Adamec article featuring Lexi | The Boneyard

Adamec article featuring Lexi

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"He explained something about a screen on defense and I jumped the wrong way and he yelled at me," Gordon said. "It was just a bad, bad moment." I'll bet.

"Lexi's a really, really smart kid and very instinctive," Auriemma said. "She knows how to play. She makes shots. She has all that, but she can't keep up right now. That's going to be an issue until she can play at this pace. Or we'll have to slow down just for her and we're not going to do that."

Keep digging Lexi!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great article. :D:D

Besides the Lexi focus, additional morsels.

1) Lexi's sister Myra visiting Miss. St. Might be an interesting down the road scenario.

2) Kerrith Burke's assignment with Golden State and Geno's take is classic.

"Auriemma was asked if he had any advice for Golden State coach Steve Kerr for dealing with her. "From what I've seen, Kerith's very fortunate that she's working with the Warriors and not the Spurs," Auriemma said with a laugh. "For somebody in that job, she picked the right place and the right coach. It's a great opportunity. That is pretty cool and I'm really happy for her."

3) "Former UConn center Natalie Butler, who transferred to George Mason for her final season of eligibility after receiving her bachelor's degree in May, has been named to the Atlantic-10 Conference preseason third team by the league coaches"

Reaction Score
"He explained something about a screen on defense and I jumped the wrong way and he yelled at me," Gordon said. "It was just a bad, bad moment." I'll bet.

"Lexi's a really, really smart kid and very instinctive," Auriemma said. "She knows how to play. She makes shots. She has all that, but she can't keep up right now. That's going to be an issue until she can play at this pace. Or we'll have to slow down just for her and we're not going to do that."
Every fall, we hear these stories about freshmen vs. Geno, but every year, I continue to be amazed. The guy is really, really tough; the kids eventually if painfully learn how to respond. Over the next couple of years, their game improves astronomically, their mental toughness improves even more. Year after year after year, same old, same old, but always new. the guy's a magician....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"...but she can't keep up right now".

This speaks solely to conditioning. Players upon attending UConn find out at their first practice there is WCBB pace and then there is UConn pace. As Auriemma has said, "I'm trying to get you to understand the pace of play. That when you jog, you get very good at jogging. Then you become the best jogging team in the country.".

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lexi Gordon: "When I got here, I learned quickly what was playing hard in my mind was a lot different than what playing hard in Coach's mind was."

Brianna Banks: "I was most curious about what the intensity level would be like here. I didn't have an idea about how hard we would be asked to go. So that was the big thing with me. That question was answered the first day I arrived." Another quote, paraphrasing: "I thought I played hard, but I learned that my hard was not their hard."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"...but she can't keep up right now".

This speaks solely to conditioning. Players upon attending UConn find out at their first practice there is WCBB pace and then there is UConn pace. As Auriemma has said, "I'm trying to get you to understand the pace of play. That when you jog, you get very good at jogging. Then you become the best jogging team in the country.".
"Can't keep up" could mean that she has to think about things, rather than doing them instinctively, but that doesn't fit with the context. Geno says she has a good basketball mind. It's nice to hear some compliments. Lexi just need to improve her conditioning--as most of our freshman do each and every year.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
"Can't keep up" could mean that she has to think about things, rather than doing them instinctively, but that doesn't fit with the context. Geno says she has a good basketball mind. It's nice to hear some compliments. Lexi just need to improve her conditioning--as most of our freshman do each and every year.
Yes. I'm glad he prefaced his remark with some positives. Hearing that you can't keep up has got to sting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom