Adamec: Horston's MVP effort at FIBA U-17 World Cup good as gold | The Boneyard

Adamec: Horston's MVP effort at FIBA U-17 World Cup good as gold

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carl spoke with the MVP.

Horston's MVP effort at FIBA U-17 World Cup good as gold

"And this whole team was unselfish and every player was willing to make that extra pass. We always looked for each other to make sure we'd get the best shot."

Horston was usually in the middle of Team USA's best play.

The 6-foot guard was third on the team in scoring behind Aliyah Boston and Haley Jones at 10.1 points, was second to Boston in rebounds at 7.0. and led the squad at 5.1 assists and 3.4 steals. She shot 50.0 percent from the floor and had an assist-to-turnover ration of 2.8.

There's also a college choice to be made. Horston has already made official visits to North Carolina - where her mother's cousin, Sylvia Crawley, is an assistant coach - and UCLA, and is also considering UConn, hometown Ohio State, Louisville, South Carolina and Tennessee. She had planned an official visit to UConn the weekend of June 1 but travel issues caused her to postpone it. Her list is still at seven and she said she'll make her way to Storrs for that visit in September.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I hope she gets the chance to play some pick up with a few UConn grads.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Carl spoke to the MVP at 3:00 AM to find out that she is visiting UCONN in September.....

thinking-emoticon-15563809.jpg

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Carl spoke with the MVP.

Horston's MVP effort at FIBA U-17 World Cup good as gold

"And this whole team was unselfish and every player was willing to make that extra pass. We always looked for each other to make sure we'd get the best shot."

Horston was usually in the middle of Team USA's best play.

The 6-foot guard was third on the team in scoring behind Aliyah Boston and Haley Jones at 10.1 points, was second to Boston in rebounds at 7.0. and led the squad at 5.1 assists and 3.4 steals. She shot 50.0 percent from the floor and had an assist-to-turnover ration of 2.8.

There's also a college choice to be made. Horston has already made official visits to North Carolina - where her mother's cousin, Sylvia Crawley, is an assistant coach - and UCLA, and is also considering UConn, hometown Ohio State, Louisville, South Carolina and Tennessee.

She had planned an official visit to UConn the weekend of June 1 but travel issues caused her to postpone it. Her list is still at seven and she said she'll make her way to Storrs for that visit in September.

Kind of a weird list of schools for what might be the best recruit in the class. Can't see how Ohio State, North Carolina, or even Tennessee a real shot at landing her if she's wanting to improve as a player or play in a Final Four. UCLA likely suffers a big drop off this year so they likely fall in the same category as the other 3, which leaves SC, Louisville, and UCONN.

At SC she'd likely slide in well as a 2 or 3, playing alongside Harris for a year and has 3 years with Henderson. Louisville she'd slide in well alongside Evans and would get big minutes early considering Durr will be gone. UCONN is definitely the most loaded out of the 3, as they'll have Dangerfield, Williams, Walker and ONO on the roster. If Walker is PF, Horston could slide in at the 3 spot. Realistically, she'll have a hard time being a top scorer at UCONN her first 2 seasons with Walker/ONO/Williams there, but the roster is loaded so she likely play in 4 Final Fours and I could see her playing more of a Gabby Williams type of role as a 3rd or 4th option who is more involved in setting her teammates up. UCONN is also very top heavy with talent, but lacks quality depth, so she should get good minutes from the get go.

Whoever ends up landing her is getting a good one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Realistically, she'll have a hard time being a top scorer at UCONN her first 2 seasons

The starters for U17 averaged 11.3, 10.9, 10.1, 9.7, & 9.7. Horston won the MVP for doing other things. I think she just got a taste of what it could be like in Storrs and that not being the top scorer can be a good thing when you are surrounded by other great scorers.

Reaction Score
Kind of a weird list of schools for what might be the best recruit in the class. Can't see how Ohio State, North Carolina, or even Tennessee a real shot at landing her if she's wanting to improve as a player or play in a Final Four. UCLA likely suffers a big drop off this year so they likely fall in the same category as the other 3, which leaves SC, Louisville, and UCONN.

At SC she'd likely slide in well as a 2 or 3, playing alongside Harris for a year and has 3 years with Henderson. Louisville she'd slide in well alongside Evans and would get big minutes early considering Durr will be gone. UCONN is definitely the most loaded out of the 3, as they'll have Dangerfield, Williams, Walker and ONO on the roster. If Walker is PF, Horston could slide in at the 3 spot. Realistically, she'll have a hard time being a top scorer at UCONN her first 2 seasons with Walker/ONO/Williams there, but the roster is loaded so she likely play in 4 Final Fours and I could see her playing more of a Gabby Williams type of role as a 3rd or 4th option who is more involved in setting her teammates up. UCONN is also very top heavy with talent, but lacks quality depth, so she should get good minutes from the get go.

Whoever ends up landing her is getting a good one.

Louisville will be very guard heavy as well. They redshirted top 25 2017 guard Lindsay Duvall, and got Mykasa Robinson who is a top 50 2018 kid as well as Seygan Robins who is a top 25 guard as well. Not to mention Nyah Green (ranked #1 for 2019 at one point) is also committed.

Seems to me UCONN and SC are her best options.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Louisville will be very guard heavy as well. They redshirted top 25 2017 guard Lindsay Duvall, and got Mykasa Robinson who is a top 50 2018 kid as well as Seygan Robins who is a top 25 guard as well. Not to mention Nyah Green (ranked #1 for 2019 at one point) is also committed.

Didn't realize they had so many guards. Horston will likely be ahead of any of those players and can play SF too, so I don't think she'd shy away from Louisville due to that. Walz has no problem taking on more kids than he can handle and letting the ones who don't earn playing time transfer out.

If SC can land her and a quality big, they should be very good the next several years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
(1) If Jordan is looking for family-like chemistry, I think she'll see it in abundance in Storrs.

(2) How many reporters from South Bend, Chapel Hill, etc. talked to her at 3 AM?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Never underestimate the power of Tenn. to somehow recruit excellent young guards, then of course fail to develop them. But to a kid that has little concept of history or perspective it's not surprising. Let's hope Horston has both.

Reaction Score
Never underestimate the power of Tenn. to somehow recruit excellent young guards, then of course fail to develop them. But to a kid that has little concept of history or perspective it's not surprising. Let's hope Horston has both.

Yeah, there definitely has to be something in the water down in Knoxville! Why anybody would want to go and play for a coach, that has done nothing with an abundance of talent, is a mystery to me.

Reaction Score
All of the analysis makes a lot of sense.
Now the question is where will she choose to attend college? Myself like most others here, see the answer as very clear cut. No doubt with her very diverse and balance skill set she will play significant minutes maybe from very early on, maybe any where.
As others have said, she has to know that no other program will not only prepare her for a professional career but maximize those very obvious talents and also maximize that career.
It also surely seems that playing with a close, long time friend like Zia Cooke appears to be, or where she can start and play immediately are factors only she can weigh.
Those need to be compared to possible, probable or even likely FF's and maybe NC's. If she wants a family environment and the feeling she just had with her teammates and possibly coming away with another championship, again the answer / choice seems very clear.
If she's as good as she has been on this tournament and believes it herself, she knows she can succeed wherever she goes!
Ball's in your court Jordan!
Bronx23

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
(1) If Jordan is looking for family-like chemistry, I think she'll see it in abundance in Storrs.

She has plenty of family-like chemistry in Chapel Hill, since her mom's sister is an Assistant Coach, I believe.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She has plenty of family-like chemistry in Chapel Hill, since her mom's sister is an Assistant Coach, I believe.
She'll find family, but maybe not team chemistry.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Actually, UNC asst coach Sylvia Crawley is her mom's cousin, not sister.

I'm old enough to remember when UNC was relevant in wbb and would have won a recruiting battle for a player like Horston. Hatchell's health issues have no doubt been a factor in the demise of a program that used to be good.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

I'm old enough to remember when UNC was relevant in wbb and would have won a recruiting battle for a player like Horston. Hatchell's health issues have no doubt been a factor in the demise of a program that used to be good.
So was the threat of the program going on probation. That is one reason some top players transferred.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I wasn't 100% sure which it was. Thanks for clarifying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom