Adamec article on Saniya...great stuff! | The Boneyard

Adamec article on Saniya...great stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
For some reason I can't get Carl's latest blog to link here. I would highly recommend
checking his article out using the blog links up top. If someone can link the article here....so much the better.
Really worth a look....best of luck to Saniya in her last go-round. If she is consistently productive, we will be a much better team and it will give Crystal more time to fit in at this level of hoops.

Go Saniya!

Reaction Score
Is this the year for Saniya Chong?
"I'm just trying to bring everything," Chong said after practice Monday. "The past few years I haven't really done much. I want to help my team in all aspects. So this year I'm coming out here and working hard each and every day.

"I want to be that person my teammates will come to, whether they're freshmen, sophomores, or juniors. Whatever I can help them with, I'm here for them. I've been through everything in the past three years so I have a lot to tell."

Yes, she owns three national championship rings and the Huskies are 116-1 since her arrival here. Yes, she has certainly had her moments.

She had a double-double of 17 points and 10 rebounds against Central Florida on Feb. 19, 2014, on her way to being named to the American Athletic Conference all-freshman team. She began her sophomore year in the starting lineup, had 12 points in the opener against UC Davis and followed that up with a career-high 20 points against Stanford. Of course, the main thing anyone remembers about the Nov. 17, 2014, contest at Maples Pavilion is that it's UConn's only loss in the last 123 games.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I do like Saniya, but she has always talked a good game. Geno has just said he's going to put her out there and see what happens. He pulled her in under 90 seconds in the Syracuse Nat'l Championship ... the last game she played.

"In three possessions, the Huskies had two turnovers -- including one by Chong that led to a layup -- and a rushed attempt as the shot clock expired. Six points by the Orange cut what had once been a 33-point lead to 17. As Auriemma called time out to get Tuck back in for Chong after just 84 seconds, he turned to associate head coach Chris Dailey.

"You can't trust her," he said."

HGN

Reaction Score
I too am pulling for Saniya...........I think her real problems are self-doubt and low confidence.
I hope Geno just puts her out there and let her play without yanking her out after a few minutes . Let her play thru her mistakes. Show a little confidence in her and she will have confidence in herself.

She's afraid to do anything for fear of messing up and getting yanked. Just let her play thru the mistakes and the mistakes will slowly disappear. And the great ballplayer we know is in there will start to appear. With such a short bench we need her experience. Having rookies with no experience at the 1 and 2 , I am hoping Geno will let her play thru it early.

GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
She appears to be over the injury; looks to be a lot stronger, has shown flashes of the real talent she possesses and, by now, really knows the UConn system.

. What she needs is a lot of playing time so that she can relax and not feel she has to prove anything in a few minutes of playing time per game.

It seems that people are saying that she will be either great, not a contributor or don't know. There are certainly valid arguments for all those opinions.

I think that she will, over the season, prove herself to be a good D1 guard, who will make some important shots or passes and will have at least a few really big games.

It is at least a possibility that she will have a great final year and be an unpleasant surprise for other teams. She has the physical tools. It is her mentality that will be the determining factor.

It think that she and Butler could the difference between a final four appearance and a national championship.

The bottom line is that I hope she has a good enough year to leave UConn feeling happy with her basketball experience.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let her play thru her mistakes. Show a little confidence in her and she will have confidence in herself.
She's afraid to do anything for fear of messing up and getting yanked. Just let her play thru the mistakes and the mistakes will slowly disappear. And the great ballplayer we know is in there will start to appear. With such a short bench we need her experience. Having rookies with no experience at the 1 and 2 , I am hoping Geno will let her play thru it early.
GO HUSKIES!!
I don't agree with this approach, because Geno would be applying a different standard for Saniya than he's done for everyone else in a UCONN uniform.

Reaction Score
I too am pulling for Saniya......I think her real problems are self-doubt and low confidence.
I hope Geno just puts her out there and let her play without yanking her out after a few minutes . Let her play thru her mistakes. Show a little confidence in her and she will have confidence in herself.

GO HUSKIES!!
You beat me to the punch. While writing my thoughts, you snuck yours in.

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this approach, because Geno would be applying a different standard for Saniya than he's done for everyone else in a UCONN uniform.
Coco , there's not a player alive that doesn't make mistakes.........Stewie , Moriah , all made mistakes from time to time. Moriah had turnovers from time to time but didn't get yanked. Geno finally had confidence enough in Moriah to leave her out there. Especially when he didn't have Hartley to fall back on.

All I am saying is leave Saniya out there to play thru some of those same type mistakes all PG's make. without the fear of getting yanked. If she can play without that one fear , maybe we begin to see a more confident and productive player.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Geno has already said that the players should not be afraid of making mistakes. Otherwise, they won't get any better.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco , there's not a player alive that doesn't make mistakes....Stewie , Moriah , all made mistakes from time to time. Moriah had turnovers from time to time but didn't get yanked. Geno finally had confidence enough in Moriah to leave her out there. Especially when he didn't have Hartley to fall back on.
All I am saying is leave Saniya out there to play thru some of those same type mistakes all PG's make. without the fear of getting yanked. If she can play without that one fear , maybe we begin to see a more confident and productive player.
I hear & understand what you are saying, just don't agree. UCONN is not running an apprentice program, the standard should be enforced the same for all players. It really is a simple formula: if ( Productivity- Mistakes) player A > (Productivity- Mistakes) player B. Player A plays more than player B. Saniya is also a Senior, The Moriah Jefferson you are talking about was a Sophomore and being trained to be UCONN PG for next 2 full seasons.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Coco , there's not a player alive that doesn't make mistakes....Stewie , Moriah , all made mistakes from time to time. Moriah had turnovers from time to time but didn't get yanked. Geno finally had confidence enough in Moriah to leave her out there. Especially when he didn't have Hartley to fall back on.

The fear of being yanked is very real in some players. It's similar to some people having a fear of heights or the dark. These things may not bother me or you at all, but it's very real to them. When a player is overcome with it, they think more about not messing up, than on what they're suppose to be doing.

I commented yesterday that Moriah Jefferson experienced the same fear her freshman year, but she over came it. Some posters here had noted the fact the she still lacks confidence. Kiah Stokes (I'm still a huge fan) wore those same shoes. Her senior year, she still had self confidence issues. On the other hand, players like Taurasi, Bird, Elliott & Sales never had that problem. The lack of self confidence has kept people from doing things since the dawn of man. Just ask Javaman. He's been here the whole time. :cool:

Reaction Score

I agree---I don't want to be the kid sitting on the end of the bench because some pro college kid back swiped the ball from me--and have Saniya getting to 'work thru her mistakes'. As a SENIOR --you should have NO mistakes (realistically minimal)--as a SEnIOR she has a larger burden for the success of the team.

Geno's quotes on Saniya almost made a grown man (I did not say mature) cry. "She always plays well in November--You can't trust her"

Reaction Score
Geno has already said that the players should not be afraid of making mistakes. Otherwise, they won't get any better.

Geno seeks perfection--and knows the truth ---human's make mistakes. I believe Geno was alluding to practice ---where he expects mistakes---in games you'll sit for a mistake especially if you are a Junior or Sr--by then you had better have Geno's desires, expectations, plays and defense memorized.

Reaction Score
The fear of being yanked is very real in some players. It's similar to some people having a fear of heights or the dark. These things may not bother me or you at all, but it's very real to them. When a player is overcome with it, they think more about not messing up, than on what they're suppose to be doing.

I commented yesterday that Moriah Jefferson experienced the same fear her freshman year, but she over came it. Some posters here had noted the fact the she still lacks confidence. Kiah Stokes (I'm still a huge fan) wore those same shoes. Her senior year, she still had self confidence issues. On the other hand, players like Taurasi, Bird, Elliott & Sales never had that problem. The lack of self confidence has kept people from doing things since the dawn of man. Just ask Javaman. He's been here the whole time. :cool:

Geno seeks Confidence kids--the big ego kid---the I'm the best kid--but you had better be a team player. All humans have some level of self doubt--if they will admit it. Confidence come from
doing the best and having been told over and over --you are the best. A player can arrive at Gampel with great confidence--and find out Geno expect more or better. That's a tough spot for a 17, 18, 19, 20 year old to find themselves in--confidence wane's. (unless of course you are DT)

I love the Javaman comment!! Still chuckling.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And least we forget, not only did she hit an important 3 in the MD game early in the year, but she also had the most important assists in the NCAA championship game! The last one, to the graduating senior!:):cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The issue with Chong I think as other say is the confidence that comes and goes, and the worst thing she does in games through her first three years is constantly look at the bench. Every player makes mistakes, but after their freshman struggles they are supposed to stop checking with the bench every play, and just get on with it. I think that, more than the mistake itself is what sends Geno toward his bench to get someone else into the game.

Reaction Score
Well, this seems to suggest that Geno will give Saniya point guard responsibilities starting out, but, clearly, he's got Plan B in the back of his mind for December if need be.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The issue with Chong I think as other say is the confidence that comes and goes, and the worst thing she does in games through her first three years is constantly look at the bench. Every player makes mistakes, but after their freshman struggles they are supposed to stop checking with the bench every play, and just get on with it. I think that, more than the mistake itself is what sends Geno toward his bench to get someone else into the game.

Looking to the bench or extending the off arm up and appearing to signal something are both like someone saying "I...uh..." I've always thought Saniya was better as an "off guard", because it uses her real shooting talent and slithery speed to advantage.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

It also assumes that she has the ability to play through her mistakes. I don't believe that she does. I'm hoping that she proves me wrong, but I won't be holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom