ACL tears can have really bad consequences later | The Boneyard

ACL tears can have really bad consequences later

Reaction Score
Given that female athletes tend to have these more than do men:

If You Tear a Knee Ligament, Arthritis Is Likely to Follow in 10 Years

Dr. Mininder Kocher, an orthopedics professor at Harvard Medical School, has reviewed the available data and determined that the chance of getting arthritis within a decade of tearing a tendon or a ligament in the knee is greater than 50 percent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Dr. Mininder Kocher, an orthopedics professor at Harvard Medical School, has reviewed the available data and determined that the chance of getting arthritis within a decade of tearing a tendon or a ligament in the knee is greater than 50 percent.
Serious/professional athletes are 10X more likely to get osteoarthritis in their knees and hips later in life (40's) than non-athletes, even if those joints were never injured. Worst sports are football, soccer, basketball and gymnastics. Gymnastics is particularly bad for women because of the young ages, abuse of their immature skeletal systems. Running, swimming, cycling, tennis and golf are not so bad (arthritis-wise, anyway).

Knee, ankle, shoulder and hip injuries further increase the arthritis risk. Skiing, snowboarding & skateboarding are bad ones, since the risk of injury is very high.

As an aside, I also saw a study of 12,000 high school and college basketball players - says women college basketball players are 6X more likely to tear their ACL than MCBB players.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Along these lines, I seem to remember Shea being quoted as not having a whole lot of strength/stability (poor word choices but I can't come up with anything) left in her knees at this point. I believe she can't really do certain kinds of exercise or workout moves, though she obviously still keeps herself very fit.

I hope she is as pain-free as possible and can ward off any arthritis for as long as possible!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Son's and daughters may pay for the sins of their fathers. But mothers and fathers pay for the sins of their youth. I know I must sound like a broken record, but the best fields for youngsters to enter is the continually growing health care field. As I've also said before: Osteopathic medicine, audiology, nursing, doctors, ophthalmology, opticians, and on and on. Yes this is a shame, but it's the modern world we've helped to create.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think "Likely to Follow" is an understatement. Maybe it is a DNA tendency. I was told by a doctor back in my weekend warrior days that every injury to my joints and even some severe muscle tears would return to haunt me post 55. Well I am post, post, post 55 and he was right. Every joint which was damaged has arthritis. A muscle tear from a weightlifting challenge even plagues me. Very bad juju!

Reaction Score

Good catch Bags--but Doc Kocher needs to adjust his area of research; Arthritis happens to many who pound their bones together and tear away cartilage and wear ligaments. I played BB well into my 60 until the kids wouldn't play with me any longer. Then I ran and then got lazy. Had a single knee issue and was told--arthritis! Others in my family had arthritis but not in the knees. One is metal the other is looking to be metalized.
However, I am for any study that looks into ACL injuries among women and young boys. Thanks Bags--keep up finding anything on ACL's I'd like to see that issue solved.

Reaction Score
I think "Likely to Follow" is an understatement. Maybe it is a DNA tendency. I was told by a doctor back in my weekend warrior days that every injury to my joints and even some severe muscle tears would return to haunt me post 55. Well I am post, post, post 55 and he was right. Every joint which was damaged has arthritis. A muscle tear from a weightlifting challenge even plagues me. Very bad juju!
Your Warrior Doc told you the secret trick Nature plays upon all of us. A bump or bruise or banging bones or muscles--shows their displeasure with how you treated them 40 years prior. Wasn't it fun to learn the trick and feel it's effect? Won't happen to me--most of us have said--but it did.
Son's and daughters may pay for the sins of their fathers. But mothers and fathers pay for the sins of their youth. I know I must sound like a broken record, but the best fields for youngsters to enter is the continually growing health care field. As I've also said before: Osteopathic medicine, audiology, nursing, doctors, ophthalmology, opticians, and on and on. Yes this is a shame, but it's the modern world we've helped to create.
Jordy: I'm not sure you can blame the modern world maybe you can blame the emphasis on sports or exercise (which in the old world wasn't done--it was called work that was the exercise). I, maybe not as much as you, spent many years in the health related pursuits--and to day I am pleased and sometime awed by what the young and not so young medico's can do to this rotting body. My fathers sister died from appendix issues, have you seen any of that in the last 50 years? I could list 50 more items. But if you are young middle or old today--knee down and praise the scientists and Doctors that got us to this place--and going better.

Reaction Score
Awful. It's bad enough to suffer through the pain of the injury, and then at least a year of rehab. But now we see that the knee itself is on a course to chronic pain and the need for replacement? Heart-rending.

Good Ortho's don't want to replace the knees until 70 and be thankful because those same Orthos can insert cushions and other items in those once non repairable knees --but only for those under 60 or so--that will change.
Another well kept secret is the replaced knee does not work as well as a real knee--and sometimes the recover from the replacement is long long long (for me nightly awake with pain for nearly 2 plus years (I can sell you lots of Oxycontin)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Your Warrior Doc told you the secret trick Nature plays upon all of us. A bump or bruise or banging bones or muscles--shows their displeasure with how you treated them 40 years prior. Wasn't it fun to learn the trick and feel it's effect? Won't happen to me--most of us have said--but it did.

Jordy: I'm not sure you can blame the modern world maybe you can blame the emphasis on sports or exercise (which in the old world wasn't done--it was called work that was the exercise). I, maybe not as much as you, spent many years in the health related pursuits--and to day I am pleased and sometime awed by what the young and not so young medico's can do to this rotting body. My fathers sister died from appendix issues, have you seen any of that in the last 50 years? I could list 50 more items. But if you are young middle or old today--knee down and praise the scientists and Doctors that got us to this place--and going better.
maybe you can blame the emphasis on sports or exercise (which in the old world wasn't done--it was called work that was the exercise).

And that is indeed our modern world, this world we live in.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Serious/professional athletes are 10X more likely to get osteoarthritis in their knees and hips later in life (40's) than non-athletes, even if those joints were never injured. Worst sports are football, soccer, basketball and gymnastics. Gymnastics is particularly bad for women because of the young ages, abuse of their immature skeletal systems. Running, swimming, cycling, tennis and golf are not so bad (arthritis-wise, anyway).

I saw something a year or two ago indicating that runners are actually less likely to develop osteoarthritis in their knees than non-runners. [This runner has arthritis in many joints, but not the knees. Yet.] One of two PhD physicists I've known who went to college on athletic scholarships was a gymnast. I asked her how good she was, and she said not that good, but she was still able to compete in college unlike many better gymnasts. She also had a LOT of back problems, even in her 20's (after college).

Along these lines, I seem to remember Shea being quoted as not having a whole lot of strength/stability (poor word choices but I can't come up with anything) left in her knees at this point. I believe she can't really do certain kinds of exercise or workout moves, though she obviously still keeps herself very fit.

I hope she is as pain-free as possible and can ward off any arthritis for as long as possible!

I vaguely remember Geno, after a game in which Caroline Doty only played five minutes or so, being asked if Caroline's knees were bothering her. Geno said something to the effect, yes, her knees are bothering her and they will for the rest of her life. She and Shea are two peas in a pod, and I hope the pain for both is bearable.

Reaction Score
Is it true that many non-atheletes just live with a torn ACL and no repairs? They then have what is called a "trick knee."
I read that once somewhere. Is that true?
Thanks,

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Good catch Bags--but Doc Kocher needs to adjust his area of research; Arthritis happens to many who pound their bones together and tear away cartilage and wear ligaments. I played BB well into my 60 until the kids wouldn't play with me any longer. Then I ran and then got lazy. Had a single knee issue and was told--arthritis! Others in my family had arthritis but not in the knees. One is metal the other is looking to be metalized.
However, I am for any study that looks into ACL injuries among women and young boys. Thanks Bags--keep up finding anything on ACL's I'd like to see that issue solved.

I was a drummer in a rock band for several years. The pounding my hands took was pretty extreme. That was 50 years ago. The arthritis in my hands today is a constant, and unwanted, companion.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There’s a certain age you reach, and I’m well past that age, when the various aches and pains you feel have a strange familiarity, like visits from inlaws you’re not particularly fond of.

Every now and then, you feel a new, unfamiliar pain. My typical reaction to these new, unwanted guests is, “What the hell is that?”

Thank goodness for ice packs, Advil & yoga.

Reaction Score
I wonder how Britney Hunter is doing physically. That poor young lady was already hobbled with chronic pain while playing for UConn after transferring from Duke. She could only practice something like every other day, and I seem to recall that she could only play for 10 minutes in any given game. And that was while she was in her early twenties. I wonder what has become of her since her playing days ended. Is this what she's dealing with? There were articles at the time about her that included advice from Shea Ralph on how to deal with constant pain. And now we see that it gets worse. And on top of that, the replacement knee surgery only lasts a decade or so.

Awful.

Reaction Score
I wonder how Britney Hunter is doing physically. That poor young lady was already hobbled with chronic pain while playing for UConn after transferring from Duke. She could only practice something like every other day, and I seem to recall that she could only play for 10 minutes in any given game. And that was while she was in her early twenties. I wonder what has become of her since her playing days ended. Is this what she's dealing with? There were articles at the time about her that included advice from Shea Ralph on how to deal with constant pain. And now we see that it gets worse. And on top of that, the replacement knee surgery only lasts a decade or so.

Awful.
\

You just brought up two wonderful and courageous individuals: Geno in his compassion and caring for a young lady he previously recruited, then at Duke needing care, he brought her to Uconn knowing she may not be a full time player. She, Brit Hunter took the offered surgery, more successful than not but still leaving her only a fraction of her abilities. Geno, this alone earned him a spot in Basketball heaven, allowed her to practice or play as she alone determined she could. Her moments in games gave us glimpses of the fantastic player she may have been. Sorry, I get really emotional about this interaction between Geno and Ms Hunter. Wonderful wonderful. God bless Geno. This among all of his community support he provides--makes up for all his stupid comments.

Reaction Score

Awful.
4th grade teacher in NY (LinkedIn profile doesn't say how she's doing physically). Lists "Basketball" in small print as an "activity" while at UConn 2004-08. No mention of Duke, anthough she WAS a waitress for a while. If the YouTube video is indeed "our" Brittany Hunter, she doesn't seem to have a problem running...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/brittany-hunter-1a019822/

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom