge increase in revenue due to the changing market Pac-12's huge contract). Then the hangman kicked the stool out from underneath the Big East.

Reaction Score
Heh, never thought I'd be able to watch Uconn football live here in Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom