Adamec Looks at AAC/ Geno Quotes | The Boneyard

Adamec Looks at AAC/ Geno Quotes

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
SNY announces 2016-17 broadcast schedule for UConn women's basketball

"I don't see any reason why we can't get four teams in the NCAA tournament every year and maybe some years more," Auriemma said. "The non-conference scheduling is better and that will help us. I think recruiting is getting better. The level of competition is better.

"By us being in the league it skews it a bit. But I've always said that if you took us out, it would be an unbelievably competitive league. There are some weeks where you can be in fourth place in the conference and then you lose a couple of games at the end of the week your eighth. Take us out, it's really, really competitive."

In the understatement of the century Geno says: "We've beaten teams outside of the league and we have to keep doing that," Auriemma said. "We have to win games in the NCAA tournament. I like our chances. I like what we're doing."

Reaction Score
SNY announces 2016-17 broadcast schedule for UConn women's basketball

"I don't see any reason why we can't get four teams in the NCAA tournament every year and maybe some years more," Auriemma said. "The non-conference scheduling is better and that will help us. I think recruiting is getting better. The level of competition is better.

"By us being in the league it skews it a bit. But I've always said that if you took us out, it would be an unbelievably competitive league. There are some weeks where you can be in fourth place in the conference and then you lose a couple of games at the end of the week your eighth. Take us out, it's really, really competitive."

In the understatement of the century Geno says: "We've beaten teams outside of the league and we have to keep doing that," Auriemma said. "We have to win games in the NCAA tournament. I like our chances. I like what we're doing."
Interesting and nice comment on the AAC by Geno, gracious don't you think?
The Big East when it began wasn't much more than the AAC. It had ND and UConn to bolster it--almost like Fla and Uconn. Geno wasn't talking about teams getting to the Elite 8 or FF, he was speaking of just getting into the tournament, that should be do-able, maybe this year. We have seen a few teams give Uconn a bit a run last season; I like the chance of Tulane, Houston

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The Big East when it began wasn't much more than the AAC. It had ND and UConn to bolster it--almost like Fla and Uconn. Geno wasn't talking about teams getting to the Elite 8 or FF, he was speaking of just getting into the tournament, that should be do-able, maybe this year. We have seen a few teams give Uconn a bit a run last season; I like the chance of Tulane, Houston
Gracious, no doubt. I find this a little too apologetic:"By us being in the league it skews it a bit". I don't see any evidence that recruiting for the rest of the league is actually picking up in women's basketball-something I've debated with @UcMiami. The latest addition to the conference Wichita state was a sub .500 team in WCBB last year and lost to Stanford by 48 points. Let's face it, without UCONN in this conference hardly anyone would bat an eye if this conference placed 1 or max 2 teams in the NCAA WCBB tournament each year. This is a dreadful place to be for the preeminent WCBB program on the planet.

Reaction Score
Gracious, no doubt. I find this a little too apologetic:"By us being in the league it skews it a bit". I don't see any evidence that recruiting for the rest of the league is actually picking up in women's basketball-something I've debated with @UcMiami. The latest addition to the conference Wichita state was a sub .500 team in WCBB last year and lost to Stanford by 48 points. Let's face it, without UCONN in this conference hardly anyone would bat an eye if this conference placed 1 or max 2 teams in the NCAA WCBB tournament each year. This is a dreadful place to be for the preeminent WCBB program on the planet.

Geno, I don't believe was speaking specifically about this year or even next but potential. A bit naive and hopeful I believe with Uconn as a conference torch bearer and Geno as a cheerleader for positive change I see no reason for the league to not get a fair share in the NCAA Tourney. If teams like my local JMU can make it there is hope for others. JMU hasn't been great in WBB expenditures. Money (helps) to move WBB programs forward.
Obviously I am not disagreeing with you but I see this glass half full.
If you don't dance with the guy who asked you --maybe you won't dance at all---and the AAC asked Geno to dance not the ACC, 12, 10, etc

Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma @CoachA1on1
Frank Bruni column in today’s NYT is must read for all college professors (yesAlysa that’s means you) and students. #DylanWasRight
4 replies24 retweets93 likes

Reaction Score
Wow, revisionist history. ND came to the Big East after it was established as the best basketball league. In the early years of The Big East UCONN was not one of the premier teams. The program grew as did the stature of the league.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

As far as I can tell from a quick review of the old tournament brackets, the Big East never got more than two teams into the NCAA tournament until 1998. Perhaps part of this is because the tournament wasn't expanded to 64 teams until 1994. But still, for the first four years of the 64-team field, only one at-large bid was awarded to a Big East team.

I remember when the Tennessee fans (and other SEC-philes) would deride UConn for its allegedly weak conference. They sounded an awful lot like the people now who take shots at the AAC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe a bit overstated. I also believe UConn WCBB belongs in better places, but IMHO, the AAC has gotten better in the last couple of years. Not the Tulsas and Wichita States and, unfortunately, Cincinnatis of the world -- they are, as you say, dreadful and seemingly without administrative support at their institutions. But The rest have gotten more competitive, with impressive coaches like the woman at Central FL. And speaking of them, a number of teams have shown a real spark during the season. I'm thinking SFU, which continues to be good, Central Florida, SMU and Tulane. Will they beat UConn? Probably not, but they field competitive, fun-to-watch teams. Geno's point is vlid. Absent UConn, this would be a highly competitive league. It would not yet play very good basketball, but it would be competitive.

Reaction Score
Nice article on Lexi Gordon up on SNY now too. She's struggling to keep up with the pace it says, but i think that's to be expected for a freshman in October.

Edit : just saw this is already in another thread.

Reaction Score
As far as I can tell from a quick review of the old tournament brackets, the Big East never got more than two teams into the NCAA tournament until 1998. Perhaps part of this is because the tournament wasn't expanded to 64 teams until 1994. But still, for the first four years of the 64-team field, only one at-large bid was awarded to a Big East team.

I remember when the Tennessee fans (and other SEC-philes) would deride UConn for its allegedly weak conference. They sounds an awful lot like the people now who take shots at the AAC.
Thanks for the verification of my beliefs/poor memory recall. You'd expect Tn and a few others to take a shot at the "upstart" Uconn running over them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom