AD David Benedict 5/11 Interview with FOX 61 (Video) | The Boneyard

AD David Benedict 5/11 Interview with FOX 61 (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. He touched on realignment in a big way.

Video is at the following link: FOX 61 and UConn Athletic Department team up for scholarship program

"...whether the Big 12 makes a decision to add this summer or they don't, something is going to happen next year and I think we're in a great geographical position for a conference like a Big 12. But regardless of whether it's the Big 12 or the American or anyone, we're going to be a great member institution for whatever conference that we're in and I'm excited about the future. I think that we're doing all the right things."

Reaction Score
If that does not put some minds on this board at ease, I don't know what will.

Please don't say Louisville. Just don't.

Reaction Score
Here's the deal - as of now it's basically Big 12 or bust..unless something comes out of the blue.

I have not doubt Benedict is right in that the university is putting its best foot forward. They're trying like hell. But for the near term it's Big 12 or bust.

Reaction Score
UConn is either holding a full house or we are bluffing....based on this interview I think we've got the right cards

AD Benedict was too confident when asked about realignment. Notice the sly smile, the steepling of his hands and the same answer repeated "I think we are doing all the right things." He clearly felt no need to justify what UConn has done. Why? Because winners do not need to explain what they did to gain inclusion...that burden is on the programs that fall short.

My guess is most of the ADs now know what the conference realignment score is....it may not have been put on the scoreboard yet for the fans to see but the insiders know. He hedged a little bit on whether the Big12 would expand but AD Benedict struck me as someone who knows more than he is saying....

Reaction Score
Benedict was running the day to day operations of an SEC athletic department before he came here.

I don't think he accepts the job unless there was some indication during the interview that something was going to move in the near future.

Every time he talks about conference realignment he looks....sly? Excited? I dunno. There's something there.

Reaction Score
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. He touched on realignment in a big way.

Video is at the following link: FOX 61 and UConn Athletic Department team up for scholarship program

"...whether the Big 12 makes a decision to add this summer or they don't, something is going to happen next year and I think we're in a great geographical position for a conference like a Big 12. But regardless of whether it's the Big 12 or the American or anyone, we're going to be a great member institution for whatever conference that we're in and I'm excited about the future. I think that we're doing all the right things."
Thinking B1G

Reaction Score
There's nothing he could know for certain.

He comes across as quietly confident because he knows UConn is attractive for all the reasons discussed and he seems to firmly believe that CR isn't done.

Reaction Score
It isn't done. Delany even implied, insinuated, whatever, that it is not done.

Reaction Score
He said the only thing he could say whether he knows something or not. Not a big believer in tea leaves myself.

Reaction Score
He said the only thing he could say whether he knows something or not. Not a big believer in tea leaves myself.

Here's the part I think is most telling.

....... something is going to happen next year and I think we're in a great geographical position for a conference like a Big 12.

The current info says the Big 12 will soon be ready to announce the teams they will invite THIS YEAR. So what I am hearing our AD say it's next year we will find out where we are going and it will be a conference LIKE the Big 12 (think P5).

That's not tea leaves people, that's dark roast with an espresso shot. This is B1G news.:D

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Here's the part I think is most telling.

.. something is going to happen next year and I think we're in a great geographical position for a conference like a Big 12.

The current info says the Big 12 will soon be ready to announce the teams they will invite THIS YEAR. So what I am hearing our AD say it's next year we will find out where we are going and it will be a conference LIKE the Big 12 (think P5).

That's not tea leaves people, that's dark roast with an espresso shot. This is B1G news.:D
I've heard the "next year" thing a few months ago as well. I don't have details and don't know what to make of it - at time I thought that meant we'd be in a new conference by next year (because of the Big 12 likely expanding this summer), but maybe a lot of musical chairs about to happen and they expect us to land in the ACC?

Reaction Score
We're taking him too literally about the words "next year."

He meant it differently I believe.

As in, it will happen next year, or any year. But it WILL happen. Realignment will continue is his pint. Next year OR the year after that OR the year after that.

Reaction Score
I love the fact that the interviewer just came out and asked the question on everyone's mind. And then when he didn't get the answer he was necessarily looking for, he asked again. I think Benedict has his information and knows what we are doing behind the scenes. I like that we are taking the high road, as opposed to the public parade coming from the competition. Let's just hope it works out for us this time.

Reaction Score
I read that as Big 12 is going to do something next year. UConn and Cincy make the most sense for the Big 12. Just get it done already.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The best part of that interview was that Warde Manuel wasn't in it.

Reaction Score
The best part of that interview was that Warde Manuel wasn't in it.

OK
freescooter_281.jpg

Reaction Score
We're taking him too literally about the words "next year."

He meant it differently I believe.

As in, it will happen next year, or any year. But it WILL happen. Realignment will continue is his pint. Next year OR the year after that OR the year after that.
"next year" sounds pretty specific. He could have just said "in the near future".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom