AD Dave Benedict | The Boneyard

AD Dave Benedict

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
It’s ok to say it. The best AD since Big Lou. Way better than the “rock star” and the “empty suit”. Love him or hate him, he gets stuff done.

1. Replaced the Broyle’s award winner with an adult. I think that Randy deserves at least another year to see if his development approach is going to work. Momentum in scheduling, will provide credibility and improvements in recruiting.
2. Replaced Ollie with the best coach that was on the market, and an unbelievable fit for UConn. One that can recruit high-level players, develop, and retain.
3. Got the Olympic sports back in a league that has LOCAL relevance. Local is huge, something that BC, Syracuse, and Rutgers can’t claim in my opinion. Big risk with football going Indy, but the schedule looks awesome. Should see a recruiting and fan base interest uptick!
4. Put together an incredible football schedule for 2020 in 3 months, and appears even better for 2021 and beyond. P5’s moving their schedules around to work with us.
5. Leveraging NYC. BBall, Fball weekend, wow!

Proves that the brand is still very strong, but band alone won’t get it done. My support never waivers, but my excitement level for the next few years is off the charts.

Great job, AD David Benedict. Have at it, Boneyard.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I’d pump the brakes here. The Edsall hire hasn’t produced a FBS win in two years, I wouldn’t be patting him on the back for that. He moved us to the Big East but 4 and 5 on your list are problems created by an action he took, not to mention the home games for next year are atrocious (which was to be expected). He also goes pretty much ghost for months at a time with zero visibility to the fan base. I’m as happy as anyone that I’ll get to blackout on The Grove in 364 days but I think calling him the best AD in the modern era based on the above criteria is pretty ridiculous.

Reaction Score
You don’t think the Rock Star is in DB’s league?What about these crowd pleasing moves in Ann Arbor? :)

10/25/19 “Michigan adds home games with Hawaii in 2022 & East Carolina in 2023; & cancels home/home series w/UCLA in same seasons”

I guess Warde is playing in a cover band now.

Reaction Score
It seems like he's pretty capable. I also like how he goes completely silent, seemingly just to drive certain posters crazy. When they've all but run him out of town, he comes out with something great and acts like it was nothing.

Yes, he still needs to force Edsall to get the help he needs or replace him.

Reaction Score
AD Dave has done a decent job so far, but this far, the Edsall hire looks like a bust. If they lose to UMASS this weekend, he should start making calls. To who? No idea, but there has to be a better HC at this point available than Randy

Reaction Score
AD Dave has done a decent job so far, but this far, the Edsall hire looks like a bust. If they lose to UMASS this weekend, he should start making calls. To who? No idea, but there has to be a better HC at this point available than Randy
He can consult with the CT coaches association, lol , it worked well the last time !!

Reaction Score
He's definitely better than the last two ADs. But Indiana is the headline of the 2020 home schedule right now. Season tix sales might sink to new lows.

Reaction Score
I’d pump the brakes here. The Edsall hire hasn’t produced a FBS win in two years, I wouldn’t be patting him on the back for that. He moved us to the Big East but 4 and 5 on your list are problems created by an action he took, not to mention the home games for next year are atrocious (which was to be expected). He also goes pretty much ghost for months at a time with zero visibility to the fan base. I’m as happy as anyone that I’ll get to blackout on The Grove in 364 days but I think calling him the best AD in the modern era based on the above criteria is pretty ridiculous.
Edsall was not Benedict's choice, he only hired him because his hand was forced.

Reaction Score
Jury is still out. But he has currently made the best of a terrible situation and worked like hell to do it. Contrary to a couple of posters here the Big East for all sports is 100% better than the AAC for a variety of reasons. Big East in all sports and indy in football gives us the best chance to WIN in EVERY sport with no Power 5 invite. Big East is a top 3 conference for men's hoop, BET at MSG, ability to recruit at our highest level in men's hoop which we couldn't in the AAC, regional rivalries, lower travel, better seeding, and our women's team won't be dropped to a 2 seed if god forbid they lose a game on the road to a top 5 team. It will also hopefully help the soccer programs stop their slid but I fear only coaching changes there are the answer.

The big question for football remaining will be a tv deal and if we can get a bowl if we actually somehow start winning games again. But no question we can put together a more attractive schedule with the plan they revealed in the Courant. Home and homes with mid level power 5 and regional rivals (BC, Cuse, Army, UMass), BYU, and good buy in $$$ games that would make enticing travel for fans is inherently better than straight up AAC membership. And it's obvious by now to everyone that UConn cannot recruit good enough talent as an AAC member in any sport. It's just not a desirable conference for the type of areas we need to recruit in a host of sports. Again this is totally obvious to everyone by now besides about 10 posters on this board who think if we just keep on the AAC train and losing by 40 to Tulane every year someday we will be rewarded with a Big 10/ACC invite. Not happening. We have a better shot at a life raft being championship level in the northeast centric Big East in hoop and winning 7-8 games as an Indy in football than we do being a doormat in both in the AAC.

But Benedict will be judged on wins. A normal weekend of UConn athletics is starting to look like a typical Rutgers weekend. Losses everywhere. But he has positioned us the best he possibly can to start winning again. It's up to the coaches to start making it happen. And if not it's time for AD Dave to put some of them out to pasture.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You don’t think the Rock Star is in DB’s league?What about these crowd pleasing moves in Ann Arbor? :)

10/25/19 “Michigan adds home games with Hawaii in 2022 & East Carolina in 2023; & cancels home/home series w/UCLA in same seasons”

I guess Warde is playing in a cover band now.

Oh boy. Cancelled a series with UCLA. Warde sucked, but does this really matter when you have Ohio State, Michigan St, Penn St, Wisconsin et al every year?

Reaction Score
So I checked the schedules. Must say I am surprised. Independents have a hard time winning. Guess we'll see.

Reaction Score

The home schedule next year is no less interesting to our fanbase than if we were still in the american, and its a situation when he had absolutely no leverage. I think its safe to say its going to improve..

The not talking enough complaint isn't a real issue its just something for people who are bored to complain about on message boards. Those same people would complain about anything he said if he spoke more.

The football struggles are really the one knock against him so far, and it is a big one. But outside of that he's done a lot of impressive stuff.

Reaction Score
Oh boy. Cancelled a series with UCLA. Warde sucked, but does this really matter when you have Ohio State, Michigan St, Penn St, Wisconsin et al every year?
Oh how the memory fades. Warde was also the guy who was partying and dining in the Bahamas at a BB tournament while Louisville was out hustling UCONN for an ACC spot.

Reaction Score
Jury is still out. But he has currently made the best of a terrible situation and worked like hell to do it. Contrary to a couple of posters here the Big East for all sports is 100% better than the AAC for a variety of reasons. Big East in all sports and indy in football gives us the best chance to WIN in EVERY sport with no Power 5 invite. Big East is a top 3 conference for men's hoop, BET at MSG, ability to recruit at our highest level in men's hoop which we couldn't in the AAC, regional rivalries, lower travel, better seeding, and our women's team won't be dropped to a 2 seed if god forbid they lose a game on the road to a top 5 team. It will also hopefully help the soccer programs stop their slid but I fear only coaching changes there are the answer.

The big question for football remaining will be a tv deal and if we can get a bowl if we actually somehow start winning games again. But no question we can put together a more attractive schedule with the plan they revealed in the Courant. Home and homes with mid level power 5 and regional rivals (BC, Cuse, Army, UMass), BYU, and good buy in $$$ games that would make enticing travel for fans is inherently better than straight up AAC membership. And it's obvious by now to everyone that UConn cannot recruit good enough talent as an AAC member in any sport. It's just not a desirable conference for the type of areas we need to recruit in a host of sports. Again this is totally obvious to everyone by now besides about 10 posters on this board who think if we just keep on the AAC train and losing by 40 to Tulane every year someday we will be rewarded with a Big 10/ACC invite. Not happening. We have a better shot at a life raft being championship level in the northeast centric Big East in hoop and winning 7-8 games as an Indy in football than we do being a doormat in both in the AAC.

But Benedict will be judged on wins. A normal weekend of UConn athletics is starting to look like a typical Rutgers weekend. Losses everywhere. But he has positioned us the best he possibly can to start winning again. It's up to the coaches to start making it happen. And if not it's time for AD Dave to put some of them out to pasture.

Great post and spot on. I share your enthusiasm.

Reaction Score
Oh how the memory fades. Warde was also the guy who was partying and dining in the Bahamas at a BB tournament while Louisville was out hustling UCONN for an ACC spot.
Relatively speaking, Michigan sucks this year. Seems last few years they have had some terrible losses. Harbaugh AND Warde should be worried IMO. If they have four or five losses in the conference again like in 2017, Warde or Harbaugh could be jobless. Getting blown out last year by Florida didn't help either.

Reaction Score
He certainly made a meal out of sheet sandwich. No two ways about it in retrospect. BoT and leadership left him with no plan while back slapping each other over the BB NBE coup, and he went out and fixed it for football. I don’t like his non-engagement Style at all. It’s stinks. But, perhaps when you’ve got no support you just go out do your business quietly and get it done. I’d love to know what really was going on behind closed doors. So, yes, I take back all the rotten assessments, save his public relations skill.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom