After overcoming a host of injuries early in high school, UConn 2021 commit, Mass. product Caroline Ducharme fulfills dream of becoming a Husky | The Boneyard

After overcoming a host of injuries early in high school, UConn 2021 commit, Mass. product Caroline Ducharme fulfills dream of becoming a Husky

Reaction Score
Good Courant Article adding additional color to Caroline Ducharme's recruitment process at UCONN. Thought it deserved a separate thread:

Alex Gallagher, Ducharme’s coach at Noble and Greenough school, describes Ducharme as “athletically and instinctively a really rare breed" that “has an edge to her, a fire that is really intense and affects her teammates in a very positive and competitive way.” He sees Ducharme’s competitive nature and drive as a natural fit with Auriemma’s coaching style.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Caroline has lots of interesting layers.

Perhaps most impressively, Gallagher brought Ducharme on as an assistant coach during her sophomore year, where alongside the rest of the coaching staff she broke down film and worked on scouts. The coach says that the experience elevated her basketball IQ to a whole new level and that she carried it over into her junior campaign, where she continued to have a voice in game preparation.

and she wants to earn the time

“She’ll be determined to get there and earn time. But she’ll earn it,” Gallagher said. “She expects none, she knows that she’s got to earn it and she’s got to earn it by really working her butt off and doing everything she can to be prepared for Coach Auriemma and his staff. And there’s no doubt in my mind she’ll work tirelessly to arrive on campus ready to give them everything she’s got and as prepared as she possibly can.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Don't subscribe to Courant. What injuries did she suffer?

Specific quotes

Ducharme’s commitment has been all the more meaningful for her given the setbacks she faced early on in high school. She tore her ACL going into her freshman year before tearing her shoulder labrum and missing her sophomore season.

Intent on not letting the time off the court go to waste, Ducharme focused on improving as a shooter while recovering from the knee injury and then worked on getting bigger, stronger and more agile as her shoulder healed. All that adversity gave her a bit of a chip on her shoulder, she says, of wanting to prove people wrong and get back to where she was before.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"The junior guard from Milton averaged 24.8 points, 14 rebounds and 6 assists for the NEPSAC Class AA champions."

Yeah, ESPN has Caroline ranked incorrectly. These programs certainly see her as a highly ranked player. "Ducharme held offers from several other top programs, including Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Maryland, Tennessee and Michigan, and planned to make another round of visits after the Final Four."

1586013163839.png

Reaction Score
Specific quotes

Ducharme’s commitment has been all the more meaningful for her given the setbacks she faced early on in high school. She tore her ACL going into her freshman year before tearing her shoulder labrum and missing her sophomore season.

Intent on not letting the time off the court go to waste, Ducharme focused on improving as a shooter while recovering from the knee injury and then worked on getting bigger, stronger and more agile as her shoulder healed. All that adversity gave her a bit of a chip on her shoulder, she says, of wanting to prove people wrong and get back to where she was before.

Those are horrible injuries. I really hope she goes injury-free for the remainder of her career. The long-term effects of an ACL tear can be devastating. Shea Ralph, having torn her ACL (what?- twice?) counsels other players about what to expect and how to cope with the pain.

Didn't Tina tear her shoulder labrum and have surgery?

Really tough injuries.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Don't subscribe to Courant. What injuries did she suffer?
I don't either. I just read the article(s) through my browser. When I get the message that I've reached my free article limit, I just change browsers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Those are horrible injuries. I really hope she goes injury-free for the remainder of her career. The long-term effects of an ACL tear can be devastating. Shea Ralph, having torn her ACL (what?- twice?) counsels other players about what to expect and how to cope with the pain.

Really tough injuries.

I read somewhere that Caroline is very mature about her body and is very conscientious about her off court regimen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Great story! Lots of interesting info.

I particularly like the story about Caroline being an assistant coach as a sophomore. It reminds me of Sue Bird watching from the bench while hurt as a freshman at UConn. She absorbed everything that Geno taught.

I also like Caroline Ducharme's versatility and what Saylor has to say about her. Saylor is the most versatile player I've seen since Maya. Caroline seems pretty close.

On a different topic, it's interesting that both of Caroline's parents attended Williams College (in the Little 3), her sister plays at Brown, and she looked at Stanford. She is passing up an Ivy-level education for UConn. That makes me wonder about Kiki Rice, the freshman who was the Gatorade POY in D.C. in BOTH soccer and basketball. Both of Kiki's parents went to Yale, so I was thinking Princeton or Stanford would appeal to her. But Professor Auriemma is a Hall of Famer and will make a great sales pitch.

Reaction Score

Really tough injuries.

It’s 2020 ACL injuries aren’t what they used to be (ie in Shea’s day where I think she had 3)

Reaction Score
Specific quotes

Instantly a favorite.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that Caroline is very mature about her body and is very conscientious about her off court regimen.
Not playing with any braces...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom