Add 'em up | The Boneyard

Add 'em up

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nurse + Chong + Stokes = 2 pts. I'm a little concerned.
Why? Look at literally every other team in WCBB. They have MAYBE 3 players who consistently score double digits. UCONN has 5 who have averaged that all season, and one who is at about 9 PPG. Was it a great game for Nurse, Stokes, or Chong? No. But if you were to tell me that we actually NEEDED a ton of production from all 3 to win the NC, then I'D be worried! ;)

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Fortunately KML + Mo + Stewart + Tuck = 76 points :confused:

Yeah I'd be pretty concerned if Stewie had 50 and KML had 26 and everybody else didn't score.
But to have a Freshman and 2 bench players not score is not a big deal on this team.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your concern. Geno has two weeks to address your specific concerns. I am sure he will change everything to make you have less concerns....

Reaction Score
KML, Stewart and Mo all played 40 minutes. Haven't seen that in a while.

Stokes only got 5 minutes, Nurse only 14. Chong 18, Gabby 15, Ek 1 min.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Thank you for your concern. Geno has two weeks to address your specific concerns. I am sure he will change everything to make you have less concerns....
I certainly hope so!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Why? Look at literally every other team in WCBB. They have MAYBE 3 players who consistently score double digits. UCONN has 5 who have averaged that all season, and one who is at about 9 PPG. Was it a great game for Nurse, Stokes, or Chong? No. But if you were to tell me that we actually NEEDED a ton of production from all 3 to win the NC, then I'D be worried! ;)
Season stats are meaningless since most of the games were against token opposition. Once you get to the Sweet Sixteen in the Tournament, you are dealing with a different class of competition. So, look at the stats in games against the top sixteen teams.

Reaction Score
Those 3 took 6 shots. All of them, especially Chong, are really into "pass first" at this point in the season. I wish they weren't. The 4 scorers , for the most part, are looking for each other. Even Gabby should be taking more shots. She got great position a couple of times down low, and the same player seemed to ignore her both times. But it isn't going to change at this point, and I guess it won't matter anyway.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It is now Tourney time, and we start with new stat realities. After the first game against a completely overmatched opponent, UConn will play a core unit of 8 to 9 players for 99% of the minutes, with this year 4 of them averaging around 35 minutes and doing 95% of the scoring. Kia will probably get pretty much an even split of the minutes as the second guard with Saniya, but circumstances could change in the next few weeks. For both Nurse and Chong, assists and defense will be the first priority, and an occasional 3 or layup will be wavy gravy.

This year is similar to others where the Huskies are the favorite for the title. Last year it is true that it was 5 starters combining to score 364 of the 384 points in the last 5 games, or 95% of the scoring at an average of 14 ppg apiece, but if this year its four players sharing most of the scoring chores, I assume that Stewie, KLM, Tuck, and MoJeff won't be traumatized if they are asked to chip in for 18 ppg apiece. Seems doable with that 35 mpg they'll be getting now.

Reaction Score
Nurse seems to have hit a little wall and Chong's shot has been off a tad after she went on that torrid streak a coupe weeks ago. I don't worry much about Kiah's scoring due to her ability to prevent scoring on the defensive end.

I think with this little layoff before the "show", Nurse and Chong will recharge and be ready to put some points on the board.

Reaction Score
no concern ...the strategy was to pound the paint and that leaves Nurse/Chong a lesser part of the offense....when we play a taller opponent Nurse/Chong will look for more scoring opportunities

Reaction Score
Actually, I got concerned in the game before last, when it seemed that there were no subs coming in at all. I am sure this is part of a strategy to get the first five ready for the NCAA crunch. I don't know if there's a cause/effect thing going on here -- five tired players = less second-half performance -- or what, but you could make a case that liberally subbing Stokes/Chong/Williams has gotten them pretty far and it's not necessarily a good idea to change now.

And yes, I know....Geno is the best coach in the country (I agree !!), so he knows what he's doing. But it's fair to raise the question, especially after that less-than-stellar second half against South Florida, which fields a really good team that, still, UConn should be able to handle in the first half or the second..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom