Adamec: Geno and the NBA! | The Boneyard

Adamec: Geno and the NBA!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Auriemma values trip to Celtics' camp

The link is to a fascinating article by Carl on a recent outing Geno made to watch a Celtics practice.
I'm not surprised a bit that our #1 is still trying to learn about the game....nor that he is clearly a fan of the Celtics coach Brad Stevens. Vice-versa on that score.

Hmm....it is oft expressed here that a poster just hates the NBA game...sometimes even including the guy-side college game. An occasional glance at our men's board often shows disdain for the NBA as well.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Administrators: my bad...I missed the prior link here...can this be merged with that thread?

Reaction Score
Just because a person (OK, this person) hates NBA basketball does not mean someone else who does not and who is really, really good at basketball strategy cannot pick up ideas from one of the relatively few NBA teams that's acknowledged to be good at team play. Geno is known for doing this.

Apropos of the subject, I was in a restaurant last night for dinner and a TV was positioned nearby with the Bucks vs Cavaliers game on. Because of recent discussions on this board, I decided I would try to watch some of it, to see if my negative opinion about the sport would be changed.

I admit I watched sporadically, but with only two exceptions, every time I looked up, there was a play in which a player, ignoring teammates, tried to take the ball to the hole or shake himself free for an open shot. The two exceptions were when a player set up a good play with his teammates. The rest of the time, it was shake-and-bake and head for the basket, oftentimes taking four or more steps while carrying the basketball, and chucking a shot up there that sometimes went in but mostly did not. Players had more luck when they tried to get loose for an outside shot, because, when covered, they were more likely to toss it to a teammate who sometimes was open for a three.

There are some teams that are doing the team game more effectively, I guess, but to me, it's the same old stuff. Having seen what good basketball is, I find it unwatchable, especially given what I know these extremely talented athletes could do if the sport had sensible rules well enforced and coaches who wanted teams to be teams and not collections of stars.

Reaction Score
Well, Geno loves San Antonio, 'cause they've always played the equivalent (so far as any NBA-style is equivalent to the smartest college ball). But Geno also loves, loves, loves entertainment. He loves high scoring ball. He loves excitement. He loves people in the stands. So, I guess he can ignore the fact that all the players are over-paid prima donnas who've never heard of defense, because they are not his over-paid prima donnas who've never heard of defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom