Adjustments | The Boneyard

Adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Great win today. Solid performance all around. People could hand out game balls to a bunch of people today and they would all be correct choices.

My game ball? To the coaching staff.

They were more aggressive in the vertical game. They made the switch finally to a nickel package. They mixed in the blitz, even on 3rd and long. They got the playmakers in positions for them to make a difference, so that even our turnovers didn't stop us from succeeding.

Adjustments. Well done, coaching staff...

Reaction Score
I think it was huge that they figured out that safety spot opposite of Obi was killing us. Putting Jamar there so Green could play corner and John Robinson moved up in to the Nickel was good. I happen to think they do a good job with defensive adjustments. They have done so against Navy and UVA in game. SU killed us with that one WR and I think that safety spot was taking a toll on the other DBs.

I like the idea of letting other guys on the roster show whether they could produce if the guys in the games aren't getting it done.

Now about the clock managment...

Reaction Score
Would never have thought after the first 29 minutes that we would play so well the rest of the way. Props to the D for bending but not breaking (allowed 3 FGs instead of TDs - that was huge). Once Shirreffs hit Beals on that long TD it was a different game. Well played after that on both sides of the ball. Our best win so far this year and the season's very much alive for a bowl bid.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was going to start a thread on this. Glad someone beat me to it.

I was listening to the game on radio; I heard about Thompson starting due to Newsome's indiscretion and Johnson not having a good week of practice. That was a big time coaching move by the staff; all the players will take notice of it.

I don't remember hearing anything about moving Summers to safety. When I heard Green was starting I assumed it was opposite Summers. That really shores up the back line of the D and allows the staff to be more aggressive with the front 7. It's a cascading effect in a positive way. Finally, going on the theme of putting your top 11 on the field, they're going to have to figure out how to put Levenberry in there- He's a play maker and makes offenses jittery.

Reaction Score
I think it was huge that they figured out that safety spot opposite of Obi was killing us. Putting Jamar there so Green could play corner and John Robinson moved up in to the Nickel was good. I happen to think they do a good job with defensive adjustments. They have done so against Navy and UVA in game. SU killed us with that one WR and I think that safety spot was taking a toll on the other DBs.

I like the idea of letting other guys on the roster show whether they could produce if the guys in the games aren't getting it done.

Now about the clock managment...

We would have beaten Cuse with that scheme.

Reaction Score
The one problem I still had all day yesterday was that the corners were playing 8 to 12 yards off the WR all day long. Hence, we were getting killed on the 5-10 yards passes to the sidelines. The corners need to be play 1 to 2 yrds off the WR and hit them hard as they try to come off the line. Our corners have the speed to keep up with the WR but not sure they've been coached to play this aggressive style of play. They tend to play soft and try to protect against the long pass. So how's that working??? Not so well as in the past games we've been burned on both long and short.

Reaction Score
The one problem I still had all day yesterday was that the corners were playing 8 to 12 yards off the WR all day long. Hence, we were getting killed on the 5-10 yards passes to the sidelines. The corners need to be play 1 to 2 yrds off the WR and hit them hard as they try to come off the line. Our corners have the speed to keep up with the WR but not sure they've been coached to play this aggressive style of play. They tend to play soft and try to protect against the long pass. So how's that working??? Not so well as in the past games we've been burned on both long and short.
Probably a result of the poor safety play. Why risk playing bump and run if you know you can't count on help over the top?

Reaction Score
Probably a result of the poor safety play. Why risk playing bump and run if you know you can't count on help over the top?
Good point!! But this has always been UConn secondary strategy. Give up the short pass and its killing us repeatedly, year after year. If the safety position is the issue it should have been fine last year. We sent one of our best to the NFL yet we still played soft. I just think its Diaco's philosophy and I disagree with it.

Reaction Score
I was going to start a thread on this. Glad someone beat me to it.

I was listening to the game on radio; I heard about Thompson starting due to Newsome's indiscretion and Johnson not having a good week of practice. That was a big time coaching move by the staff; all the players will take notice of it.

I don't remember hearing anything about moving Summers to safety. When I heard Green was starting I assumed it was opposite Summers. That really shores up the back line of the D and allows the staff to be more aggressive with the front 7. It's a cascading effect in a positive way. Finally, going on the theme of putting your top 11 on the field, they're going to have to figure out how to put Levenberry in there- He's a play maker and makes offenses jittery.
Does anyone think that Levenberry could play a little defensive end during passing downs? I know he's an inside LB, but with his size and speed, he could probably generate a pass rush. Maybe I'm off base? Just a thought.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Good point!! But this has always been UConn secondary strategy. Give up the short pass and its killing us repeatedly, year after year. If the safety position is the issue it should have been fine last year. We sent one of our best to the NFL yet we still played soft. I just think its Diaco's philosophy and I disagree with it.
it's part of his overall philosophy of shortening the games; he's working clock on both sides of the ball... That is ultimately a levelling strategy for weak teams to employ against perceived stronger teams. The question I have is will he recognize the tipping point when that strategy is no longer keeping us close, it's keeping the other guys close. Maine is the perfect example.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think that Levenberry could play a little defensive end during passing downs? I know he's an inside LB, but with his size and speed, he could probably generate a pass rush. Maybe I'm off base? Just a thought.
Love to see them try it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I think the coaches have to figure how to get EJ in to the game more often. The who/how/when is up to the coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom