After position switch, East Hartford’s Kevon Jones making big plays on UConn defense (Putterman) | The Boneyard

After position switch, East Hartford’s Kevon Jones making big plays on UConn defense (Putterman)

Reaction Score
After position switch, East Hartford’s Kevon Jones making big plays on UConn defense

>>Jones tallied nine tackles in his college debut and went on to start five games at middle linebacker, finishing the year sixth among Huskies in tackles, second in sacks and second in tackles for loss. But, along with the rest of a perilously young UConn defense, he struggled with some of college football’s finer points, as the Huskies gave up touchdowns in bunches. Jones’ season ended three games early, after Edsall recommended he focus on academics.

Despite his relative success at middle linebacker, Jones had no objection last spring when coaches told him he’d be moving to defensive end. “I was fine with it," Jones said. "Whatever coach feels like is best for this team, I’m fine with it. I feel like it actually fits me better as a stand-up D-end instead of a linebacker.”

This fall, he has played largely at UConn’s “rover” position, an outside linebacker/defensive end hybrid spot. At 6 feet 2, 252 pounds, Jones has reasonable size for the role, and his speed makes him dangerous in the pass rush.<<

>>Asked to evaluate his performance so far this season, Jones said he has been “pretty good” but that he hopes to get to the quarterback more quickly and become a better leader on defense. <<

Reaction Score
The JI Version of the story: UConn's Edsall wants to keep East Hartford's Jones on track

>>In the big picture, however, Edsall is worried about Jones getting a bit too full of compliments. And Jones himself understands the approach in theory at least. “Everybody needs that person who is going to re-direct them. That’s why I love coach so much,” said Jones, known as “K.K.” to his teammates and coaches. “He sees my potential and he definitely doesn’t let me sleep on it.”<<

>>He claims not to want to go too heavy on the sugar but Edsall thinks Jones has the potential to equal any of them.“I think he’s making progress,” Edsall said. “If he wants to work at it and really be good, he could be one of the better ones we’ve had around here.”

To get there, the coach insists Jones avoid metaphorical treats from others, too.“He has to listen to the right people,” Edsall said.And for his part Jones is at least for now in agreement with Edsall’s feelings on the matter.
“Staying humble is key,” Jones said.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32
Top Bottom