Adamec:Megan Walker to decide.... | The Boneyard

Adamec:Megan Walker to decide....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The obligatory group photo of her last home visit (Texas) is on her twitter page. For a minute I'm seeing Orange and saying WT*! They have to be pretty sick of the process by now. The choice has to come down to intangibles.

Reaction Score
I'm kinda hoping Walker changes her mind again and decides not to sign a NLI and drag her decision out until spring.
Just so the posters insisting on parsing her every thought real-time on social media have something to do to occupy their time :p

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Good for Megan! I think she and her family are going about this in the right way, and I disagree with those who say that she has made it a spectacle or that she is taking too long. Anyone with three great choices for a momentous life decision SHOULD take a long time to decide, and should do it systematically rather than as an emotional reaction to a single weekend.

I think this indicates that whoever lands her will get a player who is not only physically skilled, but also emotionally mature and able to make good decisions on and off the court without getting overly distracted by surrounding hoopla.

UConn will get her if that is where she belongs. If she goes elsewhere, then that is where she belonged anyway.

Reaction Score
I think taking her time to make the most important decision in her life up to this point is very smart and the right way. But the part with the social media aspect is a sign that it is all about her and that is why she will not pick Connecticut.

Reaction Score
I think taking her time to make the most important decision in her life up to this point is very smart and the right way. But the part with the social media aspect is a sign that it is all about her and that is why she will not pick Connecticut.
Not so sure about that. Here's my take (FWIW, which isn't much, because I'm not really invested in this):
She took 2 trips to UConn on her own dime, which suggests to me that she knows that's the place to go to maximize her chances of being the best player possible (I didn't say she couldn't achieve that elsewhere, just that she thinks that's her best chance).
But: with AZ now on board and Napheesa and Lou, she would enter UConn with 3 extremely good and experienced wings ahead of her with 2 years of eligibility. AZ's transfer, therefore, is a new wrinkle in her outlook. Can UConn help her be the best player possible if she has to fight for playing time? Geno can say "yes", but she has to feel it, too. It's new information, and it's upset her long-range thinking.
So, I think UConn is in one, now complicated and problematic, camp, and TX and ND are in the other.

Reaction Score

You have one (among many) MW's thread here on the BY (a form of social media) with +75K view and people complaints about the social media aspect of a player.

Reaction Score
Not so sure about that. Here's my take (FWIW, which isn't much, because I'm not really invested in this):
She took 2 trips to UConn on her own dime, which suggests to me that she knows that's the place to go to maximize her chances of being the best player possible (I didn't say she couldn't achieve that elsewhere, just that she thinks that's her best chance).
But: with AZ now on board and Napheesa and Lou, she would enter UConn with 3 extremely good and experienced wings ahead of her with 2 years of eligibility. AZ's transfer, therefore, is a new wrinkle in her outlook. Can UConn help her be the best player possible if she has to fight for playing time? Geno can say "yes", but she has to feel it, too. It's new information, and it's upset her long-range thinking.
So, I think UConn is in one, now complicated and problematic, camp, and TX and ND are in the other.

Interesting analysis. I don't see Stevens as a wing at all. Lou played the 2 a fair amount last year. Collier the 3 or 4 ( I know, I'm using traditional labels). Walker would play the 2 or 3.
Imo, Walker would still see a fair amount of pt. Coombs and Gordon would be affected the most.

Reaction Score
You have one (among many) MW's thread here on the BY (a form of social media) with +75K view and people complaints about the social media aspect of a player.
I dont go on social media to promote myself. I go on FB maybe once every 2 months and I on 3 basketball blogs because it my favorite sport to play and coach. A blog is a place for discussion and opinions which a lot of people on here make references about subjects because of their experiences from playing and coaching competively. I have dealt with the recruiting process both ways and IMO as far as getting information for her decision for a school has been great! The social media aspect of this recruit is all about attention to herself. I could be wrong or I could be right but IMO she is not going to Uconn.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I dont go on social media to promote myself. I go on FB maybe once every 2 months and I on 3 basketball blogs because it my favorite sport to play and coach. A blog is a place for discussion and opinions which a lot of people on here make references about subjects because of their experiences from playing and coaching competively. I have dealt with the recruiting process both ways and IMO as far as getting information for her decision for a school has been great! The social media aspect of this recruit is all about attention to herself. I could be wrong or I could be right but IMO she is not going to Uconn.
and you're waiting on the decision just like everyone else... even tho you know where she's not going. Create another thread to steer our attention away from MKW

Reaction Score
Interesting analysis. I don't see Stevens as a wing at all. Lou played the 2 a fair amount last year. Collier the 3 or 4 ( I know, I'm using traditional labels). Walker would play the 2 or 3.
Imo, Walker would still see a fair amount of pt. Coombs and Gordon would be affected the most.
I can agree with and concede this on details. But I think AZ really plays all over, and especially from the 2 to the 4, and I guess structurally, she can see Lou, Napheesa, AZ, and Gabby playing everywhere but the 1 and 5, not to mention Coombs and Gordon among her own peers at the 3--not that that would intimate her: she'd have to have a strong ego going in anyway. Just that the things are getting packed in now with players with more experience. I agree she'd play a lot, but it may now be cause for her--just beginning her senior year in HS and only imagining all the huge changes in front of her; and suddenly her fixed image of where she fits may not be as firm anymore.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
64100414.jpg

HGN

Reaction Score
Bags, I think at 6'6 AZ is going to be a 4/5.....She might slide to the wing in certain sets or lineups to cause a mismatch. But in my mind she's a 5 that can play the 4. with the versatility to slide over to a 3 if the lineup calls for it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Adamec posted this yesterday afternoon. I read it right after he posted it. I'm surprised it took this long to find it's way into the Boneyard. Adamec's blog brings several thoughts to mind. First, we can now step further away from our monitors, since Keith Walker (Megan's father) has said that it may be next week before they will announce her decision. One poster facetiously commented that he hoped she would wait until the spring, thereby giving the 75,900+ viewers (to date) something to do until then. My guess is that only 5,000 - 8,000 fans ( it could be more/less) are viewing that thread on a daily basis. Some of them (me included) several times a day, to get the latest information out there in regards to Megan's decision.

This is a very slow period in the yard. The dog daze of summer. There's not a lot of stories or items of interest for us to discuss. Megan Walker is the #1 ranked player in the class of 2017, and the #1 player of interest on the Notre Dame Board, the Texas Board, as well as The Boneyard. There are posters like Reno Tony that are enjoying the MW craze:
It has been many decades since I cared that much about a 17 year old woman's decision. But I am enjoying reading all the hub-bub about Megan Walker. Please, carry on..
75,900+ hits on a thread proves that Tony is not alone. We do this every year here in the yard. Next year, we'll be pining over somebody else. Some of us are more interested than others when top ranked recruits are on the fence, and UConn has a chance of landing one of them. It all depends on the degree or depth of your investment in the UConn Women's Basketball program. The deeper the investment/involvement, the more concerned you are. Those on the fringe have little or no concern.

Because Geno and staff covet her, we do too. We follow and support Geno. Some of us are so caught up with the possibility of having Megan join our family, we have lost sight of the players we are ready have on campus, and those that have committed to come. Will having Walker enhance UConn's chances of winning several more national championships? Most UConn/WCBB fans think so. Geno's position towards any recruit is "we will win with, or without you".

There are posters that think UConn has a better than even chance of getting Walker, while others have said "No way!!. She's not coming". I have my own reasons for thinking Walker will wind up at UConn. But whether she does or not, UConn will still have a better than average chance of winning several more championships during Walker's four years in college.

Secondly...........UConn will get other recruits from future classes. If Walker chooses to go else where, UConn moves on. Just like they did when Elena Delle Donne, A'ja Wilson, Asia Durr, Arike Ogunbowale, Lauren Cox, Erin Boley, etc...., all coveted recruits that Geno really wanted, chose to go to other programs. Life goes on. The longer this Walker phenomenon drags on, it gives us time to pause and reflect, not on those who may come, but on those who are already here (or have verbaled). There are several other highly coveted recruits in the 2017 class and beyond that are on UConn's radar.

I'm agree with Geno. I expect UConn to win with or without Walker. The huskies have amassed a roster comprised of some extremely talented players (that want to be here) that are very capable of doing some great things. The jury is still out on the incoming freshmen as yet. How much help they can/will be this year, will be known by the Christmas break. UConn does not have to go undefeated to win the NC. No one expects them to do so.

All they have to do is get in the tournament (which is a given), then play their best basketball of the year, and win the final six games. They don't have to beat down, over whelm or blow out all of the top ranked opponents on their schedule this season. All they have to do is be ready to play their best basketball of the season come late March and early April. Geno and staff are masters at getting their teams ready for March madness. This year will be no different than years past, No team wants to be in UConn's region.

The general consensus is that UConn has fallen back just a bit towards the pack this season. That remains to be seen. Championships are not won on paper, and no one has played a game yet. We should have a much clearer idea of what kind of team UConn will be this year after the 5th non exhibition game. Games against Florida State, Baylor, LSU, Dayton & Chattanooga should provide a realistic barometer of the level of virility we can expect from the huskies this season.

So....in short, imo whether Walker chooses to come to Storrs or not, based on the players already on roster, and those that have committed to come, the future for the huskies appears to be very very bright. We ALL know from past history, it's not who you get (recruit), but how well you coach (teach/train) up the ones you do, and get them to play. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bags, I think at 6'6 AZ is going to be a 4/5.....She might slide to the wing in certain sets or lineups to cause a mismatch. But in my mind she's a 5 that can play the 4. with the versatility to slide over to a 3 if the lineup calls for it.
Probably right, HGN. I just remember an interview with her while she was still at Duke, at which she was praised for being moved around to all positions. And, I know that Geno will naturally have the final say of course with how she plays at UConn, but I think her pro future is at the 3-4. She did body bang underneath at Duke occasionally, but I think that on offense especially she naturally sets up as a wing....I think.

Reactions: HGN

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Probably right, HGN. I just remember an interview with her while she was still at Duke, at which she was praised for being moved around to all positions. And, I know that Geno will naturally have the final say of course with how she plays at UConn, but I think her pro future is at the 3-4. She did body bang underneath at Duke occasionally, but I think that on offense especially she naturally sets up as a wing....I think.

Maybe her pro future will be like Delle Donne's - playing mostly the 4 but everyone pretending like she's a 3...

HGN

Reaction Score
Now that I can agree with.

HGN

Reaction Score
Adamec posted this yesterday afternoon. I read it right after he posted it. I'm surprised it took this long to find it's way into the Boneyard. Adamec's blog brings several thoughts to mind. First, we can now step further away from our monitors, since Keith Walker (Megan's father) has said that it may be next week before they will announce her decision. One poster facetiously commented that he hoped she would wait until the spring, thereby giving the 75,900+ viewers (to date) something to do until then. My guess is that only 5,000 - 8,000 fans ( it could be more/less) are viewing that thread on a daily basis. Some of them (me included) several times a day, to get the latest information out there in regards to Megan's decision.

This is a very slow period in the yard. The dog daze of summer. There's not a lot of stories or items of interest for us to discuss. Megan Walker is the #1 ranked player in the class of 2017, and the #1 player of interest on the Notre Dame Board, the Texas Board, as well as The Boneyard. There are posters like Reno Tony that are enjoying the MW craze: 75,900+ hits on a thread proves that Tony is not alone. We do this every year here in the yard. Next year, we'll be pining over somebody else. Some of us are more interested than others when top ranked recruits are on the fence, and UConn has a chance of landing one of them. It all depends on the degree or depth of your investment in the UConn Women's Basketball program. The deeper the investment/involvement, the more concerned you are. Those on the fringe have little or no concern.

Because Geno and staff covet her, we do too. We follow and support Geno. Some of us are so caught up with the possibility of having Megan join our family, we have lost sight of the players we are ready have on campus, and those that have committed to come. Will having Walker enhance UConn's chances of winning several more national championships? Most UConn/WCBB fans think so. Geno's position towards any recruit is "we will win with, or without you".

There are posters that think UConn has a better than even chance of getting Walker, while others have said "No way!!. She's not coming". I have my own reasons for thinking Walker will wind up at UConn. But whether she does or not, UConn will still have a better than average chance of winning several more championships during Walker's four years in college.

Secondly......UConn will get other recruits from future classes. If Walker chooses to go else where, UConn moves on. Just like they did when Elena Delle Donne, A'ja Wilson, Asia Durr, Arike Ogunbowale, Lauren Cox, Erin Boley, etc...., all coveted recruits that Geno really wanted, chose to go to other programs. Life goes on. The longer this Walker phenomenon drags on, it gives us time to pause and reflect, not on those who may come, but on those who are already here (or have verbaled). There are several other highly coveted recruits in the 2017 class and beyond that are on UConn's radar.

I'm agree with Geno. I expect UConn to win with or without Walker. The huskies have amassed a roster comprised of some extremely talented players (that want to be here) that are very capable of doing some great things. The jury is still out on the incoming freshmen as yet. How much help they can/will be this year, will be known by the Christmas break. UConn does not have to go undefeated to win the NC. No one expects them to do so.

All they have to do is get in the tournament (which is a given), then play their best basketball of the year, and win the final six games. They don't have to beat down, over whelm or blow out all of the top ranked opponents on their schedule this season. All they have to do is be ready to play their best basketball of the season come late March and early April. Geno and staff are masters at getting their teams ready for March madness. This year will be no different than years past, No team wants to be in UConn's region.

The general consensus is that UConn has fallen back just a bit towards the pack this season. That remains to be seen. Championships are not won on paper, and no one has played a game yet. We should have a much clearer idea of what kind of team UConn will be this year after the 5th non exhibition game. Games against Florida State, Baylor, LSU, Dayton & Chattanooga should provide a realistic barometer of the level of virility we can expect from the huskies this season.

So....in short, imo whether Walker chooses to come to Storrs or not, based on the players already on roster, and those that have committed to come, the future for the huskies appears to be very very bright. We ALL know from past history, it's not who you get (recruit), but how well you coach (teach/train) up the ones you do, and get them to play. :cool:
Cornac, good post. You hit the nail on the head. We all would like to have MW , and her brand , as part of the Huskie Family. But if she chooses to go someplace else we will wish her luck and move on with the certainty that another outstanding talent will come along in the near future that WILL choose UCONN. And we will ALL rave about that recruit like we are now doing.

GO HUSKIES !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS