ACC/SEC/B1G first rounds | The Boneyard

ACC/SEC/B1G first rounds

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
AKA, the day of tribute to the scrubs of the oversized p5 conferences. In SEC play:
  • Alabama has ended Vanderbilt's season, 77-57. Stephanie White had a trying first year (notwithstanding the marquee win over Duke).
  • Florida beat Arkansas, 71-61. Arkansas lost its last 11 games and finished 13-17. Will Jimmy Dykes be fired after just 3 years?
In the ACC:
  • Clemson beat Virginia Tech, 67-66. A tale of two half-seasons: After a 15-0 start, VT went 2-13 the rest of the way. (Will they still get a WNIT bid?)
  • Georgia Tech just now shut the door on Boston College, 71-67.
  • Up next: Pitt vs. UNC. A loss would end UNC's season since they'd finish under .500, rending them postseason-ineligible.
In the Big Ten:
  • Illinois beat Nebraska, 79-70. Another first-year coach who ends a rough season.
  • Wisconsin is up by 8 on Rutgers in the final minute. A loss would end Rutgers' season at a jaw-dropping 6-24.

Reaction Score
RIS (Shame) Nebraska. I liked them until they terminated Connie Yori for being a coach. At least Natalie Romeo landed on her feet in Washington.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Clemson's young team starting to win games for Audra Smith.

Reaction Score
AKA, the day of tribute to the scrubs of the oversized p5 conferences. In SEC play:
  • Alabama has ended Vanderbilt's season, 77-57. Stephanie White had a trying first year (notwithstanding the marquee win over Duke).
  • Florida beat Arkansas, 71-61. Arkansas lost its last 11 games and finished 13-17. Will Jimmy Dykes be fired after just 3 years?
In the ACC:
  • Clemson beat Virginia Tech, 67-66. A tale of two half-seasons: After a 15-0 start, VT went 2-13 the rest of the way. (Will they still get a WNIT bid?)
  • Up next: Pitt vs. UNC. A loss would end UNC's season since they'd finish under .500, rending them postseason-ineligible.
In the Big Ten:
  • Illinois beat Nebraska, 79-70. Another first-year coach who ends a rough season.
  • Wisconsin is up by 8 on Rutgers in the final minute. A loss would end Rutgers' season at a jaw-dropping 6-24.
I would be super surprised if VT didn't get a WNIT bid at 17-13. That tourney needs name programs.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Watched the VT/Clemson game. Refs again decided the game instead of letting players do that. With game tied foul whistled on VT center who had a clean block. Clemson sank 1/2 FT to get the win. Should have went to OT.

Reaction Score
Offense o rama in Pitt-UNC.
35-31 and only midway through 2nd quarter!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
RIS (Shame) Nebraska. I liked them until they terminated Connie Yori for being a coach. At least Natalie Romeo landed on her feet in Washington.

I know there is a huge difference between a coach resigning and being fired, but UConn has shown vis a vis Edsall that it is possible to go home again.

Maybe down the road Nebraska will come to regret their decision and offer to bring York back. I, too, found that a surprising action and think the team, for this year at least, is worse off for her not being their coach.

Reaction Score
Maybe down the road Nebraska will come to regret their decision and offer to bring York back.

Uhh, she was forced out for alleged player abuse. How could they ever bring her back?

Reaction Score
It is absolutely amazing to me how conference realignment has destroyed Rutgers and Boston College once rock solid women's basketball programs.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You had one job Pitt.... One job.... Sorry (expletive deleted) panthers :mad:Head bang

panthercub.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It is absolutely amazing to me how conference realignment has destroyed Rutgers and Boston College once rock solid women's basketball programs.

Im sure many UConn fans on here are shedding tears :rolleyes:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
In the ACC:
In the Big Ten:
White will take some time to get the program back.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Uhh, she was forced out for alleged player abuse. How could they ever bring her back?

Thanks- I'd forgotten about that!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Virginia Tech's season was bizarrely extreme.

Rutgers isn't the jewel of anything right now. I feel for our Rutgers members.

Boston College should do the right thing and volunteer to trade conferences with UConn. They are an embarrassment to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Im sure many UConn fans on here are shedding tears :rolleyes:
Maybe some feel that way, but I for one would rather that we still had the kind of local long term rivalries that we once looked forward to with both of those teams as well as with Villanova, Georgetown, Seton Hall et al.

I don't miss the brand of football that was often played on the court by Rutgers and BC but there was a real difference between the rivals we faced from game to game then that was based on many year's worth of common experience. That may and probably will come with the teams in the AAC but at this point these League games are all pretty much alike. I think that most of us are intrigued to watch the games primarily to see how well the team's chemistry is developing.

In the old Big East almost every game had the chance of finishing like last week's Tulane game, and that was really something.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
UNC's win over Pitt sets up an interesting rematch in the 2nd round against Syracuse to determine whether the Heels will be postseason-eligible. Let's recall that Hatchell was none too pleased with Coach Q at the end of their recent game at Syracuse, apparently because Q left his starters in until almost the final minute of a 30-point blowout.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Didn't care about Pitt vs UNC, but when UNC won, my only thought was its going to Geno an extra game before he passes Sylvia's number of Wins. All because of the BY thread on Coaching Wins. :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Virginia Tech's season was bizarrely extreme.

Rutgers isn't the jewel of anything right now. I feel for our Rutgers members.

Boston College should do the right thing and volunteer to trade conferences with UConn. They are an embarrassment to the ACC.
And it is in ALL SPORTS that they are getting beat at. The school simply does not have the where withal to compete as a top echelon school except in Hockey-which the last time I checked was not in the ACC...

Reaction Score
White will take some time to get the program back.

I couldn't stand Stephanie White as an announcer. She knew everything. She was constantly critical of the players' decision-making on the court, and did it in a manner that implied that if she were the coach the players would know better. If she has the same attitude as a coach, I can't imagine that players enjoy being in her program.

Reaction Score

Let's not forget, though, that she was a long-term coach with no prior complaints. Her top player, Rachel Theriot, was not a part of the player accusations, and the next best player, Natalie Romeo, claimed that the whole thing was due to some very immature players. Romeo, a super kid, is now a junior at Washington, the NCAA allowing her to play there immediately because of the coaching change at Nebraska.

I'm not saying that there's any way Yori could or even would want to come back, only that there is doubt in my mind, and many others, as to whether there was any guilt on her part.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom