Adamec: The MLK traditional game | The Boneyard

Adamec: The MLK traditional game

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/mlk-jr-day-tradition-returns-to-uconn-non-league-schedule/237444172

The link is to Carl's lengthy article on...among other things....the return of UConn playing a bigtime opponent
on MLK day. IMO...too bad the game this coming season is at Texas. Hopefully that MLK game will be in Ct. during the 2018-2019 season.

I have heard Geno often say that the atmosphere for the first of these games...against LadyVol in 1995...was THE best ever in Gampel. There were national-level sportswriters on press row for the match between 2 undefeated teams...the AP vote for the weekly rankings was delayed one day so the voters could take this game into account....cool!

I was fortunate enough to be there. Hmmm...the final was 77-66. I think it was 42-34 for the good guys at the half...I remember leaving where we were sitting and tracking down some UConn fan friends to hear that pretty much all of 'em were a weird combo of confident and apprehensive.

Reaction Score
https://www.sny.tv/UConn/news/mlk-jr-day-tradition-returns-to-UConn-non-league-schedule/237444172

The link is to Carl's lengthy article on...among other things....the return of UConn playing a bigtime opponent
on MLK day. IMO...too bad the game this coming season is at Texas. Hopefully that MLK game will be in Ct. during the 2018-2019 season.

I have heard Geno often say that the atmosphere for the first of these games...against LadyVol in 1995...was THE best ever in Gampel. There were national-level sportswriters on press row for the match between 2 undefeated teams...the AP vote for the weekly rankings was delayed one day so the voters could take this game into account....cool!

I was fortunate enough to be there. Hmmm...the final was 77-66. I think it was 42-34 for the good guys at the half...I remember leaving where we were sitting and tracking down some UConn fan friends to hear that pretty much all of 'em were a weird combo of confident and apprehensive.
It's good Geno is "paying back" the hand up Pat and Company gave him and his team--by playing Texas at texas.
Those games--UConn Vs Tn or Tn Vs Uconn --say what you want--those were fun games--and apprehensive games As A WBB College fan--they were great to see. Before I beg to get them going- I'll rely on Geno's good judgement when and where to play them--another new leaf.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
South Carolina would seem to be the natural "it" game this year. That could bloom into a nice little rivalry.

I guess a team can have two rivalries at the same time. Right now, Notre Dame is our main rival. They have been for years since the Tennessee program has taken a step or two back in recent years. The Irish don't care for us one bit. I think if they could only win one game on their schedule each year, it would be UConn. We are the one team that seems to "have their number". That's a situation I'm sure they'd like to rectify. It's a good bet they're sick and tired of losing to UConn the last 4 years. I believe the last time ND beat the Huskies was March 12, 2013 - 61-59.

I would welcome a good clean "spirited" rivalry with the Gamecocks. It would give each team something to look forward to every year. Staley does not appear to have any fear of UConn, and schedules us every year. These games are good not only for the fans, but the players too. I also like that these games have been scheduled in February, to break the monotony of AAC competition with a game against a top 5 opponent.

Reaction Score
South Carolina would seem to be the natural "it" game this year. That could bloom into a nice little rivalry.
Along with ND game --my thoughts these past few years was the U South Carolina was the most "dangerous" and apprehensive, entertaining game--all the factors for outstanding basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom