After the Fact Observations | The Boneyard

After the Fact Observations

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Because of my situation I never watch a game in real time these days. I'll use a tracker to keep abreast and I'll read what people post on the BY, but I don't actually observe the game until afterwards. By that time I know WHAT has happened (filtering out the usual pessimism that occurs on any Internet forum); that then enables me to focus on WHY.

In watching the first 12 minutes or so of the game, the guard from the Fairleigh Dickinson men's team almost 20 years ago came to mind (since it was long ago, some of my details may be fuzzy). He scored over 40 points against us while guarded by what everyone considered to be the best defensive guard in the country at the time, and still the best defensive guard in the history of UConn men's basketball, Ricky Moore. Moore, in fact, was responsible for the final defensive stop that gave us our first championship, against a future NBA player.

My point being that Jesperson was like that Fairleigh Dickinson guard for the first part of the game. There was nothing wrong in how she was being guarded. She made contested shots; she made difficult shots. That happens, just as it also happens that even the best players have shooting slumps. (Btw, wish I had a dollar for every time I saw a thread that proclaimed "I've never seen so many missed lay ups!") I also noted how well USF moved and caused us to constantly switch on defense. They were executing well at trying to get favorable match-ups, with limited success (except for Jesperson, in which case it didn't matter who was guarding her for awhile).

Yet despite a well-coached team that knows us well, and a player that was unstoppable for awhile, we stilled played well defensively and we still found players who shot the ball well. That happens when ALL your players are potential high scorers. Some fans have to worry about one, two or three players having an off night, for us to be in trouble we would have to worry about four, five or six players having an off night, while the other team has a player who has become unstoppable for that game. It could happen, but I like our odds.

Reaction Score
Great post!
Jack Ramsay (my avatar) once told me that a good offensive player should be able to beat a great defensive player every time. The qualifier is that "beat" can mean getting off only one's second best shot. The goal is to cut off the easy angles and make the good offensive player get a little out of their comfort zone....and then hope for the best.

Reaction Score
Great post Digger. The fact that we had 3 games in 3 days was always going to be a problem when you have players who are not 100%. Thankfully Gabby didn’t have to play the second game. The best part is we will not have to do that again and can take 1 game at a time.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Yet despite a well-coached team that knows us well, and a player that was unstoppable for awhile, we stilled played well defensively and we still found players who shot the ball well. That happens when ALL your players are potential high scorers. Some fans have to worry about one, two or three players having an off night, for us to be in trouble we would have to worry about four, five or six players having an off night, while the other team has a player who has become unstoppable for that game. It could happen, but I like our odds.

Yes, the odds are in our favor, but at some point the immutable law of large numbers will catch up. No matter how weak the other team is (and USF is no cupcake), if you have to play them 1000 times, there will just be that one time that everything will go against you, and you get beaten. It's not a matter of if, but when. The fact that this still has not happen (although it came close to happening against Tulane) after all these years is a truly remarkable achievement of Geno and his coaching staff.

People can say AAC is a joke all they want, but to defy the law of large numbers for so long is a feat almost as awe-inspiring to me as winning 11 NCs.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Yes, the odds are in our favor, but at some point the immutable law of large numbers will catch up. No matter how weak the other team is (and USF is no cupcake), if you have to play them 1000 times, there will just be that one time that everything will go against you, and you get beaten. It's not a matter of if, but when. The fact that this still has not happen (although it came close to happening against Tulane) after all these years is a truly remarkable achievement of Geno and his coaching staff.

People can say AAC is a joke all they want, but to defy the law of large numbers for so long is a feat almost as awe-inspiring to me as winning 11 NCs.
Let's just hope we can keep breaking the law and getting away with it. It happens! ;)

Reaction Score
Great post!
Jack Ramsay (my avatar) once told me that a good offensive player should be able to beat a great defensive player every time. The qualifier is that "beat" can mean getting off only one's second best shot. The goal is to cut off the easy angles and make the good offensive player get a little out of their comfort zone....and then hope for the best.

I thought that avatar was yogi Berra with a basketball

Reaction Score
I thought that avatar was yogi Berra with a basketball
You'd figure Justine would know whom Geno chose to accompany him in his own Enshrinement in the HoF. Wasn't Yogi Berra. :)
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 3.55.07 PM.png

Reaction Score
Great post!
Jack Ramsey was a great coach, and a great American.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom