After draft what happens | The Boneyard

After draft what happens

Reaction Score
When do Samuelson and Collier report? They still have school and WNBA season starts in a month.

Reaction Score
When do Samuelson and Collier report? They still have school and WNBA season starts in a month.

Training camp and preseason starts in a few weeks, so I’m assuming they have a few weeks to finish up at school then report to there teams

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
KLS was in a position academically to get her degree at the conclusion of the winter term. Not sure what Napheesa's status is academically. Suspect the next academic commitment is the graduation ceremony and photo with Geno. Suspect both players will begin to train on campus or near by for start of WNBA season with pickup games among former teammates and some other payers that might come in from overseas to prepare for start of the season. Also believe Aubrey Griffin has the option to participate in pickup games also.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sky, for example, open training camp May 5 and regular season on May 25 against Lynx and Pheesa. Sounds like Lou could make camp. If you think you might get drafted, it's smart to finish academics a semester early, giving you an edge in making pro roster. Or is there a league rule abput reporting date? Did she take classes while rehabing?

Reaction Score
Has not been uncommon for drafted WNBA players to work our arrangements to complete academic work in other ways rather than having to attend classes in order to report to camp. Some of them do not return to their campuses to go through their commencement activities; not sure if any UConn players did not return for commencement but have read of instances where others were not able to return.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn's finals are the week of May 6-11, with commencement ceremonies on May 11-12. Hopefully both of them will be able to participate in their class graduation exercises. The Lynx have a preseason home game against the Mystics on May 10. Hopefully Reeve will insist that Collier participate in her college graduation ceremonies. No doubt she and her family would appreciate it. The Chicago Sky's first preseason game is Tuesday May 14 at home vs. the Fever, no conflict there.

Unfortunately, none of the WNBA's preseason games are televised. :(

This just in -
The Minnesota Lynx today announced the team has acquired a second round pick in the 2020 WNBA Draft from the New York Liberty in exchange for guard Tanisha Wright.

The Lynx will kick off their 21st WNBA season, presented by Mayo Clinic by welcoming the Chicago Sky to Target Center on Saturday, May 25 at 7:00 p.m. The 2019 campaign includes 34 regular-season games from May 25 through September 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Normally new college players are expected to participate in full training camps and will be granted a day off for graduation if requested. These players have jobs now so it’s time to be responsible towards them. It’s called adulting.

Reaction Score
Normally new college players are expected to participate in full training camps and will be granted a day off for graduation if requested. These players have jobs now so it’s time to be responsible towards them. It’s called adulting.
Well, adulting also means finishing school, so if finals arebeing conducted during training camp and preseason, the adult thing to do would be for the adults at the WNBA to adjust their schedule and season. I follow WNBA closely and fixing this shouldn't be a problem. True, this only affects a handful of players, the new draftees, but the message it sends is we, the WNBA, put education first. Part of the problem I have with NBA--and male college ball--is that it makes it so easy to leave college. It is possible for a basketball player to enter college as a freshman in September, then quit going to class before end of second semester in anticipation of going pro.

Reaction Score
Well, adulting also means finishing school

Having a job in the WNBA doesn’t require being a graduate, so if you get drafted into the WNBA, the player has to decide what’s more important to them. I’ve never heard of a case where a player doesn’t show up to training camp because they would prefer to finish up school the traditional way. Training camp is very important if a player is serious about the WNBA. They have to learn a new system, they have to learn new plays, they have learn how to play with new teammates. They only have three weeks to learn all this, and they have to do it well if they want to get any playing time. If a player were to decide to show up on opening day of the WNBA season (May 24), they would either be riding the pine or cut. If you’re a low draft pick with low odds of making the team the way it is, you definitely don’t want to miss training camp.

so if finals are being conducted during training camp and preseason, the adult thing to do would be for the adults at the WNBA to adjust their schedule and season.

The season is set when it is and has stayed about the same every year. So the players must be the ones adjusting. I’m sure most have planned ahead and been guided on how to handle the situation. A lot of the players have been in summer sessions fulfilling their requirements early. I heard both Young (12 credits short) and Ionescu nearly had all their requirements done in 3 years. Anriel Howard was a graduate in three years. That’s how she was able to do a no-wait graduate transfer. So if finishing up school before moving onto the WNBA is that important that to a player, they plan ahead and do what they need to do. I think a lot of the requirements and testing can be done online if they still have that to wrap up and it can be done at their leisure.

I follow WNBA closely and fixing this shouldn't be a problem.

You say it shouldn’t be a problem, not that it isn’t a problem. You tell me how it’s done then. You’re the expert here on the WNBA.

True, this only affects a handful of players, the new draftees, but the message it sends is we, the WNBA, put education first. Part of the problem I have with NBA--and male college ball--is that it makes it so easy to leave college. It is possible for a basketball player to enter college as a freshman in September, then quit going to class before end of second semester in anticipation of going pro.

Maybe your problem should be that giving males the choice to choose what path they want to take and not giving females that same right to choose is a form of sexism. Why does it exist? I guess it’s all about obtaining the best athletes in high-demand professional sports and the money generated by them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom