ACC Network To Start in 2019; Could There Be Conference Expansion Soon? | The Boneyard

ACC Network To Start in 2019; Could There Be Conference Expansion Soon?

Reaction Score
ESPN reports: The ACC Network will launch on Aug. 22, 2019, according to commissioner John Swofford. One week later, Georgia Tech and Clemson will face off in the first football game. Could there soon be conference expansion, such as Notre Dame becoming a full member and the ACC adding one other team, such as UConn? Even with UConn's dismal football performance recently, could UConn make a case to become a P5 school?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In my opinion, Notre Dame in the CFB Playoff after only playing 12 games versus everyone else's 13 games cements their independent status for at least another decade. That one really hurts UConn but at least it follows CR Rule 1.

Our best P5 hope now is to elevate football out of dumpster fire status, re-establish ourselves as a national hoops powerhouse, and hope Aresco can negotiate more money for us until some of the P5 media deals expire in 5 years. Also hope the Big 12 doesn't poach UCF/Houston/Cincinnati/Memphis away from us in the next year or two while our football sits in the deep end of the dumpster.

No CR activity for a while actually is probably a good thing for us. Our football product couldn't possibly be worse. We don't need to be a powerhouse but we absolutely can't be 2018 awful. We're not going anywhere until that improves.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Wait until UConn-ND WBB gets put on there.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if the ONLY way ND makes the Final 4 is if they go undefeated, as they did this year.

Picture an 11-1 ND team being ranked somewhere around 3-6 going into the final week of the regular season while all of these other top 10 teams are playing a conference championship game to give them a boost in the final rankings.

The above scenario would PERHAPS motivate ND to think about going to a conference - unless they figure the playoffs will expand to 8 - in which case ND would never join a conference.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if the ONLY way ND makes the Final 4 is if they go undefeated, as they did this year.

Picture an 11-1 ND team being ranked somewhere around 3-6 going into the final week of the regular season while all of these other top 10 teams are playing a conference championship game to give them a boost in the final rankings.

The above scenario would PERHAPS motivate ND to think about going to a conference - unless they figure the playoffs will expand to 8 - in which case ND would never join a conference.

Jack Swarbrick has said in three interviews that the only thing that will cause ND football to join a conference is a mandated P4 conference champ only playoff system being implemented.

That would make it legally impossible for an independent ND to make the playoffs. The Irish football program would join the ACC about ten minutes later.

It is not the same if ND is 11-1 and misses the playoffs under the current system. There is still a legal, legitimate path to the playoffs open to them and they could tell recruits that was an isolated instance.

Swarbrick indicated that ND knows it has to go undefeated to make the playoff most years. ND figures that is just the price of doing business as a football independent and is ok with that.

I agree with Dooley. Making the playoffs this year is a significant event which cements ND's football independence for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my opinion, Notre Dame in the CFB Playoff after only playing 12 games versus everyone else's 13 games cements their independent status for at least another decade. That one really hurts UConn but at least it follows CR Rule 1.

Our best P5 hope now is to elevate football out of dumpster fire status, re-establish ourselves as a national hoops powerhouse, and hope Aresco can negotiate more money for us until some of the P5 media deals expire in 5 years. Also hope the Big 12 doesn't poach UCF/Houston/Cincinnati/Memphis away from us in the next year or two while our football sits in the deep end of the dumpster.

No CR activity for a while actually is probably a good thing for us. Our football product couldn't possibly be worse. We don't need to be a powerhouse but we absolutely can't be 2018 awful. We're not going anywhere until that improves.
No reason we can not at least elevate FB to compete with the likes of Duke, Indiana and other bottem dwellers in P5

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Jack Swarbrick has said in three interviews that the only thing that will cause ND football to join a conference is a mandated P4 conference champ only playoff system being implemented.

Which they'll never do because itd formally shut out Army and BYU. You wanna go against the troops and two religious institutions in court if you shut them out? Have fun with that PR.

Reaction Score
I'm comfortable with our current situation given the state of the football program. One thing that has given me some encouragement lately is that ESPN seems to be putting the American in the power group in terms of exposure and even commentary. The championship games are promoted heavily and even during the basketball game yesterday, they would say "You are watching the American Conference on ESPN". Previously, they said that for the power conferences but only said ""You are watching college basketball on ESPN", for us.

Reaction Score
We aren't getting into the ACC with ND. We'll get in when they see a need for more content. Because we can get eyeballs in the Northeast, we still offer a big opportunity for the Big Ten or ACC. The timing and opportunity has to be right for them to capitalize. Despite recent thinking, restoration of MBB and the growth of hockey are huge in this regard, as both will offer money making opportunities for conference networks. I really think UConn Hockey is going to thrive and just explode in popularity over time. Hockey is such a great spectator sport, especially in person and the Northeast loves its hockey.

Dooley

Reaction Score
No reason we can not at least elevate FB to compete with the likes of Duke, Indiana and other bottem dwellers in P5

Completely agree. We are never going to be a Playoff program. But we can absolutely be a 6-8 win program. It's not sexy...until you pair that with our hoops.

Reaction Score
If Oregon and Kansas State can have runs of being nationally relevant, then so can we. Just no idea when and if it'll ever happen.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'm comfortable with our current situation given the state of the football program. One thing that has given me some encouragement lately is that ESPN seems to be putting the American in the power group in terms of exposure and even commentary. The championship games are promoted heavily and even during the basketball game yesterday, they would say "You are watching the American Conference on ESPN". Previously, they said that for the power conferences but only said ""You are watching college basketball on ESPN", for us.

Honestly, I'm more and more there too. I do think UConn is a no-brainer candidate for the ACC. But that may never materialize (and probably won't now that ND can get to the Playoff with 12 games). And until it does, I think the AAC is the perfect conference for us. Basketball is improving and no surprise that it is improving as UConn (and Memphis) are improving. The Hurley hire proves that it was never the AAC conference that kept UConn hoops down. We can win on the court and in the recruiting circles regardless of what conference we play in...we're a national powerhouse program. The name on the front of the jersey is and always has been bigger than the conference name. We have a coach again that understands that. AAC Football - the top third - is every bit as good as 98% of P5 NCAAF. We need to get back to competing for early December bowl games though. And if we get some more money in the next TV/media deal, there is no reason to bat our eyes anywhere but here. Money, exposure, quality competition. Yes, the travel stinks for us. The travel will stink for us regardless of what conference we play in.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If Oregon and Kansas State can have runs of being nationally relevant, then so can we. Just no idea when and if it'll ever happen.

Oregon has Nike money. But Kansas State is a good comp. Throwing in a few more: Iowa State, Washington State, Utah, Syracuse, Boston College, Northwestern, Boise State, Cincinnati, Buffalo...there are so many!

Reaction Score
You have to wonder if Penn State decides it no longer wants to compete against Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State and a difficult crossover game against the BIG West opponent would consider a jump to the ACC? There path to the college football playoffs would be considerably easier. They can be placed in the Coastal and we could be invited to the Atlantic division. They would have as their chief rival Miami and Virginia tech in their their division.

Reaction Score
We aren't getting into the ACC with ND. We'll get in when they see a need for more content. Because we can get eyeballs in the Northeast, we still offer a big opportunity for the Big Ten or ACC. The timing and opportunity has to be right for them to capitalize. Despite recent thinking, restoration of MBB and the growth of hockey are huge in this regard, as both will offer money making opportunities for conference networks. I really think UConn Hockey is going to thrive and just explode in popularity over time. Hockey is such a great spectator sport, especially in person and the Northeast loves its hockey.
I was in Tampa last week and there was a game. It was mayhem in the downtown area. I was shocked.

Reaction Score
I love your optimism, but you all are totally delusional. UConn is not going to the ACC. There is no need for them to expand. ND is not joining the ACC full time. Why would they? They have the best of all worlds. Penn State is not leaving the B1G and their 50 million dollar pay day for 26 million in the ACC. UConn has become basically a bottom feeder in the AAC in football, middling in basketball, and average in everything else. Hockey will not get UConn invited to a P5. On top of that, UConn hockey cannot even compete with Quinnipiac and Yale in CT! Soccer has deteriorated terribly. If CR occurred now, Cinci and UCF would be ahead of UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This winter’s media negations will change the perception of the league in a big way. When the major GOR’s expire in 4-5 years, we’ll be in a vastly different position. Should Aresco truly be able to fetch “multiples” of our incumbent TV deal, we’ll be a step closer to filling the P5 dollar divide.

Reaction Score
I love your optimism, but you all are totally delusional. UConn is not going to the ACC. There is no need for then to expand. ND is not joining the ACC full time. Why would they? They have the best of all worlds. Penn State is not leaving the B1G and their 50 million dollar pay day for 26 million in the ACC. UConn has become basically a bottom feeder in the AAC in football, middling in basketball, and average in everything else. Hockey will not get UConn invited to a P5. On top of that, UConn hockey cannot even compete with Quinnipiac and Yale in CT! Soccer has deteriorated terribly. If CR occurred now, Cinci and UCF would be ahead of UConn.

Your impassioned rant is not only over the top, but literally no one in the thread even thinks UConn is going to a P5 anytime soon.

However, UConn is one good football season away from being right in the thick of things going forward. Hockey is recruiting well and will improve and basketball with Hurley is coming back fast. We have the same ol’ problem. Losing football games.
UConn offers far more broadcast content than the other schools. Two national basketball programs, football, hockey (popular in B1G), baseball and a captive market in the northeast megalopolis.

Saying stupid crap doesn’t make it true. UCF has ONE marketable team and people in Florida just don’t care about UCF much. They have a small cult following.

Reaction Score
This winter’s media negations will change the perception of the league in a big way. When the major GOR’s expire in 4-5 years, we’ll be in a vastly different position. Should Aresco truly be able to fetch “multiples” of our incumbent TV deal, we’ll be a step closer to filling the P5 dollar divide.
The ACC GOR does not expire until 2036, so that is not an option. The Big 12, if they were to expand will likely take competitive and like minded schools from the south and west.
Your impassioned rant is not only over the top, but literally no one in the thread even thinks UConn is going to a P5 anytime soon.

However, UConn is one good football season away from being right in the thick of things going forward. Hockey is recruiting well and will improve and basketball with Hurley is coming back fast. We have the same ol’ problem. Losing football games.
UConn offers far more broadcast content than the other schools. Two national basketball programs, football, hockey (popular in B1G), baseball and a captive market in the northeast megalopolis.

Saying stupid crap doesn’t make it true. UCF has ONE marketable team and people in Florida just don’t care about UCF much. They have a small cult following.
I was responding to the post of UConn tailgater who thought UConn could be invited to the Coastal Division of the ACC. Therefore, there is someone in this thread (and many, many others) that think UConn is going to a P5 anytime soon. The one good football season you describe seems to be a few years away, at best. I unfortunately just don't see the captive NE market that you describe. I do think there is a market, but it is not a captive market at this time. Too much professional sports available. If that is/was the case, UConn would have been taken into the B1G with Rutgers. UCF has now surpassed UConn in its desirability to P5 like it or not. The population of Florida is growing, they have a very large alumni base, their athletics are improving by leaps and bounds, and there is room for another school from Florida in the P5. Nothing I said was untrue whether you consider it a rant or not. Time to embrace the AAC!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
[QUOTE I unfortunately just don't see the captive NE market that you describe. I do think there is a market, but it is not a captive market at this time. Too much professional sports available. If that is/was the case, UConn would have been taken into the B1G with Rutgers. [/QUOTE]

Your argument that CT isn't a good P5 market because there are professional sports in the area doesn't make any sense. There are 6 P5 schools in North and South Carolina plus professional sports. That's 15m people total divided by 6 schools =2.5m per school. CT has 3.5m and only 1 school. UConn is a much bigger draw to people in the state than professional teams anyway. There are plenty of fans to support UConn FB as we've shown in the past. They just need to get back to winning.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE I unfortunately just don't see the captive NE market that you describe. I do think there is a market, but it is not a captive market at this time. Too much professional sports available. If that is/was the case, UConn would have been taken into the B1G with Rutgers.

Your argument that CT isn't a good P5 market because there are professional sports in the area doesn't make any sense. There are 6 P5 schools in North and South Carolina plus professional sports. That's 15m people total divided by 6 schools =2.5m per school. CT has 3.5m and only 1 school. UConn is a much bigger draw to people in the state than professional teams anyway. There are plenty of fans to support UConn FB as we've shown in the past. They just need to get back to winning.[/QUOTE]
I don't disagree with you. However, I have been to sports bars on in CT when UConn has been playing and I needed to ask them to put on the UConn game. Not necessarily a "caprive" audience.

Reaction Score
"I don't disagree with you. However, I have been to sports bars on in CT when UConn has been playing and I needed to ask them to put on the UConn game. Not necessarily a "caprive" audience."

Well I guess that settles it then. I can't post a rebuttal against such fool-proof logic.

Reaction Score
You have to wonder if Penn State decides it no longer wants to compete against Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State and a difficult crossover game against the BIG West opponent would consider a jump to the ACC? There path to the college football playoffs would be considerably easier. They can be placed in the Coastal and we could be invited to the Atlantic division. They would have as their chief rival Miami and Virginia tech in their their division.

The simple answer is no. The revenue generated by the conference alone dictates that Penn State will never leave. That said if you go beyond the fields of play the university itself is a far better institutional fit with the programs of The Big 10 (Large academically inclined state schools) than it is with the combination of publics and private schools of varying size and academic quality.

A further examination of the sports that Penn State enjoys great success in and that our fans consistently support through attendance and donations (Wrestling, Hockey, Women's Volleyball) are all greatly benefited by Big 10 Association. It is hard to argue that the four spectator sports that Penn State does not excel in, M/W Basketball and Baseball/Softball would be that much better in The ACC.

Basketball would be about the same. Lower third of the conference(admittedly with more exciting opponents on average). Baseball/softball would both likely remain toward the bottom of either conference. Good players in these Summer time sports primarily head south or west for college. Being in The ACC won't change that. Our programs' struggles in these four sports are more to do with our administration's acceptance of mediocrity in them because they don't run a deficit. They're happy cashing the checks that football provides.

While UConn's most logical end conference remains The ACC, because of its similarities in size, geography, academics, and sporting focus, I remain Pro-B1G Membership for The Huskies. I understand that the usual suspects will shout down the possibility of it ever happening, but with the changing dynamics of broadcasting there may come a time where a school like UConn with its number of quality athletic programs may be deemed more valuable than a school that just happens to be located in a densely populated state with high numbers of cable subscribers. Adding Uconn M/W Basketball, Hockey, Baseball, Soccer, and possibly someday Lacrosse are all programs that might sell subs under a different model. Adding a UConn and lets say Kansas adds a lot to the potential broadcasting rights of the conference from December to Aug without increasing the difficulty for PSU, OSU, and UM to compete for The Playoff from September to November.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom