After Success At Villanova, Crocker Brings Aggressive Defensive Plan To UConn (M. Anthony) | The Boneyard

After Success At Villanova, Crocker Brings Aggressive Defensive Plan To UConn (M. Anthony)

Reaction Score
After Success At Villanova, Crocker Brings Aggressive Defensive Plan To UConn

>>"I'm not going to fit a square peg into a round hole, and our principle and the way we teach will be there, but if we have to adjust what we can do until we get our guys in place, then that's what we'll do," Crocker said. "A lot of people say, [3-3-5] is what you are. And that's really not the case. That's our personnel, is probably a better way to explain it."<<

>>"We're a more aggressive, attacking defense than what [UConn has] had in the past, but they've certainly done some good things here," Crocker said. "My goal is to make things happen, not sit back and wait for the [opponent] to screw up. [An offense's] goal is to hit big plays, and they're going to get a couple inevitably. But the more we can get our own big plays, we're better off."<<

Last edited:

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Good. I'll take an aggressive defense that gives up a big play every once in a while all day over a soft ass D that just let's other teams march down their throats all game at 6 yards a clip.

Reaction Score
Good. I'll take an aggressive defense that gives up a big play every once in a while all day over a soft ass D that just let's other teams march down their throats all game at 6 yards a clip.
Double like...I was actually more frustrated over this defensive style of play during the BD era than the dreadful offense

Reaction Score
Love this part: "My goal is to make things happen, not sit back and wait for the [opponent] to screw up...."

IMO, an appropriate jab at the previous regime's defensive philosophy.... I hated that style of play.

Reaction Score
That made my day. So many great quotes that sounded so familiar in sentiment to what many of us have been waiting to hear. I know, "be careful what you wish for". Not scared of the potholes this season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm all for the aggressive D.

Just remember the moans and groans when Don Brown's D gave up lots of 3rd and longs.

At least Don's defense generated turnovers and made the offense break the D.

Reaction Score

Just remember the moans and groans when Don Brown's D gave up lots of 3rd and longs.

True, but DB's defense blitzed on almost every down. I could be wrong, but I don't think Crocker will be employing the blitz as often. Hopefully that will limit the amount of 3rd and long conversions the opposition will convert at inopportune moments.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The aggressive D often puts corners on an island. I think this is a good year for that with Bell and Summers. If Summers can get a little closer to his soph year form, they could be one of our better combos. And we have had some great CB combos in our short BCS history.

Reaction Score
RE 2.0 has an aggressive OC and an aggressive DC. What universe did I wake up in?
Same universe different time frame. ;) An older which = wiser RE 2.0 ....
That and the same goes for who he is now working for compared to the past. :D I will take the high road as Randy has not mention names, but resources and ability to pay staff is way beyond anything from his past here.

Whether we like it or not, his time at Maryland had to pay dividends in his seeing on the field the evolution of the game. ( Plus deeper recruiting connections ) He has returned a different man and from what I have seen so far in a better place as a head coach.
Surrounded himself with talent and sounds like he wants to let them go with what they know! listening to Randy and how he wants the show to go, Rhett and Billy have carte blanch.
Optimistic as all hell you have woke up in the era that has us playing on New Years Day some time soon!

Reaction Score
That and the same goes for who he is now working for compared to the past. :D I will take the high road as Randy has not mention names, but resources and ability to pay staff is way beyond anything from his past here.

Whether we like it or not, his time at Maryland had to pay dividends in his seeing on the field the evolution of the game. ( Plus deeper recruiting connections ) He has returned a different man and from what I have seen so far in a better place as a head coach.
Surrounded himself with talent and sounds like he wants to let them go with what they know! listening to Randy and how he wants the show to go, Rhett and Billy have carte blanch.
Optimistic as all hell you have woke up in the era that has us playing on New Years Day some time soon!
IMHO it was working for Jim Caldwell in Detroit that was the difference maker. When he was let go at MD he was still the 1.0 version.

Reaction Score

We have seen both styles. Live and learn. As we long as we are plus turnovers.

Reaction Score

part of those 3rd and longs were due to a lack of an offense... argue all you want against that, but how long can a defense stay on the field when your O sucked so bad????

Hopefully, we have a little more balance between the 2 going forward.. It certainly appears that way so far....

Reaction Score

Amen

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom