Adding "marquee" game back to schedule? | The Boneyard

Adding "marquee" game back to schedule?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I saw it randomly posted in the Bouknight / Jackson thread by TCF but not much follow-up on it.

“There’s been some conversation about adding one, adding a marquee game back,” Hurley said. “Right now, we’re talking to the league about that possibility.”

I'm curious what it means. Are we talking about rescheduling a postponed conference game or getting a high profile OOC game? I assumed the Big East was already trying to reschedule conference games and wouldn't need to request it / clear it by the conference.

Reaction Score
We already filled in a weeknight game into the two original empty weekday slots.
The postponed Jan. 15th Nova game got moved to Jan 28, which got postponed/cancelled again.
And the Dec. 13th Gtown game got recheduled for 2/24.
So, right now, the rest of the way, there's a weekend game and a weekday game every week.
I would think we would only try to squeeze in another game if it was really top level. (Nova).

Reaction Score
Reading the Courant article today it definitely is a conference game. And if they're talking a "marquee game" the only team that could be is Villanova. So my guess is they're trying to make sure UConn and Villanova play twice.

The Huskies latest suspension of play was due to a positive COVID-19 test among the officials working their game against Butler on Jan. 26. They were able to get back to work full bore on Monday. Meanwhile, two more games were postponed, and the schedule is very tight between now and the Big East Tournament, with little room to make up all three of the conference games lost. But UConn has played fewer games than any Big East team except DePaul, and the conference would like to prioritize makeup games for teams that haven’t played as many as others.

“There’s been some conversation about adding one, trying to add a marquee game back,” Hurley said. “It would make things incredibly tight for us, and would put us in a situation you would rarely see a college team in. But selfishly, to get a quad 1 [opponent] chance would be really nice for us. We aspire to play in the NCAA Tournament, so squeezing in a quad 1 game would be appealing, we just have to balance out player welfare and not run these guys into the ground.”

Villanova, Xavier and St. John’s are the opponents UConn missed. After Saturday’s game, UConn plays at Providence and Xavier, at home against Providence and at Villanova, so a lot more will be known about where this season is headed by Feb. 20.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
St John’s isn’t playing next Saturday, and I’d assume our game against Xavier is in jeopardy given their Covid case this week (still on as of now but have to monitor the situation), so they could be a natural fit for a make up next weekend.

Hopefully we can also get in that dang Nova make-up game!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom