Adam Silver: Two Dominant Teams Not Great For NBA | The Boneyard

Adam Silver: Two Dominant Teams Not Great For NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In general, I agree with those who say that UConn's dominance of women's college basketball is not a bad thing for the sport as a whole. However, I cannot completely dismiss the contrary argument (which might be called the "Shaughnessy view"). Really, don't most of you think that there would be more interest in WCBB if there were two, three, or four teams at the top level who were seriously competitive with each other, rather than one team that is head-and-shoulders above everyone else?

In this connection, did any of you notice NBA Commissioner Adam Silver's comment to the effect that he is not thrilled with Kevin Durant's signing with the Golden State Warriors. He said he doesn't think a situation where Cleveland in the East and GSW in the West are far above everyone else in the league. He would like to see the next labor agreement structured to provide more incentives for "competitive balance".

With the news of UConn signing Mikayla Coombs, I am starting to think that it might be a good thing for the sport, and for public interest in the games, if Notre Dame gets Megan Walker. I have a hunch that most of you will not agree.

The best link I can give for Silver's comments is "basketball.realgm.com", which I suspect is not a direct link. It appears that he made the comment on July 11 or 12, so you can probably find it by searching for it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In general, I agree with those who say that UConn's dominance of women's college basketball is not a bad thing for the sport as a whole. However, I cannot completely dismiss the contrary argument (which might be called the "Shaughnessy view"). Really, don't most of you think that there would be more interest in WCBB if there were two, three, or four teams at the top level who were seriously competitive with each other, rather than one team that is head-and-shoulders above everyone else?

In this connection, did any of you notice NBA Commissioner Adam Silver's comment to the effect that he is not thrilled with Kevin Durant's signing with the Golden State Warriors. He said he doesn't think a situation where Cleveland in the East and GSW in the West are far above everyone else in the league. He would like to see the next labor agreement structured to provide more incentives for "competitive balance".

With the news of UConn signing Mikayla Coombs, I am starting to think that it might be a good thing for the sport, and for public interest in the games, if Notre Dame gets Megan Walker. I have a hunch that most of you will not agree.

The best link I can give for Silver's comments is "basketball.realgm.com", which I suspect is not a direct link. It appears that he made the comment on July 11 or 12, so you can probably find it by searching for it.
Wash your mouth out! for that last penultimate statement!

College teams depend so much on conference play for excitement that I don't see it as an issue - and there were four pretty dominant teams last year - ND, SC, Baylor, and Uconn with 3 losses between them going into the NCAA. That the other three failed to take care of business is the only reason that it looked quite so lopsided at the FF. Unless you are advocating for a one and done situation in the women's game, there will continue to be the Taurasi, Moore, Parker, Griner, and Stewart situations where they 'dominate' the competition for a few years. EDD would have fallen into that category as well probably had she decided to go to a good team rather than Delaware when she left Uconn.

Reaction Score

Actually Superteams don't bother Shaughnessy much. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Link

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I guess in Mr. Silver's mind those years of Boston dominance, those years where Magic and Bird played each other year after year, and those years where Jordan won all those championship were the death knell for The Association. Let us pray for the continued health of the NBA.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You know the gall of this owner hired lackey just riles me, and his bluster is the noise of ownership. I hate to break it to these guys in that deep pocket boys club that the NBA is not an owners league or even a team league, but a player driven league. None of them complained when new greedy owners shoved franchises down the throats of us fans in places like Seattle, Minnesota, Memphis and New Orleans. They just smiled and shared in the franchise fees. Now clearly for years players have been ruled by agents and shoe companies, and in order for players to cash in they have to listen to those voices. Voices like Nike and Under Armor. Durant, eschewing Under Armor, still chose a Nike ruled team like the Warriors. So what? His money making window shortens with every dribble and could end with the next out of bounds play. While owners just pass on ownership to scions. Fans like to see the players play, and not hear rich owners complain about how spoiled players want to get richer.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
LeBron James is good for basketball. He's made the finals every year, and sometimes he's won thrillers (2013 against the Spurs, this year against the Warriors). Michael Jordan was amazing for basketball. Magic and Larry were wonderful for basketball.

Wave after wave of greatness has come through the NBA, and it's all been positive in its impact to the game.

When the Warriors were 73-9, people got League Pass to be able to see all Dub games. Add Durant, and even more records are conceivable. And still more folks will drop the $180 to see it all...and the great LeBron James, of course. Now THAT is good business and good for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom