Adama Not an All American? | The Boneyard

Adama Not an All American?

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
With all due respect for Edney, Jackson-Davis, Miller and Timme, who had great years, Adama deserves some respect.
He has outplayed Miller and Timme head to head demonstrably.
I cannot find him on any 1st, 2nd or 3rd team All-America lists.
He did receive and Honorable Mention on AP (along with Kalkbrenner).
Kolek (different position) was on most 2nd or 3rd teams.
Just something else to give more incentive for the Final.
“They thought they could win. They could not.”

Reaction Score
Similar to the blue blood discussion, if they bring #5 home tonight, I could not care less about whether some sports writers thought he was an all-american. I'm guessing Sanogo feels the same way.
you took the words off of my finger tips. As long as Adama becomes a National Champion after tonight's game, that is all that matters. I thought Kemba should have won BEPOY in 2011. But if anybody gave me the option of going back in time to give Kemba that award, I wouldn't change a thing. I think him being snubbed was much better in the larger picture of things turned him into a demon that carried UConn to a national championship in 2011.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
National Championship is all that counts.

Reaction Score

CBS Sports is one outlet that had Sanogo as third team All-American. I know they do their voting after the Elite 8 though, which may be different from others.

Also, small thing but have seen people post an incorrect version of that Sanogo quote multiple times. The actual line is "They thought they had a chance to win the game. They did not"

Reaction Score
Those three guys had better regular seasons than Adama (AA list got announced at the end of conf tournaments on 3/14). AS has been a MONSTER in the NCAA tournament and had that been factored in he surely would have been on one of the 3 teams as opposed to honorable mention.

Jim

Reaction Score
It is always nice to be recognized for excellence, but at the end of the day voting is basically a beauty contest. What really matters is what happens on the court and the score when time runs out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
With all due respect for Edney, Jackson-Davis, Miller and Timme, who had great years, Adama deserves some respect.
He has outplayed Miller and Timme head to head demonstrably.
I cannot find him on any 1st, 2nd or 3rd team All-America lists.
He did receive and Honorable Mention on AP (along with Kalkbrenner).
Kolek (different position) was on most 2nd or 3rd teams.
Just something else to give more incentive for the Final.
“They thought they could win. They could not.”
It's ok. He's going to be Most Outstanding Player of the tournament.

Reaction Score
Those three guys had better regular seasons than Adama (AA list got announced at the end of conf tournaments on 3/14). AS has been a MONSTER in the NCAA tournament and had that been factored in he surely would have been on one of the 3 teams as opposed to honorable mention.
Same with National Coach of the Year. I'm sure Smart would gladly give back that award to be where Hurley is now.

Reaction Score
Adama's Tournament performance has made him a lot of money for the future.... His present focus is on the big trophy.. Not personal accolades.

Reaction Score
Adama's Tournament performance has made him a lot of money for the future.... His present focus is on the big trophy.. Not personal accolades.
I believe there is good evidence that NBA teams overpay for players on championship teams. So you are right for both him and Hawk

Reaction Score
he also has a great support system. I am not just talking about the coaches at UConn and the former players who played in the NBA. I am talking about Jonathan Kuminga, who is a good friend of Adama Sanogo.

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score

CBS Sports is one outlet that had Sanogo as third team All-American. I know they do their voting after the Elite 8 though, which may be different from others.

Also, small thing but have seen people post an incorrect version of that Sanogo quote multiple times. The actual line is "They thought they had a chance to win the game. They did not"
Thanks for the update.

Reaction Score
Adama exposed Timme and cost him a lot of money.
Adama played well for sure. I don't know how much money he cost Timme. Timme will have a lucrative career playing basketball somewhere if it's not the NBA. I like both Adama and Timme and wish them nothing but success in their futures.

Reaction Score
Adama has over 1250 career points and over 650 career rebounds over his 3 year career at uconn. Not many other bigs have done that in 3 years (most of those coming in 2 years actually)....all while shooting an insane percentage from the field. The only uconn center I can think of in the modern era who has these type of career stats in 3 years is Okafor, and he is one of the best college players we've seen. Adama has had a great career here and I have a feeling he's going to put a big exclamation point on it tonight.

Reaction Score
We'll see. The tournament run doesn't change the fact that he is still a low post player who is undersized for that position at 6'9". There isn't very much NBA low post scoring these days. His size is more suited to the 4 that doesn't really match his skillset

Reaction Score
If Adama would stay, he would certainly be our next AA, and probably Hawk.

Just have to wait for AK or Clingan now. My money is on AK as he will probably stick around longer. Also right now he is getting huge media exposure as a freshman due to our success. After tonight everyone will know Alex Karaban, the freshman's name.

Reaction Score
We'll see. The tournament run doesn't change the fact that he is still a low post player who is undersized for that position at 6'9". There isn't very much NBA low post scoring these days. His size is more suited to the 4 that doesn't really match his skillset
Not saying he has established himself as a lottery pick for all of the reasons stated re: the current NBA prototypes.. I do think the Tournament platform vs a variety of different bigs/styles has shown some expanded versatility that perhaps had not been associated with him before by NBA scouts.. Is his ceiling G-League?? Don't know.. Not betting against him to improve on his initial landing spot whenever/wherever that may happen..

In the meantime.. Lets take care of business tonite.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Adama exposed Timme and cost him a lot of money.
Did he? For one thing, Timme wasn't covering Sanogo. I'm also pretty sure Timme was projected as a 2nd round pick before the Tournament.

Playing four seasons, he's old for a college prospect, he's not great defensively, doesn't have the range that most NBA GMs like for a Big, and his post footwork is good for only as long as the refs don't see him alternate his pivot foot three times.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If Adama would stay, he would certainly be our next AA, and probably Hawk.

Just have to wait for AK or Clingan now. My money is on AK as he will probably stick around longer. Also right now he is getting huge media exposure as a freshman due to our success. After tonight everyone will know Alex Karaban, the freshman's name.
Karaban will be 21 in November. The length of his tenure very much hinges on next year's results.

Reaction Score
Did he? For one thing, Timme wasn't covering Sanogo. I'm also pretty sure Timme was projected as a 2nd round pick before the Tournament.

Playing four seasons, he's old for a college prospect, he's not great defensively, doesn't have the range that most NBA GMs like for a Big, and his post footwork is good for only as long as the refs don't see him alternate his pivot foot three times.
2nd Round to playing in Turkey now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom