ADB: OF COURSE UCONN IS TRYING TO GET INTO A P5 | The Boneyard

ADB: OF COURSE UCONN IS TRYING TO GET INTO A P5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A Dime Back with a level-headed, intelligent response to Mr. McGuire's absurd post this AM:

http://adimeback.com/of-course-uconn-is-trying-to-get-into-a-p5/

Here's a key graph:

What we know: Former Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese is under contract to advise President Susan Herbst on all athletic matters. We’ve looked through UConn’s active contracts, and Tranghese’s isn’t there, presumably because he’s being paid by the UConn Foundation. [Editor’s note: A Dime Back has submitted its own Freedom of Information request on the subject] Tranghese has his own firm, MT Consulting, and any documents produced or in the control of the firm that did not end up in the control of UConn are not FOI-able. So any emails sent by Tranghese that don’t go to or from a uconn.edu or ct.gov address would not be subject to disclosure. Any communication done by or through the UConn Foundation, which is a private, non-profit entity, is also not FOI-able. Emails sent from personal accounts are also not FOI-able unless they are done so by state employees regarding state business.

Reaction Score
A Dime Back with a level-headed, intelligent response to Mr. McGuire's absurd post this AM:

http://adimeback.com/of-course-uconn-is-trying-to-get-into-a-p5/

Here's a key graph:

What we know: Former Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese is under contract to advise President Susan Herbst on all athletic matters. We’ve looked through UConn’s active contracts, and Tranghese’s isn’t there, presumably because he’s being paid by the UConn Foundation. [Editor’s note: A Dime Back has submitted its own Freedom of Information request on the subject] Tranghese has his own firm, MT Consulting, and any documents produced or in the control of the firm that did not end up in the control of UConn are not FOI-able. So any emails sent by Tranghese that don’t go to or from a uconn.edu or ct.gov address would not be subject to disclosure. Any communication done by or through the UConn Foundation, which is a private, non-profit entity, is also not FOI-able. Emails sent from personal accounts are also not FOI-able unless they are done so by state employees regarding state business.
Saw that too so I should delete my post.

By this point every President and AD of every Division 1 school knows the players and the score. We are merely bystanders and I am 100% certain UConn is taking every opportunity to move forward despite what is reported.

Reaction Score
The people at UCONN learned from the last go round with the ACC and Louisville. I am not surprised in the least that they learned to not leave a paper trail that can leave them wiping egg off their face.

Reaction Score
Saw that too so I should delete my post.

By this point every President and AD of every Division 1 school knows the players and the score. We are merely bystanders and I am 100% certain UConn is taking every opportunity to move forward despite what is reported.

I'm more encouraged than concern by the silence.

Yesterday Jacobs wrote: "Obviously, the school is not communicating about realignment via official email, etc. Yet only a fool would believe UConn hasn't engaged the Big 12 and other conferences in some other ways."

Clearly this morning we found ourselves the fool.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I wonder if UConn told the Courant "we have stuff but if you want to enjoy the benefits of your media credentials when we are accepted into a P5, you need to keep it hush. You'll get the docs when we get in and can break the story but until then don't bother us." And the Courant said they got nothing. They will get the first chance to break the story when it happens but for now UConn told them to shut up. They never actually showed the email they got back. Jacobs just summarized it.

That's my conspiracy kitty theory for the day.

Reaction Score
I wonder if UConn told the Courant "we have stuff but if you want to enjoy the benefits of your media credentials when we are accepted into a P5, you need to keep it hush. You'll get the docs when we get in and can break the story but until then don't bother us." And the Courant said they got nothing. They will get the first chance to break the story when it happens but for now UConn told them to shut up. They never actually showed the email they got back. Jacobs just summarized it.

That's my conspiracy kitty theory for the day.

Nah, UConn wouldn't threaten the paper of record in CT like that, nor could they make good on that threat.

I'd be willing to bet it's exactly what ADB says it is: they aren't using the school to conduct conversations. My bet is that it's all going through the non-profit, private UConn Foundation.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
McGuire is trying to drive page views, and the Boneyard is lending a helping hand. I heard that his two article choices were the word vomit he posted, and an article claiming the Taliek Brown was not that good a point guard. He flipped a coin to decide.

Reaction Score
McGuire is trying to drive page views, and the Boneyard is lending a helping hand. I heard that his two article choices were the word vomit he posted, and an article claiming the Taliek Brown was not that good a point guard. He flipped a coin to decide.

Not lending a helping hand when they don't link to him. Did you click on the ADB link?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Either Jacobs pooped the bed on the FOIA request, or he deliberately structured it to make sure that it would come up empty. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure which it was. It may have been that they didn't want to have to pay for a huge document dump, so they narrowed it down and just went too far. On the other hand, I could see a behind the scenes conversation which said, play nice for the time being. We may never know which is correct.

Reaction Score
Either Jacobs pooped the bed on the FOIA request, or he deliberately structured it to make sure that it would come up empty. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure which it was. It may have been that they didn't want to have to pay for a huge document dump, so they narrowed it down and just went too far. On the other hand, I could see a behinds the scenes conversation which said, play nice for the time being. We may never know which is correct.

The more plausible explanation is simply that UConn is conducting the business through a third-party conduit who is not subject to FOIA requests, as laid out above.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The more plausible explanation is simply that UConn is conducting the business through a third-party conduit who is not subject to FOIA requests, as laid out above.
I agree that it is likely that's happening NYUConn, but how do you explain the ridiculously narrow timeframe for the FOIA request?

Reaction Score
I agree that it is likely that's happening NYUConn, but how do you explain the ridiculously narrow timeframe for the FOIA request?

When you think about everything that's happened with the NCAA conference championship vote, the Big 12 meetings etc. etc. it's all happened in the last 45 days or so. You can make the argument that if there were any smoking guns then they'd have come around that time.

Also possible he didn't go too far back because he wanted his FOIA request to be as relevant as possible. If he published something from 12 months ago people would scrutinize it as being old news and not relevant given recent events.

And finally to your point, there are fees associated with making FOIA requests and obtaining the documents that could have made the project cost prohibitive to go back so far.

Reaction Score
This was in the CT Post back in September 2013
http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article...ring-I-told-4857720.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop
This is the key part of the article..the last 3 paragraphs:

Burton gave both Manuel and Herbst a vote of confidence, but reiterated what he has said in the past: that UConn needs to be more aggressive in promoting itself to proven collegiate athletic leagues such as the Atlantic Coast Conference or Big Ten. This is the first season in the American Athletic Conference for UConn, a charter member of the Big East.

Now that Pasqualoni is out of the picture, Burton said he would donate money to UConn to hire a full-time person to promote the school's athletic programs to marquee conferences.

"That person should be out there selling the university and should be knowing every (athletic director)," Burton said. "UConn has a lot of opportunity here."

There has to be where the money to hire Tranghese is coming from...and since it is a donation that $ goes through the UConn Foundation.

Reaction Score
WqFJ0Dz.jpg

Susan is sending us signals! The Big XII will expand to 14 - UConn, Cinci, BYU, UCF.

Reaction Score
This was in the CT Post back in September 2013
http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article...ring-I-told-4857720.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop
This is the key part of the article..the last 3 paragraphs:

Burton gave both Manuel and Herbst a vote of confidence, but reiterated what he has said in the past: that UConn needs to be more aggressive in promoting itself to proven collegiate athletic leagues such as the Atlantic Coast Conference or Big Ten. This is the first season in the American Athletic Conference for UConn, a charter member of the Big East.

Now that Pasqualoni is out of the picture, Burton said he would donate money to UConn to hire a full-time person to promote the school's athletic programs to marquee conferences.

"That person should be out there selling the university and should be knowing every (athletic director)," Burton said. "UConn has a lot of opportunity here."

There has to be where the money to hire Tranghese is coming from...and since it is a donation that $ goes through the UConn Foundation.

UConn might learn from other states though. Eventually, the news media kicks up enough of a ruckus that politicians start feeling the heat, and even these private foundations become subject to media scrutiny and publicly released audits. This is the case in New York and Pennsylvania. They are not truly private foundations. They are affiliated with state institutions.

Reaction Score
UConn might learn from other states though. Eventually, the news media kicks up enough of a ruckus that politicians start feeling the heat, and even these private foundations become subject to media scrutiny and publicly released audits. This is the case in New York and Pennsylvania. They are not truly private foundations. They are affiliated with state institutions.
They tried make the UConn Foundation open to FOI requests and failed. I'm sure it will come up again at the Capitol next year.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I think all state officials should have private slush funds.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think all state officials should have private slush funds.

Who says they don't already....Most have PAC that are like slush funds which is taxpayer funded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom