Ahead of BE Tournament & Big Dance | The Boneyard

Ahead of BE Tournament & Big Dance

Reaction Score
Before I get started, I have to admit that earlier in the season, I thought UConn’s chances for a NC would be postponed till next year. Now, I truly believe they can win another this year. Here’s why:

South Carolina & UConn bring back the same players from last year and Stanford virtually does, with the big exception of Kianna Williams. SC improved their team with the #1 recruiting class and added Kamila Cardoso, although they don’t rely too much on the freshmen. Stanford has incredible depth, but count on their core players from last years’s winning team, minus one key player. In comparison, UConn has significantly improved their team with a seasoned big and two dynamic freshman - all who play important roles and key minutes. UConn has more options, combinations and styles to play this year than last.

In last year’s Final Four game against Arizona, UConn appeared physically & emotionally fatigued. The previous game against Baylor took a lot out of the team and they didn’t seem as mentally prepared for what Arizona brought against them as they were for Baylor. No excuses intended, but inexperience showed last year.

Contrast to this year, this team is prepared for adversity. In many ways, the many hiccups along the way are now paying benefits. The team has 9 significant contributors with the added luxury to make in-game personnel adjustments. Both Ducharme and Fudd have confidently solidified their roles and don’t play like freshmen. The number of minutes Paige played last year may have worn her down some, particularly on the mental side, as she was asked to carry the team for most of the season. Thankfully, she seems to have recovered well from surgery, and if there is a benefit, she will enter the post season relatively fresh and highly motivated.

The whole team should be motivated. Of course everyone wants to win a title, but no one wants to be on the team that ended the streak of making consecutive final fours. The experience of last year’s defeat should be evidence that the team has to be ready for every opponent. While the Baylor game was worthy of a final four, the same thing might apply this time too. Depending on final seedlings, UConn may have to play a final four worthy opponent in the Elite Eight. It could be SC or Stanford. That would be unfortunate because having these 3 teams in the final four would make for great viewing.

Regardless of where UConn is placed and seeded, it seems clear to me that UConn’s best ball is in front of them. While no guarantee of success, the rest of the nation realizes UConn is back to being the team it was expected to be - a final four team.

Reaction Score
Ciao,then it seems that GTN is the first of the 3 towards the race to (I'm not saying what out of luck) BET !!!
Always trust Geno, staff and players.
FORZA UCONN !!

Reaction Score
Everything you say, I agree with except the last sentence. I grow weary of “Final Four’ team. This team was recruited and prepared to be an NC team. They are loaded, healthy and will be ready to cut down the nets. This team is a NC team. Anything less is a disappointment for me. I will give no credit to the coach or the players if all we have to say at the end of the Tourney is “ “they made it to the FF for the gazzillinth time.” No one has a stronger roster than UCONN. It’s time to turn that roster into the best team.

Reaction Score
The biggest motivation SC has is the loss to Stanford in the semifinal. It was just a simple missed layup. Dawn Staley can’t motivate her team any better than that memory.

UConn’s loss to AZ leaves a bad taste, but not as bad

Reaction Score
Everything you say, I agree with except the last sentence. I grow weary of “Final Four’ team. This team was recruited and prepared to be an NC team. They are loaded, healthy and will be ready to cut down the nets. This team is a NC team. Anything less is a disappointment for me. I will give no credit to the coach or the players if all we have to say at the end of the Tourney is “ “they made it to the FF for the gazzillinth time.” No one has a stronger roster than UCONN. It’s time to turn that roster into the best team.
No credit. Really?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
In last year’s Final Four game against Arizona, UConn appeared physically & emotionally fatigued. The previous game against Baylor took a lot out of the team and they didn’t seem as mentally prepared for what Arizona brought against them as they were for Baylor. No excuses intended, but inexperience showed last year.

The whole team should be motivated.
UConn appeared physically & emotionally fatigued
(UCONN) didn’t seem as mentally prepared for what Arizona brought against them

I believe the mentally prepared part is what hurt them the most. Christyn said they underestimated Arizona and thus paid dearly for not being mentally prepared.

The whole team should be motivated.
Recently Christyn said she will me more aggressive for the tournaments. This may explain her inconsistency. Paige, Nika, Caroline and Azzi are aggressive all of the time thus being more consistent with their play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom