Adamec: Asjha in the Women's HOF? Geno says.... | The Boneyard

Adamec: Asjha in the Women's HOF? Geno says....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The narrative relates closely to the recent thread about players often being glorified more because of their membership on a number of championship teams than on the quality of their performance.

Geno makes the compelling argument that Asjha's presence on those teams and her participation in their games was an important factor in their ultimate success, measured by number of team championships.

Reaction Score

Should Asjha (?) be in the Hall Of Fame? That's above my pay grade. But emotionally and from viewing her game at Gample and XL Center she was a significant factor in most of Uconn wins.
I can't say Uconn would not have won those Championships without her, but I doubt it.
There wasn't a member on that team that isn't a favorite of my memory, even Kerstin (hope I spelled it right).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is an interesting question and also gets into the issue of what constitutes a HOF player or coach - and that criteria changes over time so saying there are people in a HOF that are less deserving than a current candidate isn't really a valid argument in my mind - it is certainly worthy of comparison, but not a reason in and of itself for inclusion.

More interesting would be to look at contemporary players with similar careers - Jennifer Gillom, DeLisha Milton Jones, Ruth Riley, Alana Beard, Shannon Johnson, Tameka Dixon. They were all NT members for Olympic and or WC medals and pro allstars since 2000.

Reaction Score
My feeling is that if Coach Auriemma has to offer a public endorsement of support, the eventual induction is not very likely. This offers a very nice way to compliment a former player of whom he is obviously quite fond. Ms Jones' college career was very good, not great. Her pro career also very good, not great. We would be giving this very serious consideration had Ms Jones been a significant contributor to the recent Lynx championship. However, she did not play a single minute against Indiana in the WNBA Finals. Not to say that there is no hope because if Kamie Etheridge is in...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
My feeling is that if Coach Auriemma has to offer a public endorsement of support, the eventual induction is not very likely. This offers a very nice way to compliment a former player of whom he is obviously quite fond. Ms Jones' college career was very good, not great. Her pro career also very good, not great. We would be giving this very serious consideration had Ms Jones been a significant contributor to the recent Lynx championship. However, she did not play a single minute against Indiana in the WNBA Finals. Not to say that there is no hope because if Kamie Etheridge is in...
who?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Jones has had a very impressive career, but no way does she qualify to be a hall of famer for her playing career. She won championships at Connecticut, but was never higher than being the 4th option offensively at Connecticut.

Her best pro years were in Connecticut where she was able to be a key player on some teams that appeared in the finals, but she wasn't able to win one.

She wasn't an Olympic caliber player when she did win gold in 2012, and I don't think she played a single minute in the finals against Indy this year, but now has a good medal and WNBA championship on her resume.

Solid impressive career, not close to being HOF caliber IMO.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
just being a UConn player gets her in... :oops:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Whether it impacts Asjha or not, it is clear that the women's HOF is easier to get in than the [true...imo...]HOF in Springfield.

Reaction Score
Whether it impacts Asjha or not, it is clear that the women's HOF is easier to get in than the [true...imo...]HOF in Springfield.

Eventually that will change now that, for players, as long as the WNBA remains viable, there are both college and professional careers to consider for induction. It is difficult to determine the cutoff though, but I do believe that the Hall has inducted most of the top college players from the 80's, they are winding through the 90's, so it would be a nice guess to say that after Jackie Stiles gets in(assuming that she eventually gets in), induction for players will be more heavily weighed toward their respective pro careers.

As far as the Naismith Hall of Fame, if anyone cares to offer support or rebuttal to my contention that Bill Walton does not belong; Great college career, so-so pro career in which he was injured at least 50% of his career, finished his career as a backup center in Boston.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Walton belongs imo. Injuries greatly impacted his pro career...granted.
FWI: I have heard Bob Ryan....nicknamed The Commissioner for his knowledge of the NBA and hoops overall....claim that for one game or one series....healthy....he would take Bill Walton over any and all centers who ever played. Can't say I would go that far but I do think he belongs in Springfield.

Aside: Bill Bradley is in the HOF...correct? That is primarily based on his college career....imo....his pro career alone would not have gained him entry.

Reaction Score
Too many HOF's are getting watered down by good and very good players. It should be reserved for the cream of the crop, elite players from any given era. Yes, Asjha was a very good player, and won championships at every level where she competed. But, was she in the top 5 players of womens basketball at any of those times ?

IMO, the HOF is for players the caliber of Sue, Diana, Maya, Stewie at this point.

Reaction Score
Walton belongs imo. Injuries greatly impacted his pro career...granted.
FWI: I have heard Bob Ryan....nicknamed The Commissioner for his knowledge of the NBA and hoops overall....claim that for one game or one series....healthy....he would take Bill Walton over any and all centers who ever played. Can't say I would go that far but I do think he belongs in Springfield.

Aside: Bill Bradley is in the HOF...correct? That is primarily based on his college career....imo....his pro career alone would not have gained him entry.

Bill Bradley, indeed, had a stellar college career at Princeton when 50 point games were much more common. His pro career alone, as you say, was not going to get him into the HOF, but it was darn good; Those were some very popular Knicks teams on which he played. Being a Rhodes Scholar also upped his credentials.

What Bob Ryan says about Bill Walton pretty much says it all - healthy. Bill Walton was never healthy. So, if Walton is in based on a great college career, then what about guys like Austin Carr? Christian Laettner? No one had a better college career than Laettner, plus he was on the Dream Team.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The HOF in any sport should be reserved for the elite in that sport, not merely the good or even very good. Asjha Jones had solid careers both in college and the WNBA, but there's no way she should be mentioned for the HOF, she's not even a borderline candidate. Nothing on her resume supports her inclusion into the HOF or even being in the discussion. The mere fact that she played on championship teams doesn't count toward her individual accomplishments, or lack thereof. Brianna Pulido and Tiffany Lawlor will most probably win 4 NCAA Championships, as will Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson, do Pulido and Lawlor belong in the HOF too? Championships in team sports are never a measure of individual greatness, for many athletes it's a case of being in the right place at the right time. Championships only measure greatness in individual sports, Golf, Tennis, and Boxing, when your ultimate success or failure isn't dependent on those around you. Despite what Geno may say publicly, I know he's wise enough to know that Asjha Jones is not a HOF Player and doesn't really belong.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Brianna Pulido and Tiffany Lawlor will most probably win 4 NCAA Championships, as will Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson, do Pulido and Lawlor belong in the HOF too?
Geez, nobody had corrected him yet? We're slow today.
Neither is true. Pulido has a chance at 3, she came on the team as a Soph. And Tiffany Lawlor doesn't exist on UCONN's women's basketball team. Tierney Lawlor has a chance for her 3rd this year, but UCONN would have to go 5 straight for her to get 4. She joined as a FR, but in Chong's class, not Stewart/Jefferson's.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I was a big fan of Jones when she was at UConn. Mostly because of her work ethic. She was always there. However, she was a good player, not a great one. Putting good players like Jones in the HOF because they played on a championship team is akin to passing out "participation" trophies to little league players. Everybody gets one and they soon become meaningless.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bill Bradley, indeed, had a stellar college career at Princeton when 50 point games were much more common. His pro career alone, as you say, was not going to get him into the HOF, but it was darn good; Those were some very popular Knicks teams on which he played. Being a Rhodes Scholar also upped his credentials.

What Bob Ryan says about Bill Walton pretty much says it all - healthy. Bill Walton was never healthy. So, if Walton is in based on a great college career, then what about guys like Austin Carr? Christian Laettner? No one had a better college career than Laettner, plus he was on the Dream Team.
Well, as we have gone round and round on another thread - Walton has the rings! Two from college, two from the pros, as well as 3x national player of the year in college, 2x MOP of FF, 1x NBA player of the year and 1x Finals MOP. He was an amazing player to watch who unfortunately had bad feet.

Reaction Score
Well, as we have gone round and round on another thread - Walton has the rings! Two from college, two from the pros, as well as 3x national player of the year in college, 2x MOP of FF, 1x NBA player of the year and 1x Finals MOP. He was an amazing player to watch who unfortunately had bad feet.

Are you going to tell me that Walton's NBA career is HOF worthy? He played 10 seasons in 13 years; Of the games he played he barely played in over half the minutes, 28.8. In ten seasons, he played 468 games, was only in the playoffs four out of 10 years, and was an NBA All Star only twice in his 10 year career. The Hall of Fame is bestowed for an entire body of work, not for flashes of brilliance. Walton's UCLA teammate Jamaal Wilkes is in the Hall of Fame and deservedly so; Was very good in college and was consistently very good as a pro; One of the best shooters ever. A typical Chick Hearn call, "Wilkes, 15 foot layup, good."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Are you going to tell me that Walton's NBA career is HOF worthy? He played 10 seasons in 13 years; Of the games he played he barely played in over half the minutes, 28.8. In ten seasons, he played 468 games, was only in the playoffs four out of 10 years, and was an NBA All Star only twice in his 10 year career. The Hall of Fame is bestowed for an entire body of work, not for flashes of brilliance. Walton's UCLA teammate Jamaal Wilkes is in the Hall of Fame and deservedly so; Was very good in college and was consistently very good as a pro; One of the best shooters ever. A typical Chick Hearn call, "Wilkes, 15 foot layup, good."
And yet Wilkes was never the best player on his team while Walton was 4 times voted the best player in the country and 3 times voted the best player in a finals win. And for all the extra games and a few extra years he was only voted to an all star team one more time than Walton.

Reaction Score
And yet Wilkes was never the best player on his team while Walton was 4 times voted the best player in the country and 3 times voted the best player in a finals win. And for all the extra games and a few extra years he was only voted to an all star team one more time than Walton.

Correct, which is to say that if Walton was so great, then his numbers should far exceed those of his contemporaries, and of someone like Wilkes, who, as you correctly state, was never the best player on his team, but an outstanding, consistent ballplayer throughout his college and pro careers.

You believe Bill Walton is a sure Hall of Famer. I believe his pro stats put him behind any number of ballplayers. One of the great things about sports.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Correct, which is to say that if Walton was so great, then his numbers should far exceed those of his contemporaries, and of someone like Wilkes, who, as you correctly state, was never the best player on his team, but an outstanding, consistent ballplayer throughout his college and pro careers.

You believe Bill Walton is a sure Hall of Famer. I believe his pro stats put him behind any number of ballplayers. One of the great things about sports.
I think it gets down to brilliance vs. longevity. There are a number of WCBB coaches who are or will get into the WBB Hall of fame based more on longevity than on being really great coaches for example.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Walton's college career is what makes him HOF worthy. He is arguably the best collegiate player ever, even if his pro career wasn't quite up to par. Same for players like Jackie Stiles and Chamique Holdsclaw--in a league of their own collegiately even if their pro careers didn't pan out as expected. That said, Stiles' and Holdsclaw's accomplishments in college alone make them shoe-ins for HOF if you ask me. Neither has the championship case or the 18-19 year resume that Asjha Jones has, but if you ask who is least deserving of a HOF nod between Jones, Holdsclaw and Stiles, it's a no brainer.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
We use to shoot our jumpers like him cause we thought it was a cool stroke... and it went in.

those backdoor passes from Magic was amazing

Reaction Score
We use to shoot our jumpers like him cause we thought it was a cool stroke... and it went in.

those backdoor passes from Magic was amazing

He had a very unique overhead jumper that was super smooth and as automatic as there was in the game.

Reaction Score
I think it gets down to brilliance vs. longevity. There are a number of WCBB coaches who are or will get into the WBB Hall of fame based more on longevity than on being really great coaches for example.

Are you suggesting someone like Doug Bruno?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom