Actual Dates of the WCBB Tournament | The Boneyard

Actual Dates of the WCBB Tournament

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This year marks a change of the format for the Women's tournament. The tournament is a bit more compressed. 3 different cities as host-San Antonio, Austin, San Marcos.

Round 1 (Alamodome, Bill Greely Arena, Frank Erwin Center, University Events Center and UTSA Convention Center)
Sunday, March 21
Monday, March 22

Round 2 (Alamodome, Bill Greely Arena and UTSA Convention Center)
Tuesday March 23
Wednesday, March 24

Sweet 16 (Alamodome)
Saturday, March 27
Sunday, March 28

Elite 8 (Alamodome)
Monday, March 29
Tuesday, March 30

Final Four (Alamodome)
Friday, April 2
Sunday, April 4

Not much turnaround from Round 2 to S16 of 3/2 days and 4/3 days for Elite 8 to Final Four.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not much turnaround from Round 2 to S16 of 3/2 days and 4/3 days for Elite 8 to Final Four.
Yeah, but that is the typical turnaround for games in the regular season, and most teams have just played 3 in 3 or 4 in 4 days in conference tournaments So they are playing 2 games in three days and then another 2 in three days and then another two in three days. The two/three or three/four day breaks are plenty long especially considering there is minimal travel/no travel between games. Usually you are losing 12 hours of travel at least between games.

The weird things are going to be the off court stuff, from the initial quarantines, to the odd practice schedules, and the 3 weeks in the same or two different hotel rooms. No one has ever done this before, so will be odd for every team.

Reaction Score
Tournament starts 2 days later than normal (Sunday instead of a Friday) with the days off being reduced by 1 just before the S16 and F4. Most teams would’ve needed that day for travel so I don’t think it’s really any tighter.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Tournament starts 2 days later than normal (Sunday instead of a Friday) with the days off being reduced by 1 just before the S16 and F4. Most teams would’ve needed that day for travel so I don’t think it’s really any tighter.
Reason for the later start is to insure that all teams have self quarantined in their hotel prior to the start of the tournament. I can't remember if it's 4 or 5 days that they must be quarantined, I believe it's 4 upon arrival and must already be in COVID protocol after completion of the Conference Tournament.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I imagine to not compete with the first 2 rounds of the Men's Tourney????

Reaction Score
I imagine to not compete with the first 2 rounds of the Men's Tourney????
Nah I think it was because they knew they needed less time bc of the lack of travel. So to keep the final date the same, start later.
Reducing the schedule also reduces the very long time that the finalists will be there.
Also gives them extra time to get the teams there and tested snd settled.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This year marks a change of the format for the Women's tournament. The tournament is a bit more compressed. 3 different cities as host-San Antonio, Austin, San Marcos.

Round 1 (Alamodome, Bill Greely Arena, Frank Erwin Center, University Events Center and UTSA Convention Center)
Sunday, March 21
Monday, March 22

. . .

Thanks for that, DefBB. I had just assumed it would be Th-Sun or Fr-Mon, which cheesed me off, as I'll be on the road Th-Sun. This is much more to my liking, just need to DVR Sunday.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just thinking about this 18 day, and wondering how stressed CD is figuring out figuring out the games and exercises to fill all the days of sitting around the hotel rooms. She does it for all the road trips to keep the team loose and engaged, but not she has ever done such a long trip before! The European trips are always full of sightseeing and travel and are a breeze compared to this.

Reaction Score
All AQ teams arrive in SA on Tuesday
At-large teams arrive on Wednesday

On the men's side, teams must have 7 days of negative tests before getting to SA. I think it's the same for the women.

Reaction Score
The unfortunate part of the tournament schedule this year:
Saturday/Sunday March 27-28: Men's AND Women's Sweet 16
Monday/Tuesday March 29-30: Men's AND Women's Regional Finals

Reaction Score
Just thinking about this 18 day, and wondering how stressed CD is figuring out figuring out the games and exercises to fill all the days of sitting around the hotel rooms. She does it for all the road trips to keep the team loose and engaged, but not she has ever done such a long trip before! The European trips are always full of sightseeing and travel and are a breeze compared to this.
She'll probably be on meds before the first game they play. Watching GA the last few interviews, I think he already is.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
All AQ teams arrive in SA on Tuesday
At-large teams arrive on Wednesday

On the men's side, teams must have 7 days of negative tests before getting to SA. I think it's the same for the women.
Really, that's curious, why did they decide to do that? Upon reflection, the only thing I can think of is to streamline the check in process of 31 AQ teams vs. 33 At-Large teams.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
The AQ teams found out today (or sooner in most cases) that they qualified. The at large teams don't know for sure until the selection show tomorrow. Of course most at large teams are pretty sure already, but still it's nice to give them an extra day to finalize travel.

Reaction Score
With about half the teams checking in Tuesday, tournament officials have the opportunity to review their procedures and to make any necessary updates for Wednesday's check ins.

GA did say a couple days ago in an interview that some 22 teams were staying at his hotel. Think how much smoother the check in process will be on Tuesday and on Wednesday when only 11 teams or so will check in.

In normal times, the teams could mingle in the lobby or outside the hotel as they waited to be the next team to be checked in. Now, they must obviously keep their distance. I wouldn't be surprised if health protocols included sanitizing the lobby and other common areas after each team is checked in. Remember that the team movement to their designated floor will take time since the number of people on an elevator will be limited and controlled. I wouldn't be surprised if some teams entered through a controlled side or back entrance and taken to their designated floor in a freight elevator.

It would be interesting if the NCAA Tournament Procedures for Hotel/Meal/Practice/Meeting/etc. were published.

Reaction Score
Really, that's curious, why did they decide to do that? Upon reflection, the only thing I can think of is to streamline the check in process of 31 AQ teams vs. 33 At-Large teams.
Yes I assume logistics of having to check in 64 teams. Also at-large teams wont know for sure until Monday night. Gives them a day before they have to leave.

Reaction Score
What are AQ teams? I've seen the graphics on fb posts, but could not figure out what AQ stood for? I gathered that it's the teams that won their tournaments?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
It’s a sad day when my own family is arguing with me about the Tournament starting on Monday and then said, “doesn’t the Boneyard have a listing of the full Tournament to see”....

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom