Adamec: Rebecca in Springfield on Friday | The Boneyard

Adamec: Rebecca in Springfield on Friday

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Lobo's contributions recognized with HOF enshrinement

Carl pretty much hits the nail on the head with why Rebecca deserves to get in the HOF despite modest pro numbers in an injury-shortened career.

Hmmm...wonder how many times Geno will be presenting future HOF'ers?

Dee and Sue are locks.
Give Tina maybe 3 more years at her current level and she is a lock.
Give Maya maybe 4 or 5 more and she is a lock.
Breanna down the road? Yes! Her college career by itself gets her in....imo.

4 rings...4 MVPs in the final 4...was it 4 first team AAs? POY maybe twice?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Carl pretty much hits the nail on the head with why Rebecca deserves to get in the HOF despite modest pro numbers in an injury-shortened career.

Dee and Sue are locks.

Stewie was an AA 3x. I think she won some NPOY awards as a sophomore.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Dee and Sue are locks.

Any chance they can give all the UConn HOF awards during the same year so Geno does not have to travel more than once? :D

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I've been thinking of RuthAnn Lobo over the past few days, about how incredibly proud she'd be of Rebecca getting into the Naismith Hall of Fame.

RuthAnn was a wonderful woman who made a difference in many kids' lives. She certainly did in my daughter's life. I don't think I've shared the story. Back in the Fall of 2007 my youngest was entering Granby High School and was assigned Mrs. Lobo as her guidance counselor. (RuthAnn was filling in that year for a counselor who was on maternity leave.) Liz really hit it off with her and would come home really enthusiastic about about her academics and extra-curricular options. I could tell that year how much Mrs. Lobo's support and guidance meant to Liz.

Fast forward to the Fall of 2010 and Liz' senior year. She's picked out several colleges that she is interested in. She comes home from her 'college discussion' meeting with her guidance counselor - the third different one she had and one with whom she didn't really click. Liz is crying (and this is my stoic child. She NEVER cries.) It seems the guidance counselor sent her the message that she was aiming too high in her post-high school choices and that she should be more realistic.

Now this was at a point in Liz' maturation process where her parents were not particularly smart, in her eyes. (We've gotten a lot smarter since then. :) ) Hence I knew that input from mom that her guidance counselor didn't know what she was talking about wouldn't go very far. Instead I quietly asked her "What would Mrs. Lobo say to you?" Liz' immediate answer was "She'd say to Go For It!!" And Liz did.

My Busy Miss Lizzy graduated from Smith College in 2015 and two weeks ago began her Masters Program at Duke University. And RuthAnn Lobo had a role in that process, one she never knew about but one for which I'll always be grateful.

Reaction Score
What a fantastic story, LesMis89. I hope Rebecca hears of it.

At some point, the HoF may have to have a special UConn WCBB wing. Certainly, at least a display.

BTW, it's an amazing place, very, very much worth the trip. Great for kids (to play ball on the ground floor) and terrific explanations in the "locker room" of each inductee's excellent and/or contribution to the game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Southwick to Springfield: A journey of 12 miles over 26 years that included trusting an unproven college coach, putting WCBB into the mainstream, laying the foundation for HuskyNation on the women's side, leading an undefeated national championship team, winning an Olympic Gold Medal, being a key figure in the birth of a new professional league, and evolving into the face of the sport.

An old Rebecca story: She played for the Liberty in her first few seasons. They started hot and won their first 8 games or so. Then, they experienced their first loss. Rebecca sat in the locker room crying. Her veteran teammates wondered what was going on. They had played in professional leagues around the world and lost several games per season. But not Rebecca. Her college team had gone 35-0. The senior USA team went 52-0 around the world in exhibition games and then ran the table in Atlanta, going 8-0. She started her pro career with 8 wins. She had a personal winning streak of 103 games that ran from March 1994 to July 1997, well over 3 years. Until Saniya, Kia, and Gabby got to 111 straight wins, Rebecca may have had the longest winning streak in history. Rebecca Lobo is a winner!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations Rebecca Lobo!! You are now a "Hall of Fame" inductee.

Congratulations Coach Geno Auriemma!! Not only are you a "Hall of Fame" inductee, but you now have a former player/student athlete. Job well done!!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Dang....the picture in the Springfield Republican today made Steve look 4 inches taller than Rebecca...here they look about the same.
I had...uhhh...'high' hopes for their oldest daughter. Heck...I still do...on and off the court.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dang....the picture in the Springfield Republican today made Steve look 4 inches taller than Rebecca...here they look about the same.
I had...uhhh...'high' hopes for their oldest daughter. Heck...I still do...on and off the court.
Mom and Dad are both about 6'5". I think Siobhan passed Geno in 5th grade.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Her kids were so excited and thrilled to watch and hear their mom... That was a truly wonderful thing to see... A real memory for them for all times...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom