After a busy offseason, here are some potential lineups for the 2022-23 season | The Boneyard

After a busy offseason, here are some potential lineups for the 2022-23 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Courant. Beat writers seem to be busy looking for things to write during this part of the offseason.

Alternate free link:

After a busy offseason for the UConn men’s basketball team, here are some potential lineups for the 2022-23 season

Reaction Score
Samson Johnson is going to have to fight his way on the court. But it’s clear they see him as a 5 in the 4 out offense

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just an FYI that Dom is not the UConn beat writer for the Courant any more. It's Shreyas Laddha and he wrote this article.
He's doing a good job. Bringing some of the attention we once saw from "the horde".

Reaction Score
Samson Johnson is going to have to fight his way on the court. But it’s clear they see him as a 5 in the 4 out offense
If Johnson doesn't see the court then this is a recruiting L for Hurley and company. With the portal the way it is players that don't see the court after 2 years enter it.

This article is just Shreyas opinion, I don't think they see him as Sanogos backup. If they are only playing him at the 5 then they are wasting his talent.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think Dom sees Samson as a back up at the 5. Be willing to bet DH sees him as alot more than that.
I would guess he plays both at the 4 and 5. I really don't think Clingan will be ready to play Big East level defense once conference play starts. Johnson needs to get stronger. Most of his defensive issues came while playing the 5 last year.

Reaction Score
If Johnson doesn't see the court then this is a recruiting L for Hurley and company. With the portal the way it is players that don't see the court after 2 years enter it.

This article is just Shreyas opinion, I don't think they see him as Sanogos backup. If they are only playing him at the 5 then they are wasting his talent.
yeah i don't like the sound of that either.

According to the article, "if [samson] can limit his mistakes, he could challenge Clingan for the opportunity to back up Sanogo" but, "Hurley anticipates Clingan playing a backup role to Sanogo" which is also "a role that Clingan expects."

if true i'm not sure where that would leave samson besides sitting next to springs on the bench and looking for a new team next summer. recruiting four guys that can only function as a C in the offense (sanogo/clingan/samson/springs) would be a big roster construction mistake.

but the article also says samson can run the floor and even pop a 3 so i dont see why he cant also get time at the 4 when we play big. i highly doubt AJ and karaban will be the only guys that play PF for us next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a feeling he will be playing the 4 and 5 as well depending on the matchups. For instance, I could Sampson playing a lot of 5 versus Creighton and Providence but less so versus Nova.

Reaction Score
I’d be willing to bet AJax js the starting 4 on opening night. Johnson will still see 18-21 mpg as he can backup Sanogo and Jackson imo. We have ALOT of versatilit. Minutes and lineups are going to be a game by game, matchup by matchup decision. Karaban, Newton, Ajax, Allyen, Hawkins can all play multiple positions. Those who are the best will play

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
yeah i don't like the sound of that either.

According to the article, "if [samson] can limit his mistakes, he could challenge Clingan for the opportunity to back up Sanogo" but, "Hurley anticipates Clingan playing a backup role to Sanogo" which is also "a role that Clingan expects."

if true i'm not sure where that would leave samson besides sitting next to springs on the bench and looking for a new team next summer. recruiting four guys that can only function as a C in the offense (sanogo/clingan/samson/springs) would be a big roster construction mistake.

but the article also says samson can run the floor and even pop a 3 so i dont see why he cant also get time at the 4 when we play big. i highly doubt AJ and karaban will be the only guys that play PF for us next season.
Yeah but that’s just press hyperbole. If Johnson, a sophomore, can limit his mistakes, he may play over a guy who’s never played against competition remotely like what he will see. I expect Clingan to be a lot more mistake prone between the two of them. They are trying to create drama.

My guess is Johnson gets more minutes at the 4 than anybody else. Even if it is spread between him, AJ, Karaban and Springs.

Reaction Score

If, as the article says, Clingan is ready to be getting the 5-15 MPG backup role, THAT is a recruiting win. A much bigger recruiting win than Johnson possibly playing is as a loss. I don't think anyone expected any significant minutes for Donovan this year.

Kids leave--accept it. If Johnson isn't good enough to play, he isn't good enough to play and SHOULD transfer.. Same is true for every other player.

The game has changed. We need to stop thinking of transfers as a bad thing. It's a good thing for our former players to go somewhere they can get PT and play the game they love. Every person that left this year (sans CFJ) was someone who wasn't going to play, and gave us an opportunity to pursue more talented players.

Reaction Score
Yeah but that’s just press hyperbole. If Johnson, a sophomore, can limit his mistakes, he may play over a guy who’s never played against competition remotely like what he will see. I expect Clingan to be a lot more mistake prone between the two of them. They are trying to create drama.

My guess is Johnson gets more minutes at the 4 than anybody else. Even if it is spread between him, AJ, Karaban and Springs.

No inside info, but having watched all these players in HS, I really do think Karaban will be a starter. He's much more skilled on both ends of the floor than Johnson--he just doesn't have the same level of athleticism. I like our ability to change matchups with those two though--they're completely different players. We can throw different looks at our opponents based on our needs.

Reaction Score
AJ will never see time at shooting guard on this team. You need solid scoring from that position and he is not that guy. Even at small forward there is the same issue. I predict he will see most of his time at power forward. He is undersized for that position but can jump, is strong and is a great rebounder. Plus you don't need a lot of scoring at the 4.

Reaction Score
If, as the article says, Clingan is ready to be getting the 5-15 MPG backup role, THAT is a recruiting win. A much bigger recruiting win than Johnson possibly playing is as a loss. I don't think anyone expected any significant minutes for Donovan this year.

Kids leave--accept it. If Johnson isn't good enough to play, he isn't good enough to play and SHOULD transfer.. Same is true for every other player.

The game has changed. We need to stop thinking of transfers as a bad thing. It's a good thing for our former players to go somewhere they can get PT and play the game they love. Every person that left this year (sans CFJ) was someone who wasn't going to play, and gave us an opportunity to pursue more talented players.
I understand all about transfers, I'm talking Johnson specifically. Spending time to recruit Johnson hard over others, speak extremely high of him (wall potential) numerous times, then not playing him and saying as you said "not good enough to play" is an L imo.

Reaction Score
AJ will never see time at shooting guard on this team. You need solid scoring from that position and he is not that guy. Even at small forward there is the same issue. I predict he will see most of his time at power forward. He is undersized for that position but can jump, is strong and is a great rebounder. Plus you don't need a lot of scoring at the 4.

2-4 are basically the same position in our system. There is no "shooting guard"--just wings.

Reaction Score
I understand all about transfers, I'm talking Johnson specifically. Spending time to recruit Johnson hard over others, speak extremely high of him (wall potential) numerous times, then not playing him and saying as you said "not good enough to play" is an L imo.
I may be misremembering but Johnson never set foot on campus or met Coach Hurley until he arrived for enrollment. i still think Samson will be a good player but his recruitment was unusual do to Covid restrictions

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No inside info, but having watched all these players in HS, I really do think Karaban will be a starter. He's much more skilled on both ends of the floor than Johnson--he just doesn't have the same level of athleticism. I like our ability to change matchups with those two though--they're completely different players. We can throw different looks at our opponents based on our needs.
I see Johnson as a flex 4-5 and Karaban as a 3-4. It will be interesting to see who gets what time. I'm hoping they both play quite a bit. I'd be very surprised if Clingan is a better backup 5 right now than Johnson. That's the part if the article I was referencing. Criticizing Johnson's mistakes and suggesting that they limit his ability to beat out a Freshman who played weak HS competition isn't a logical position to take. Between them, I'd expect Clingan to make a lot more mistakes.

Reaction Score
I see Johnson as a flex 4-5 and Karaban as a 3-4. It will be interesting to see who gets what time. I'm hoping they both play quite a bit. I'd be very surprised if Clingan is a better backup 5 right now than Johnson. That's the part if the article I was referencing. Criticizing Johnson's mistakes and suggesting that they limit his ability to beat out a Freshman who played weak HS competition isn't a logical position to take. Between them, I'd expect Clingan to make a lot more mistakes.
Johnson, Clingan, and Karaban will all get minutes early on. It’s up to them to show and prove they deserve minutes once our cupcake schedule is over.

Reaction Score
agreed no one is guaranteed PT but the recruiting loss would be taking 3 guys that are all limited to playing the C position in our offense. if samson is third string C so be it, but if he can't get any PT at PF either b/c of his fit in the offense then i think that's poor roster construction. i'm not even including springs in this discussion but he would be a 4th C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom