Administration. | The Boneyard

Administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
What does everybody think about Manuel and Herbst? More specifically what do you think about them and the future of the hoops team?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
As a current student, my opinion goes as follows. For Manuel, still too soon to fully judge on his capacity to be a good AD that will move the sports programs forward, yet his decision to give KO a 1 year contract wasn't the wisest decision in my mind, for recruiting reasons. As for Herbst, I like how she is in the public eye much more than Hogan and handles the attention well. Also, Herbst seems to be very aware of UConn's presence as a major sports program and makes her policy decisions accordingly. I will say this though (although somewhat unrelated to sports), Herbst has handled the whole Spring Weekend and UConn nightlife situation very unfavorably (unfavorable to the students, yet obviously favorable for administration), the police presence on campus has gotten out of hand as of late. Just my .02.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
As much as I enjoyed the drunken free for alls in college, Spring Weekend is an out in the open underage drinking phenomenon that doesn't exist at other major universities and hasn't for many years.

Oh, there is partying handled with a wink and a nod, but nothing that comes close to what went on in the X lot or the Carriages. Certainly not with police standing guard.

I know that would seem stupid to a current student but that's the truth.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Manuel and Herbst

Manuel - a premier CYA type of guy. What the hell is he thining??

Herbst - the CEO. Dropped the ball migrating UConn to the ACC. As a Duke grad, no connections in th ACC?? How did she get the job again??

Reaction Score
Herbst - the CEO. Dropped the ball migrating UConn to the ACC. As a Duke grad, no connections in th ACC?? How did she get the job again??

You have zero idea what went on and what Herbst could have and couldn't have controlled. Of course that will not prevent you from making statements like this, but I figured it was worth pointing out.

Reaction Score
Manuel and Herbst

Manuel - a premier CYA type of guy. What the hell is he thining??

Wow...you must have great connections! Either that...or you have such amazing insight in such a brief period! So I presume Herbst should have called in her Duke chips and shazam ...we'd be in the ACC. I guess the memo didn't find it's way onto Flipper's desk though...or the others who voted no.

As for Manuel...if he was a CYA guy..he would NOT have given Ollie the chance to coach the team. With UConn's standing in the basketball world, a full and complete search for a new coach would not have been a surprise at all. It also would have been THE CYA move you alluded to. Instead...he's giving the guy a chance...one in which Ollie has supreme confidence in his abilities to be a successful one. Manuel's hire...is far from CYA!!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Incomplete on both but I like what I've seen so far. Both were not given the best of transitions.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Okay so I've heard of this plan, call it a conspiracy theory if you will.

Conspiracy Theory:

"I've heard that by giving Ollie a 1-year deal the administration wants him to fail, so they can hire a new coach. Calhoun retired at the worst possible time (from an administration's standpoint) because they could not conduct a national search for a coach. Calhoun wanted Ollie and that's what he made happen, the administration had no other choice but to make Ollie the HC. With the 1 year deal it pretty much screws the program for top tier recruits. Don't be upset if Ollie gets canned in the spring and then we get somebody from the outside.

With the hiring of Paul Pasqualoni, that was a clear sign that the administration does not care about the football program. We conducted a national search and had a couple really good candidates, so when Paully P got hired, it held the football program back. They are probably going to do the same thing for basketball. There has been too much trouble for the major sports teams at UConn recently, (on-campus murder, drug problems, theft, illegal recruiting, etc) and that has a detriment on the reputation of UConn big time. We all know the University of Connecticut is a top 15 public school (in the country) and the best public school in the northeast. So when all these problems attract negative reputation, it hurts. Fundraisers and other financial supporters do not want to give money to a school that has a bad academic reputation. So I've heard of speculation that Herbst (a Duke grad) and Manuel are out to knock the athletic department down a notch, back to what is was in the mid-90's or 80's, and subsequently ward away trouble for the school, athletic dept, etc."

I hope this doesn't happen, but it makes sense to me. I'd rather have the basketball/football programs prosper at their own accord.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
"So I've heard of speculation that Herbst (a Duke grad) and Manuel are out to knock the athletic department down a notch, back to what is was in the mid-90's or 80's, and subsequently ward away trouble for the school, athletic dept, etc."

I hope this doesn't happen, but it makes sense to me. I'd rather have the basketball/football programs prosper at their own accord.

I've got some alien meat from Roswell to sell you if you believe this is true. PM me.

Reaction Score

Conspiracy Theory:

"I've heard that by giving Ollie a 1-year deal the administration wants him to fail, so they can hire a new coach. Calhoun retired at the worst possible time (from an administration's standpoint) because they could not conduct a national search for a coach. Calhoun wanted Ollie and that's what he made happen, the administration had no other choice but to make Ollie the HC. With the 1 year deal it pretty much screws the program for top tier recruits. Don't be upset if Ollie gets canned in the spring and then we get somebody from the outside.

With the hiring of Paul Pasqualoni, that was a clear sign that the administration does not care about the football program. We conducted a national search and had a couple really good candidates, so when Paully P got hired, it held the football program back. They are probably going to do the same thing for basketball. There has been too much trouble for the major sports teams at UConn recently, (on-campus murder, drug problems, theft, illegal recruiting, etc) and that has a detriment on the reputation of UConn big time. We all know the University of Connecticut is a top 15 public school (in the country) and the best public school in the northeast. So when all these problems attract negative reputation, it hurts. Fundraisers and other financial supporters do not want to give money to a school that has a bad academic reputation. So I've heard of speculation that Herbst (a Duke grad) and Manuel are out to knock the athletic department down a notch, back to what is was in the mid-90's or 80's, and subsequently ward away trouble for the school, athletic dept, etc."

Right. Warde Manuel, Uconn Athletic Director, is out to make sure that Uconn's athletic department goes backwards. And surely President Herbst has no interest in the money and exposure that comes with having a successful athletic program.

You're really dropping some great knowledge on us today.

Reaction Score
I've got some alien meat from Roswell to sell you if you believe this is true. PM me.

Alien meat from Roswell seems more believable. Hell, throw Bigfoot, Santa Clause, and the Tooth Fairy in there for good measure.

Reaction Score

Conspiracy Theory:

Delusional...

Oh - by any chance are you a student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member