After Orlovsky: UConn's QB Search Goes On And On And On (Courant) | The Boneyard

After Orlovsky: UConn's QB Search Goes On And On And On (Courant)

Reaction Score
I think I always overstate Bryant Shirrefs; it is obvious from the Stats and the WonLoss that he was a good fill after a few tough years. Lorenzen comes off as far better in the grand review as he Won and moved the chains. He also got hurt and that is a unsatisfied look in his 2nd year. You forget the plugs like the time Dennis Brown started or Mike Nebrich actually played. McEntee stats look better than I remember. Endres threw great balls but the winning was not there. And the uplift of Casey Cochran winning late in the Weist interim period.

Just not much to hang your hat on.

For any of the 4 (including Williams), it isn't going to be hard to be the number 2 in my memory.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I know they aren't perfect measures but I am a big fan of completion percentage and TD/INT ratio in terms of evaluating QB competency. I always struggled with Frazer and Whitney and they usually hovered between 50% and 60% and threw more picks than TDs. Endres was much better but couldn't stay on the field so he's disqualified (as is CC who didn't have enough run before he retired).

While BS threw a lot more short passes, at the end of the day he had a completion percentage >60% and had more TDs than INTs. I still feel he has been the third best QB we've had in the modern era (DO, TL, BS).

Reaction Score
I know they aren't perfect measures but I am a big fan of completion percentage and TD/INT ratio in terms of evaluating QB competency. I always struggled with Frazer and Whitney and they usually hovered between 50% and 60% and threw more picks than TDs. Endres was much better but couldn't stay on the field so he's disqualified (as is CC who didn't have enough run before he retired).

While BS threw a lot more short passes, at the end of the day he had a completion percentage >60% and had more TDs than INTs. I still feel he has been the third best QB we've had in the modern era (DO, TL, BS).
This....absolutely !!!!!

Reaction Score
Thought Endres was second best but got booted which left non schollie Johnny Mac and the deteriorating mess to follow.

Whether it was edsall who didn't recruit enough QB's or PP taking Boyle and getting rid of Lagow not sure. Just a mess, especially after Casey got hurt again.

Reaction Score
Thought Endres was second best but got booted which left non schollie Johnny Mac and the deteriorating mess to follow.

Whether it was edsall who didn't recruit enough QB's or PP taking Boyle and getting rid of Lagow not sure. Just a mess, especially after Casey got hurt again.
I think PP biggest mistake was going with the unathletic McCantee over the raw freshman Nebrich. Should have taken his lumps with the true freshman that 1st year. Mac just wasn't good enough for the Big East.

Reaction Score
I think PP biggest mistake was going with the unathletic McCantee over the raw freshman Nebrich. Should have taken his lumps with the true freshman that 1st year. Mac just wasn't good enough for the Big East.

Neither was Nebrich in his true freshman year. IIRC 2011 should have been Endres' senior season. If he could've laid off the weed who knows what the last 6 years would've held. Endres plays well in 2011, we go bowling, Nebrich red shirts and is our QB for the next few years. . . .who knows.

Reaction Score
Not sure what your 1st sentence means, but I always felt P didn't pick Nebrich because it wasn't his guy, and McCantee fit his bare cupboard meme better.

Reaction Score
Not sure what your 1st sentence means, but I always felt P didn't pick Nebrich because it wasn't his guy, and McCantee fit his bare cupboard meme better.

I meant Nebrich wasn't good enough for the Big East that year. That's not a knock on him. Most true freshmen aren't.

Reaction Score
Going after Boyle when we had Lagow locked up proved really bad. It set up competition but we lost Lagow and Boyle can't start for East Boomfalk.

Reaction Score
Yes, this set UConn back the last 2-3 years in the sense that Boyle didn't work out and Lagow was scared of any competition

We could have avoided the last 2 BS years and transitioned to a more dynamic player

Going after Boyle when we had Lagow locked up proved really bad. It set up competition but we lost Lagow and Boyle can't start for East Boomfalk.

Reaction Score
In fairness to Boyle, I'm not sure Lagow would have been all that successful behind the offensive lines we've been putting on the field. That has to impact play as much mentally as it does physically (see Shireffs taking off from the pocket before the pressure is there).

Reaction Score
Yes, this set UConn back the last 2-3 years in the sense that Boyle didn't work out and Lagow was scared of any competition

We could have avoided the last 2 BS years and transitioned to a more dynamic player
Casey's concussions and retirement hurt us a lot more. He was going to be a star.

Reaction Score
The next person to call Whitmer, Whitney gets a blanket party with rolls of quarters inside multiple socks.

By the way, who the hell is McCantee? ;)

Reaction Score

Another thing in BS's favor is the fact that he played with the worst OL I have ever seen at any level (high school, college, NFL). You have to factor in OL play whenever analyzing QB and RB play. What can of numbers would Newsome put up with a good OL?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
AGAIN...

Connecticut Huskies Passing | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

If one of the new guys outperforms BS, then they would be at least the 2nd best UConn QB since DanO.

He is in the group with Lorenzen and Frazer and statistically better than both of them.

I'll point out that Cochran's run was too short to qualify for any all time discussion, only because I know one of you backup lovers will bring him up.

Reaction Score
Another thing in BS's favor is the fact that he played with the worst OL I have ever seen at any level (high school, college, NFL). You have to factor in OL play whenever analyzing QB and RB play. What can of numbers would Newsome put up with a good OL?

Newsome, although not a back with high gear breakaway speed would put up serious numbers with the right blocking. He follows blocks very well (always has), but you have to put him in the right position and actually have blocks to cut off to make that work. I would also like to see him not try to bulk up anymore. Speed and quickness are more important. Maybe we get a complementary back to step up this year and get this OL which has some decent guys (IMO) over the hump and into a rhythm where they can start getting defenses off-balance. Then we'll see some numbers. Quickness, Technique, Sleds!

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Lagow transferred two more times after leaving UConn. He spent time at 4 different schools. It is safe to assume the PP signed Boyle knowing that RL wasn't fully committed and could very well have been looking to bolt before he arrived on campus. PP did a lot of dumb things here, but signing a second QB in that class wasn't one of them.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Lagow transferred two more times after leaving UConn. He spent time at 4 different schools. It is safe to assume the PP signed Boyle knowing that RL wasn't fully committed and could very well have been looking to bolt before he arrived on campus. PP did a lot of dumb things here, but signing a second QB in that class wasn't one of them.
I thought it was the third kid we signed and brought in at the last moment that really did in Lagow. I know Boyle signing probably didn't help but randomly picking up the other kid (can't recall his name) seemed to be the one that made it be too many QBs for Lagow's liking.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I thought it was the third kid we signed and brought in at the last moment that really did in Lagow. I know Boyle signing probably didn't help but randomly picking up the other kid (can't recall his name) seemed to be the one that made it be too many QBs for Lagow's liking.

Truth is that the kid went all around the country looking for a guaranteed starting job, or as close to it as you might find. If some kid whose name you don't remember scared him off, then he was going to leave the minute things didn't go his way. Boyle was an equivalent level of recruit but his HS league was no where near Lagow's. He should not have been worried about any other QB on the roster if he had any confidence in his ability (which he most certainly did). If you ask me, he was looking for greener pastures and better offers from the moment he signed. Once he got here, he decided a walk on spot at Okst, was a better option than UConn.

There is no reason to ponder what might have been with him, he was never going to be fully committed here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom