Accurate Assessment | The Boneyard

Accurate Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is easy. Yes. Let the excuses begin.

He will get a pass this year and by March everyone will forget that he lost to Wagner and Northeastern with Gilbert and Larrier! (How does UConn lose to Wagner and Northeastern with or without those guys?). 2 miraculous shots are what stands between Ollie being UConn head coach and being a nameless assistant in the NBA.

Reaction Score
This thread will not go well. Too many BY'ers refuse to believe that the program (and coach subsequently) is indeed underachieving after 2014.

Reaction Score
I read this article and i feel exactly as the writer does. Ollie does not use his talent properly. He has no idea how to play against a 2-3 zone or a press and its been like this even when Bazz was here. SMU beat us twice using a zone and Louisville did the same plus they pressed us. We know what West Virginia and Oklahoma St. did when they pressed us. There is very little movement without the ball. I really miss JC's offense.

Ollie wants to run a pro style motion offense giving the guards the option to go one on on one and create but against a 2-3 zone this doesn't work. We have no rebounders and that's been a major issue. He wants to go small with stretch 4 but you need a monster rebounder big at the 5 and we don't have that. If you have 4 guys all on the three point line whos rebounding Brimah? Facey? Enoch? Its usually 1 guys being boxed out by 4 guys.

Last edited:

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Teams beat us 2 simple ways: playing zone and using a full-court press. We don't have the ballhandlers or skills to break either.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Article is completely correct. I don't even think it's worthy of much debate. Ollie had never coached at any level before a short stint with JC. Moore and Freeman...no experience coaching. Experienced coaches have a long history to draw on, with tactics and strategies for every situation and every type of team. They adapt to the players and the opponent. UConn doesn't anymore. It runs the same offense and defense no matter who we play or who is on the team. It's painful to watch.

Calhoun used to switch defenses ten times in a half. Ollie almost never does. Calhoun has had teams that killed you inside, killed you outside, killed you with motion, killed you with penetration. Ollie seems to run an offense that assumes every player is Michael Jordan and can create his own offense.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Im not going to say Ollie has been great recently, but at the same time I'm not ready to condemn him either. Like I've said other times on this board, Ollie can't make shots for these guys. He cant rebound for these guys. There have been plenty of times, and I noticed this a lot during the BU game. They ran great plays. Got the look they wanted and shots didn't go. How is that Ollie's fault?

He's not Jim Calhoun. We get it. No one is. Ollie won us a title 2 seasons ago. Are we that quick to forget?? Does he have room to improve? Sure. Is the coaching staff lacking? I believe so, yes. I don't put this all on Ollie.

Reaction Score
He's not Jim Calhoun. We get it. No one is. Ollie won us a title 2 seasons ago. Are we that quick to forget?? Does he have room to improve? Sure. Is the coaching staff lacking? I believe so, yes. I don't put this all on Ollie.[/QUOTE]

Your missing the whole point of the article then. Yes he won a title with a great 5 game stretch (excluding the close St. Joseph's game) other than that he has been a below average coach. Jalens shot prevented us from about three straight NIT's, if we even make the NIT this year. Are you okay with this? Those 5 games in March of 2014 hide the fact that he's been below average and does not develop players. This is the point of the article. Sorry but everything falls on the coach. Thats the way sports goes.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
After just reading the article...it's easy to point to some "lucky" plays or whatever. I hate that. I don't think that says anything about him as a coach.
Also - the Gibbs argument in the article. I watched every game last yr. Gibbs got a TON of good looks and didn't make them. How in the world is that Ollie's fault? How is it Ollie's fault that Purvis cant convert bunnies? I also believe Purvis shot close to 40% from 3 last yr. Hamilton had a lot of good looks too that didn't go in...I don't see this as Ollie's fault. I really don't.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
He's not Jim Calhoun. We get it. No one is. Ollie won us a title 2 seasons ago. Are we that quick to forget?? Does he have room to improve? Sure. Is the coaching staff lacking? I believe so, yes. I don't put this all on Ollie.

Your missing the whole point of the article then. Yes he won a title with a great 5 game stretch (excluding the close St. Joseph's game) other than that he has been a below average coach. Jalens shot prevented us from about three straight NIT's, if we even make the NIT this year. Are you okay with this? Those 5 games in March of 2014 hide the fact that he's been below average and does not develop players. This is the point of the article. Sorry but everything falls on the coach. Thats the way sports goes.[/QUOTE]
How is it Ollie's fault Gibbs forgot to shoot? These guys got a LOT of good looks they just didn't make. UConn hasn't had a deadly 3 point shooter since Bazz/Niels. What happened when they had those guys? They won a title. If Ollie is guilty of anything, it's not recruiting shooters. Hamilton was a slasher/playmaker and was solid at it. He needed another year of college. Gibbs didn't make any shots. Adams had some bad performances...but he also was the best player in Maui.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
This thread will not go well. Too many BY'ers refuse to believe that the program (and coach subsequently) is indeed underachieving after 2014.

I don't think that's true at all.

Most agree, if not all, that we have underachieved and Ollie has to fix some things.

The issue is people turning the opinion into "we need a new head coach" or "Ollie can't get it done, let's start looking for the next hall of famer," etc.

Reaction Score
That article was hilarious. It's like the 8-10 biggest morons here figured out how to put an article online.
Yep, it seemingly is a carefully culled collection of random boneyard posts & opinions. Except; "Jim Calhoun? That old, crotchety guy who yelled all the time and kicked signs at the Garden? That guy was cool, but Ollie was even better"
Yikes. I don't care if you fell of the turnip truck in March of 2014, severely bumped your head & watched your first UConn game, no one ever thought that.

Reaction Score
Someone challenged me recently to go back to read this board in 2013 and 2014. He claimed people were not on Ollie's case, and that they didn't criticize the talent and abilities of the players.

I am seeing the same names in this thread who had crow completely stuffed into their faces a couple years ago, and they are saying the exact same things now that they said back then.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
This is my take. Last Spring I posted on a thread about how good it was to finally get all our scholarships back and finally have a talented, deep roster. Everyone was excited about the New kids coming in and the potential progress of our seniors. But with all the prosperity , things started to happen that led to our current situation, an eight man roster of freshman , underachieving seniors and Enoch.

1. Our best player and " leader" D. Hamilton
Declared for the draft. Huge Factor

2. Hobbs left. In my opinion a Huge Factor

3. The abundance of new talent that was supposed to give us depth and talent to support our seniors was tainted before they got to storrs. Durham, Diarra and Gilbert all came in hurt and can't contribute the way they should . So we finally get to stock up on talent and work with a full deck but it doesn't happen. Huge Factor

4. Larrier ,The kid that was supposed to replace our best guy that declared for the draft gets hurt. Huge factor

5. The Ferrari hasn't shown up and has regressed. Huge factor

This is just my opinion but we have more drama and WTF going on than when we were in actual NCAA trouble . It's just a perfect storm of complete WTF that got us to this point. I mean, how do we get all our scholarships back and end up in worst shape
Than when we had actual sanctions. It's just
a bad string of events and perhaps being a little too charitable . Its just too much. Complete bad luck with maybe a reach or two.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess when the going gets tough, people jump ship.

First, let's go back and look at the recruiting classes: 2013: Samuel (#118), Facey (#66), Brimah (3* NR), 2014: Lubin (3* NR), Cassell (3* NR), Hamilton (#14), 2015: Enoch (#58), Adams (#23), 2016: Gilbert (#34), Durham (#47), Jackson (#80), Diarra (#133), Vital (#144). Transfers: Purvis (#12), Larrier (#43). Out of the 6 players recruited in 2013 and 2014, only 2 are left.

The rankings of each recruiting class: 2013: #40, 5th in AAC. 2014: #44, 3rd in AAC, 2015: #39, 2nd in AAC, 2016: #8, 1st in AAC.

Remember, Ollie was recruiting coming off sanctions and he was not named head coach until the end of the 2012/2013 season. What saved UConn basketball over the past few years have been the transfers: Evans, Kromah, Purvis, Gibbs, Miller, and Larrier. UConn has never had to rely on transfers in the past, but the sanctions, coaching transition, and conference realignment clearly impacted recruiting so Ollie had to go a different route.

Look at this year. I figured this would be a tough start to the year given all of the departures and new players and 3 upper classmen with limited skills. The individual pieces on paper looked good, but the talent needed to be molded into a team as rotations and roles needed to be defined. We started with an 11 man roster with one player, Durham, considered a possibility for a redshirt due to past injuries. Instead, we lost our starting PG (a McD's All-American), another starter who was our leading scorer and rebounder, and a freshman rebounder, all to injury. So we are left with 8 scholarship players, one who probably has to play limited minutes this year. Folks, this is going to be a tough year given all the injuries!

As for Ollie's coaching, I think he can get better. But, I don't understand how people can criticize him for not jumping all over the players given he only has 8 players to work with. I do think we need more coaching experience on the bench, specifically a big man coach, but I don't think a new big man coach was going to fix the flaws in Brimah's and Facey's games. And, I don't think it's Ollie's fault that Purvis, a 5th year senior, continues to step on the out of bounds line.

It's going to be a very tough year to watch UConn basketball, but it happens sometimes. Hopefully, the team surprises us.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

First, let's go back and look at the recruiting classes: 2013: Samuel (#118), Facey (#66), Brimah (3* NR), 2014: Lubin (3* NR), Cassell (3* NR), Hamilton (#14), 2015: Enoch (#58), Adams (#23), 2016: Gilbert (#34), Durham (#47), Jackson (#80), Diarra (#133), Vital (#144). Transfers: Purvis (#12), Larrier (#43). Out of the 6 players recruited in 2013 and 2014, only 2 are left.

The rankings of each recruiting class: 2013: #40, 5th in AAC. 2014: #44, 3rd in AAC, 2015: #39, 2nd in AAC, 2016: #8, 1st in AAC.

Remember, Ollie was recruiting coming off sanctions and he was not named head coach until the end of the 2012/2013 season. What saved UConn basketball over the past few years have been the transfers: Evans, Kromah, Purvis, Gibbs, Miller, and Larrier. UConn has never had to rely on transfers in the past, but the sanctions, coaching transition, and conference realignment clearly impacted recruiting so Ollie had to go a different route.

Look at this year. I figured this would be a tough start to the year given all of the departures and new players and 3 upper classmen with limited skills. The individual pieces on paper looked good, but the talent needed to be molded into a team as rotations and roles needed to be defined. We started with an 11 man roster with one player, Durham, considered a possibility for a redshirt due to past injuries. Instead, we lost our starting PG (a McD's All-American), another starter who was our leading scorer and rebounder, and a freshman rebounder, all to injury. So we are left with 8 scholarship players, one who probably has to play limited minutes this year. Folks, this is going to be a tough year given all the injuries!

As for Ollie's coaching, I think he can get better. But, I don't understand how people can criticize him for not jumping all over the players given he only has 8 players to work with. I do think we need more coaching experience on the bench, specifically a big man coach, but I don't think a new big man coach was going to fix the flaws in Brimah's and Facey's games. And, I don't think it's Ollie's fault that Purvis, a 5th year senior, continues to step on the out of bounds line.

It's going to be a very tough year to watch UConn basketball, but it happens sometimes. Hopefully, the team surprises us.

Great post.

That's almost entirely in line with how i feel.

And add to that, as bad as this year has started, we now have a talented, defined 8-man roster who could DEFINITELY gel and get better THIS year.

It's looked horrible thus far, no question, but it is possible for this group of talented kids to get up to speed and start playing well mid-year, then next year looks that much more promising, or rather based on actual evidence rather than hope and faith.

Reaction Score
Your missing the whole point of the article then. Yes he won a title with a great 5 game stretch (excluding the close St. Joseph's game) other than that he has been a below average coach. Jalens shot prevented us from about three straight NIT's, if we even make the NIT this year. Are you okay with this? Those 5 games in March of 2014 hide the fact that he's been below average and does not develop players. This is the point of the article. Sorry but everything falls on the coach. Thats the way sports goes.
How is it Ollie's fault Gibbs forgot to shoot? These guys got a LOT of good looks they just didn't make. UConn hasn't had a deadly 3 point shooter since Bazz/Niels. What happened when they had those guys? They won a title. If Ollie is guilty of anything, it's not recruiting shooters. Hamilton was a slasher/playmaker and was solid at it. He needed another year of college. Gibbs didn't make any shots. Adams had some bad performances...but he also was the best player in Maui.[/QUOTE]

Wow!!!

In 2012/2013, Ollie took a team that lost Drummond and Lamb to the NBA and Oriahki, Smith, and Bradley to transfer that was 20-14 and 8-10 in the Big East the year before and lead them to 20-10 and 10-8 in the Big East. Had they not been ineligible for the NCAA Tournament, they would have made it as they were #42 in the Sagarins and every team in the BE that year with a winning record made the NCAA Tournament and Cincinnati made it at 9-9. Do you remember our bigs in 2012/2013? Wolf, Olander, Nolan, and maybe Daniels.

What Ollie did in 2012/2013 was miraculous.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
After just reading the article...it's easy to point to some "lucky" plays or whatever. I hate that. I don't think that says anything about him as a coach.
Also - the Gibbs argument in the article. I watched every game last yr. Gibbs got a TON of good looks and didn't make them. How in the world is that Ollie's fault? How is it Ollie's fault that Purvis cant convert bunnies? I also believe Purvis shot close to 40% from 3 last yr. Hamilton had a lot of good looks too that didn't go in...I don't see this as Ollie's fault. I really don't.
Exactly. His point seems to be if we didn't win some key close games they'd have been losses.... well, yeah. So what?

Reaction Score
Let's see. We have the "injuries" excuse. Although Both Larrier and Gilbert were available for mighty Wagner.

We have the Ollie didn't get the job excuse. Though perhaps if Calhoun had had the decency to leave after the season instead of a week before practice Ollie would have been named the coach full time.

Good job on the sanctions excuse. I had forgotten about that and since most players of note stay 1-3 years not sure that we have missed that much.

The always popular it's the players fault is here as expected. It's not like Ollie recruited them or coaches them (actually it is not like he coaches them).

Who's got a new excuse? Do we have the he's still learning? Like we are Central or Hartford High or something. How about we blame it on the bossanova?

Reaction Score

Yes. KO can recruit. We know that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think that's true at all.

Most agree, if not all, that we have underachieved and Ollie has to fix some things.

The issue is people turning the opinion into "we need a new head coach" or "Ollie can't get it done, let's start looking for the next hall of famer," etc.

Bingo. Despite my criticism, I am not advocating for him to lose his job. Hell no. I'm advocating for him to maybe swallow his pride, admit that he doesn't know everything he could or should, and get somebody from outside the program to be his strong #2 guy. He needs to re-evaluate what he's doing, because it's not yielding results.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Let's see. We have the "injuries" excuse. Although Both Larrier and Gilbert were available for mighty Wagner.

We have the Ollie didn't get the job excuse. Though perhaps if Calhoun had had the decency to leave after the season instead of a week before practice Ollie would have been named the coach full time.

Good job on the sanctions excuse. I had forgotten about that and since most players of note stay 1-3 years not sure that we have missed that much.

The always popular it's the players fault is here as expected. It's not like Ollie recruited them or coaches them (actually it is not like he coaches them).

Who's got a new excuse? Do we have the he's still learning? Like we are Central or Hartford High or something. How about we blame it on the bossanova?

If you don't like it, pick another goshdarn team to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom