ADB on Ollie | The Boneyard

ADB on Ollie

Reaction Score
Who are the basketball boosters that we know about? The only two I know of are Melio and Skinner. IIRC Ray Allen has donated before, too.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
At this point part of me is like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe giving him one more year so we can get Akinjo in the door and avoid a mass exodus at the same time Adams and Larrier are most likely leaving isn't the worst thing. It's not like we are going to change conferences by next season. Worst case scenario we suck again. We have dealt with 4 years of mediocre results is what is one more at this point? It is not going to kill the program.

The other part of me recognizes UConn basketball is dead and we will never finish above 8th place in the American again.

Reaction Score
At this point part of me is like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe giving him one more year so we can get Akinjo in the door and avoid a mass exodus at the same time Adams and Larrier are most likely leaving isn't the worst thing. It's not like we are going to change conferences by next season. Worst case scenario we suck again. We have dealt with 4 years of mediocre results is what is one more at this point? It is not going to kill the program.

The other part of me recognizes UConn basketball is dead and we will never finish above 8th place in the American again.

We're not going to realize UConn basketball is dead until it's already happened.

I don't think we're dead yet, but we can see the train a-comin' and we've tied ourselves to the tracks.

I like Akinjo as much as the next guy, but he's not worth risking the future of the entire program.

Reaction Score
Who are the basketball boosters that we know about? The only two I know of are Melio and Skinner. IIRC Ray Allen has donated before, too.
There are a few people in Fairfield County but not enough.

Reaction Score
We're not going to realize UConn basketball is dead until it's already happened.

I don't think we're dead yet, but we can see the train a-comin' and we've tied ourselves to the tracks.

I like Akinjo as much as the next guy, but he's not worth risking the future of the entire program.
It's insane people are even entertaining keeping a coach because of a player ranked 90-something in the country.

Reaction Score

We need a rebuild ASAP. Delaying it further, if we have the option not to, just continues to hurt us. If we were in the ACC or B1G it wouldn't matter nearly as much

Reaction Score
It's insane people are even entertaining keeping a coach because of a player ranked 90-something in the country.

Update: we've tied ourselves to the tracks... and we're whistling "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah"

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That's big because if that's actually true we're screwed

So those 10 donors who support him will have to go to every game and get extra loud to make up for the 10,000 fans who won't be there.

Considering the groundswell to run KO out if town why cry about other people not being willing to foot the bill to cover KO's buyout?

If there are so many of you, if each one would chip in, the buyout would be covered. That is if you really cared about UConn basketball.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

We need a rebuild ASAP. Delaying it further, if we have the option not to, just continues to hurt us. If we were in the ACC or B1G it wouldn't matter nearly as much

It will all depend on hiring the right person. Another year will not make much difference in that regard unless that coach is available now and not later. If the right coach is not available I don't see the point in making the situation worse simply to make a change. A bad hire would create more problems than one more year of Ollie.

Reaction Score
Aren't they financially invested? And somewhat forced to bide time, hoping . . . . . . . . . .

Reaction Score
If more identities of the boosters are revealed, this is not going to end well.

Some crazies from the BY will likely stalk these guys.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
John...its not just him. Its everyone. Let me ask you a serious question. Who is on the roster next yr if Ollie is fired?

Assume Jalen and Terry are gone for sure. Akinjo as well and probably Matthews. You know some of the current roster would be gone as well. Gilbert? Vital? Best case scenario is Gilbert and Vital stay. Do you see something different happening?

The next coach would have no time to recruit and less returning talent. This would be a nightmare.

Reaction Score
Nothing too big.

Most "news-worthy" part is they say the boosters they've spoken to are still in Ollie's corner.

The Kevin Ollie Decision - A Dime Back
The dubious conclusion of the article certainly leads me to question the entire thing. It concludes that IF UConn hires an outsider he will be successful and leave, therefore we should retain Ollie who will stay because he went to UConn.
A. Yada-yada'd the part where UConn is successful again - any chance of analyzing the odds of that in the Ollie scenario? Isn't the success enough anyway! Wouldn't UConn be able to get another coach if the team is successful?
B. Why assume a coach would leave, sure if you say Duke or Kentucky or UCLA it sounds defacto a coach leaves, but those jobs aren't opening and filling them will be ultra competitive. Back to #1, new coach would probably have to win the national championship at UConn to win the Dook job. Its a stupid, fake scenario, but obvsiously we'd take it.
C. Stuff about keeping players and recruits is insane, we lost 3 players last year, today its a preponderance of evidence of that re-occurring vs stopping the bleeding and as others mention these aren't yet players to prioritize everything for. Maybe with a better coach they would be. Have the best program & coach first, then getting and retaining quality players follows.
D. So the Money is the only valid point in the argument/article. Not exactly news & been debated here at length. We need our fairy godfather to save us.
E. Over-use of -bomb for a dramatic effect that is not achieved. National Championship needs no modifier and the alleged jackpot doesn't seem any more real or possible just cuz you can curse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom