ACC Network delayed longer, says Atlanta newspaper | The Boneyard

ACC Network delayed longer, says Atlanta newspaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
David Teel ‏@DavidTeelatDP · 3h3 hours ago
Statement from John Swofford on report that ESPN delaying an #ACC channel: "Anything said ... is premature and speculative."

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I wonder if the delay will have any impact on accelerating the timelines for some of us that need the call. Does this mean the ACC will look to add a few more brands and markets (cough, cough)? Or are they slowing down because they're confident that the B12 will just keep bumbling along down the ol' Big East's path of self-destruction? I also wonder if this will loosen up a few ACC schools.

Or maybe this has nothing to do with anything other than trying to keep the B1G bidding down. Sending out all of these cost-cutting, layoff, delayed launch signals might be an effort to keep FOX from bidding overly aggressively.

Conspiracy theories abound (in my head)!

Reaction Score
I wonder if the delay will have any impact on accelerating the timelines for some of us that need the call. Does this mean the ACC will look to add a few more brands and markets (cough, cough)? Or are they slowing down because they're confident that the B12 will just keep bumbling along down the ol' Big East's path of self-destruction? I also wonder if this will loosen up a few ACC schools.

Or maybe this has nothing to do with anything other than trying to keep the B1G bidding down. Sending out all of these cost-cutting, layoff, delayed launch signals might be an effort to keep FOX from bidding overly aggressively.

Conspiracy theories abound (in my head)!

A couple of things. The news was broken by the Georgia Tech President. There was this post on TechSideline:

GT a key player IMHO
Like Maryland, GT has no strings attached within their state. And I think the B1G would want them.
They have no conference in-state peer preventing them from leaving (like the UVa-VT relationship). And they have no in-state rival preventing them access to a desirable B1G (a la Clemson trying to get into the SEC and being blocked by SCar).
Their president's opinion matters.

Also, regarding Dan Wolken:

Wolken is a national CFB writer
He is based in Atlanta where GT Is.

Reaction Score
Statement from John Swofford on report that ESPN delaying an #ACC channel: "Anything said ... is premature and speculative."

The priceless irony here is everything Swofford has been telling us for 2-3 years about the ACC Network has been premature and speculative. Sounds from his non-denial denial that the report is right on the money. As I think most of us figured, ESPN wasn't gung ho about re-negotiating rights they already had, but especially now that they don't want to invest in the money to launch the network with finances so tight.

This isn't getting off the ground for several years.

Reaction Score
"In exchange for a later start date, ESPN could make additional payments on top of the rights fees already paid to the conference, Peterson said."

I guess it depends on how much the ACC gets extra for agreeing to hold off on the Network. Seems like ESPN is just paying them off, and we know this is all about the money...

Reaction Score
"In exchange for a later start date, ESPN could make additional payments on top of the rights fees already paid to the conference, Peterson said."

I guess it depends on how much the ACC gets extra for agreeing to hold off on the Network. Seems like ESPN is just paying them off, and we know this is all about the money...
The rumor is 2 million per team, not enough to keep up with the Big 10 or SEC.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Lawdy, so now ESPN is paying more to the ACC to not have a network? Who's making decisions in Bristol? Can they see past the nose on their face?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Lawdy, so now ESPN is paying more to the ACC to not have a network? Who's making decisions in Bristol? Can they see past the nose on their face?

Seems like some serious mismanagement going on over there. No wonder why they're firing personalities and staff left and right. Not only are they outbidding themselves on several contracts, but now they are paying a conference more money for no other reason than they are scared of launch losses.

Reaction Score
Seems like some serious mismanagement going on over there. No wonder why they're firing personalities and staff left and right. Not only are they outbidding themselves on several contracts, but now they are paying a conference more money for no other reason than they are scared of launch losses.

I think the ACCN was written into the ACC media contract with ESPN to help keep the ACC together and push the football schools to sign a GORs. The $2 mill number being tossed around is the supposed financial offset if the ACCN doesn't get launched. Hard to believe Clemson, Florida St., and Georgia Tech will be happy about no ACCN as the revenue gap with the other P5 conferences is about to widen.

Reaction Score
Was not the $2 million simply a way to help finance their network?

ESPN: "Look, the network thing is risky... We'll give you $x per, but if you really want a network that will be $x - $2 million to help get it rolling."

Spin that around to "We'll give you $2 Million if we don't build a network".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The ACC Network is a corpse.

Demographics are dead set against it.

The ACC is subordinate in nearly every market it competes in or largely irrelevant in markets that it owns.

Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky....spoken for by the SEC Network.

DC to New York.....Big Ten Network.

Boston, Indiana....giggle.

ESPN isn't particularly interested in forming a network that might only contend for top dollar in Carolina and Virginia. (At least until the Big Ten and SEC come calling again in the mid-2020's.)

Reaction Score
The ACC Network is a corpse.

Demographics are dead set against it.

The ACC is subordinate in nearly every market it competes in or largely irrelevant in markets that it owns.

Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky....spoken for by the SEC Network.

DC to New York.....Big Ten Network.

Boston, Indiana....giggle.

ESPN isn't particularly interested in forming a network that might only contend for top dollar in Carolina and Virginia. (At least until the Big Ten and SEC come calling again in the mid-2020's.)

Perhaps even sooner. I still contend that GOR can be broken like any business contract. For example, can a school open a branch in Ireland and move all their assets there while maintaining exempt status? Before you all attack me, I'm just joking. My point is, lawyers are real good. If a school is dying a slow death in a conference and the Big comes a calling, watch southern loyalty and demographics go flying away.

Reaction Score
If only someone, anyone, would take Syracuse, Pitt, and Boston College. They do fit well with the east-northeast (Rutgers, UConn, Maryland, PSU).

But that seems unlikely.

I could see VT leaving the ACC....They have a relatively short time attachment.

But...I really think that all we will do is talk about it for the next eight or more years.

Reaction Score
Someone did. The Florida State Seminoles.
Yup.

Bobby Bowden has said many times that he steered the 'Noles to the ACC instead of the SEC because he felt he'd have a better chance of winning a national championship. And he was right. His teams won crowns in 1993 and '99, all the while running roughshod over the rest of the conference. Eventually the 'Noles' dominance motivated other programs like Clemson to raise their game. It also paved the way for the ACC's second expansion a decade later.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ns-texas-longhorns-realignment-mailbag-061715

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
So, Swoffy spoke prematurely and speculatively?

Reaction Score
If only someone, anyone, would take Syracuse, Pitt, and Boston College. They do fit well with the east-northeast (Rutgers, UConn, Maryland, PSU).

But that seems unlikely...
It seems unlikely because, other than geography, those schools don't fit well at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom