AG criticizing | The Boneyard

AG criticizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been hard on players, but remember he is still out there and still trying. I've seen several people ask why many still have hope for him, and there are many reasons.
He's been so set back by injuries and we have all seen the flashes of what he can do. I've been hopeful because he's been great at times especially for a run before the facial injury last year.
Remember, part of Carlton's run last year, was helped by AG. He was a key part in getting JC in positions to succeed on the offensive end. To his credit, JC was finishing strong during that run.
I don't think anyone is taking harder than him and he's out there trying. I know he has to be taking it incredibly hard right now.
Still he is a young man with feelings.

As many have said, part of this team's problem is there is no closer/finisher. We are were hoping JB could be that, and I think he can in the long run, but he has to be on the floor.

Reaction Score
I have always supported AG and think there is a lot of talent he has yet to tap.

But the last part of the Houston game was absolutely brutal. There is no excuse for the performance from the foul line especially after he missed two in overtime versus WSU. He should have been living at the line after than. Instead he puts up the 1-7. Very bad.

Reaction Score
I would love to see the crowd get behind AG at the next home game - from the intro. Obv he’s struggling and hurting the team at critical points, but he’s still a young man trying his best and is still our best option - and most of all he’s a husky that’s stood by the program when others bolted.

All this board critique is fair based on performance - but maybe he’ll flip a switch in response to positive fan feedback rather than negative.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Especially the clowns who choose to tweet at AG and directly talk trash. So unnecessary.
This x100, A message board is what it is. BUT if you are a UConn fan who is tweeting at AG directly or screaming at him in person while he is busting his ass for this program during games, you should follow it by immediately turning in your UConn gear because you don’t deserve to enjoy where this program is about to go.

Reaction Score
I don't think we should killing him. But I think it's fair to question how Hurley is using him. At this point they're 18 games into the season. Hurley hasn't seen enough to make some changes? Are there better things he could do? Based on the personnel at his disposal maybe not. I just don't know any more. This team is a conundrum!

Reaction Score
Foul shooting aside, the problem that Gilbert is having is finishing games and it is really not his fault. Unfortunately, who is the alpha offensive player on this team that UConn can count on at the end of games? Nobody right now, maybe Bouknight in the future. Look at the lineup after Bouknight fouled out last night: Gilbert, Vital, Akok, Adams, and Whaley. Who in that group can create their own shot and make baskets when needed?

So, in close games, Gilbert tries to do too much and he is not making winning plays. Give him Jalen Adams next to him and Gilbert looks a lot better and UConn has more wins this year.

Hurley has the team playing with good energy and they are playing good defense. But, in a close game, you also need someone to score. Hopefully, Bouknight can develop into that guy.

Reaction Score
As mentioned above I definitely believe that AG has the heart and all the intention to do well but MAN, at this point in his career and this season, OTHER TEAMS SCOUTING, must read as follows: stay up on him at the 3 point line hard, if trying to split a double team allow as he ALMOST CERTAINLY will drive straight to basket, ALWAYS HAVE weak side help ready for the block. Although AG driving to the rack has certainly gotten him some points in the past I have seen FAR TOO MANY of these drives ending with me screaming my BRAINS out and my wife yelling at me for screaming at the TV. We have to HOLD HIM ACCOUNTABLE!
PS I am now screaming at the TV at Sidney Wilson albeit for his 3 pointers in opportune times he's been hitting. I'd take Sid with his D and occaisonal 3 now then AG, Give me some Bouknight at this point now. Lets move on to the future and give James the playing time he deserves and not be scared that he's going to jump ship early. Thank you.
--Curtsy---

Reaction Score
If he can start hitting outside shots at a constant clip, I think a lot more will open up for him. For now, the whole opposing team is swarming the paint when he starts to penetrate.

As Bouk develops, things will also open up for him. Also as Akok becomes a better offensive target off his penetrations, that will help too.

For the fans, the boneyard is your punching bag, but leave it in the yard.

Reaction Score
My wife loves me more than anyone in the world, but damn if she doesn't throw shade at me when deserving. Hell my daughters are even worse and probably my worse critic.

However they are my best supporters though.

Just saying . . . . . . . .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AG isn't a great crunch time player. Xavier, Villanova, and now Houston have shown this. Its Hurley continuing to put him in the position where he struggles and expecting better results. We have 5 guards, how many games until Hurley tries something different in crunch time?

Reaction Score
Don't tweet at him. He is a good kid who has been thru hell and has tried hard for the program. I am grateful for this effort, but he is not a quality point guard and hasno consistency. That is reality. Does Hurley just leave him in the same capacity with the same results or can something else happen that can move the team forward? Sometimes players aren't good enough. If he comes back next year no promises should be made. I like him off the bench for less minutes.

Reaction Score
AG isn't a great crunch time player. Xavier, Villanova, and now Houston have shown this. Its Hurley continuing to put him in the position where he struggles and expecting better results. We have 5 guards, how many games until Hurley tries something different in crunch time?
I remember another young UConn point guard who had a rep for trying to do too much at crunch time when he was learning the role. Always thought it worked out pretty well that his coach kept expecting better results.

Read through any of these Kemba soph year stories and it’s eerie how similar it is to what AG is getting killed for the same number of games into his career.

UConn Backcourt's Flaws Exposed

Reaction Score
I remember another young UConn point guard who had a rep for trying to do too much at crunch time when he was learning the role. Always thought it worked out pretty well that his coach kept expecting better results.

Read through any of these Kemba soph year stories and it’s eerie how similar it is to what AG is getting killed for the same number of games into his career.

Sophomore Kemba was irritating as hell, that's for sure. Taliek also. Both made us eat our words, hopefully AG will do likewise.

Reaction Score
This x100, A message board is what it is. BUT if you are a UConn fan who is tweeting at AG directly or screaming at him in person while he is busting his ass for this program during games, you should follow it by immediately turning in your UConn gear because you don’t deserve to enjoy where this program is about to go.
All Facts

Reaction Score
I've wondered if his struggles especially at the end of games is somewhat a result of being exhausted. Does anyone think anybody else on the team (with exception of Vital) plays longer/harder than AG.
It's why I'd like to see him return next year and see him with Cole. Gaffney and Adams should be getting better and get more minutes, too. I'd like to see a more rested Gilbert and how he plays then. No one can argue that his giving it his all out there.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
If you are going to take it out on someone take it out on the head coach, as Hurley himself said. Don’t take it out on a college kid giving it his all every game to win. AG has been loyal and has a huge heart. He loves his team and this program. It’s a disgrace to publicly criticize him. The kid owes you nothing. He is here to get an education and play the sport he loves. One of the things about college basketball that I love is that you get to watch these players learn and get better and become men. Isn’t that what college is about? AG is too talented to not turn it around. But the very people that should be supporting him are jumping on him for every mistake...ridiculous. How is that making it any easier for him to gain his confidence back? He is not a professional athlete and people need to stop acting as if he is. If you have a problem with something, put it on coach. That’s his job. He is the one getting paid. He is the one that owes us something in return for paying him millions. He is the one that decides to play AG as much as he does and when he does. If Coach Hurley did not see something that would benefit the team he wouldn’t be playing AG. Simple as that. IDK man... call me crazy but the guy that spends hours interacting and coaching these kids must know more than a bunch of arm chair coaches and internet bullies. If you are frustrated tag Hurley on Twitter... go to the gym and punch a punching bag...go bang your wife. Just please stop trashing our players. It’s embarrassing.

Reaction Score
If you are going to take it out on someone take it out on the head coach, as Hurley himself said. Don’t take it out on a college kid giving it his all every game to win. AG has been loyal and has a huge heart. He loves his team and this program. It’s a disgrace to publicly criticize him. The kid owes you nothing. He is here to get an education and play the sport he loves. One of the things about college basketball that I love is that you get to watch these players learn and get better and become men. Isn’t that what college is about? AG is too talented to not turn it around. But the very people that should be supporting him are jumping on him for every mistake...ridiculous. How is that making it any easier for him to gain his confidence back? He is not a professional athlete and people need to stop acting as if he is. If you have a problem with something, put it on coach. That’s his job. He is the one getting paid. He is the one that owes us something in return for paying him millions. He is the one that decides to play AG as much as he does and when he does. If Coach Hurley did not see something that would benefit the team he wouldn’t be playing AG. Simple as that. IDK man... call me crazy but the guy that spends hours interacting and coaching these kids must know more than a bunch of arm chair coaches and internet bullies. If you are frustrated tag Hurley on Twitter... go to the gym and punch a punching bag...go bang your wife. Just please stop trashing our players. It’s embarrassing.
Great post Top Dog! This kid is giving his heart and soul to the team, doing what he thinks best. It's up to the HC to make sure he doesn't continue to do it, assuming he doesn't want him too. The problem for us right now is we don't have many qualified players to hand the keys too down the stretch. So even if Hurley is asking/telling him not to, AG may feel that driving is still his best option to create a shot. Unfortunately, it hasn't been working late in games. Ironically, when he tried to change and pass first, as in the 'Nova game, he threw it away, so he reverted back to the dribble drive against Houston. He's still our best option and may just need another guy to cut to the basket in order to have a good alternative available. Whatever the case though, trashing him here does no one any good and clearly doesn't help if he happens to read it later. It's up to the Coach to right the ship!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sophomore Kemba was irritating as hell, that's for sure. Taliek also. Both made us eat our words, hopefully AG will do likewise.
Start, please, with free throws.
Note that Vital's free throw stat line was 6-6.

Reaction Score
Foul shooting aside, the problem that Gilbert is having is finishing games and it is really not his fault. Unfortunately, who is the alpha offensive player on this team that UConn can count on at the end of games? Nobody right now, maybe Bouknight in the future. Look at the lineup after Bouknight fouled out last night: Gilbert, Vital, Akok, Adams, and Whaley. Who in that group can create their own shot and make baskets when needed?

So, in close games, Gilbert tries to do too much and he is not making winning plays. Give him Jalen Adams next to him and Gilbert looks a lot better and UConn has more wins this year.

Hurley has the team playing with good energy and they are playing good defense. But, in a close game, you also need someone to score. Hopefully, Bouknight can develop into that guy.
Where can we pin this... spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger